Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:26:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need an Idiots Guide to Port Forwarding/Proxies  (Read 2764 times)
adam1230 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:44:16 PM

Okay so after many days of frustration I have finally decided I need to set up port forwarding and a proxy at home in order to mine coins here at the office. The office firewall only allows ports 8080 and 8001 for mining. Many of the coins I want to mine and many of the pools I want to connect to do not allow these ports (especially over stratum).

So here is what I know:

I know I need to set up port forwarding at home
I know I need a proxy server
I know I need a static ip address for the miner to point to (obtained from noip.com)

Here is what I dont know:

Is the port forwarding supposed to be going from my miner to my home PC where the proxy server is set up or to the pool directly?

If the latter, why do I need a proxy server at all? Why cant I just use port forwarding to mine coins?

How do I set up the proxy server to send the miner info to the pool and to receive pool info and push it back to the miner at work?

I have looked at proxifier and ccproxy but they seem like they are just doing the same thing as the port forwarding so I dont understand what their purpose is in all of this. I have access to them and can use them if someone knows how to do it. If there is an easier way please let me know.

Thanks in advance. I hope someone knows enough about this to be able to explain it so I can finally use my miners for something profitable.
aznatama

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 09:45:33 PM

Any Location  ---(via allowed port X)---> Home PC setup w/ stratum proxy listening on port Y ---(via pool port)---> Pool

Port X in your case your case would be 8080 or 8001
Port Y would be your computer or router's listening port (8080 or 8001 for router, but you can forward from router to any open port on your home PC)

Proxy you can use 32-bit bfgminer or Slush's mining_proxy.  I prefer bfgminer.

No need for a static IP if you use dynamic DNS
adam1230 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 12:59:59 PM

Thanks, aznatama!

I actually finally figured this all out last night. Difficulty is the mother of learning I guess. Now I can mine to any pool from my miners at the office.

If anyone has this issue and needs a detailed explaination or tutorial just PM me.
AU_AG

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 06:55:04 PM

Thanks, aznatama!

I actually finally figured this all out last night. Difficulty is the mother of learning I guess. Now I can mine to any pool from my miners at the office.

If anyone has this issue and needs a detailed explaination or tutorial just PM me.

Hi I need this info in yr 2017 for my A4 Dominator tf from home only connects to 8080 . If your even active and this msg gets to you. And if you remember.

thx
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: