Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 07:00:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think any of the other "alt" currencies will overtake bitcoin?  (Read 4043 times)
Zavdub

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:23:53 AM

I agree that the crypto-currency scene isn't really a competition and that coins will depend on each other later to possibly give more support.
Itun

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:30:54 AM

I highly doubt any alt coin will overtake BTC.

BTC is the original, it has momentum, and there are no advantages alt coins have over BTC.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 04:50:50 AM

An alt coin *will* take the top spot from bitcoin.  But it won't happen quickly, and unless we see an alt more innovative than we've seen yet, it won't happen at all.

It'll take a coin that offers *MAJOR* capabilities that Bitcoin doesn't have.
Bitcoin-hotep

Activity: 308
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 05:07:05 AM

I think coins will all be friends soon very very soon

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3274

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 05:47:04 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2013, 05:58:00 AM by odolvlobo

I think some perspective would be helpful. Here are the market caps of some cryptocurrencies (from http://coinmarketcap.com):

Here they are again without Bitcoin:

And without Bitcoin or Litecoin:

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 05:49:36 AM

I think some perspective would be helpful. Here are the market caps of some cryptocurrencies:

- snip -

Where did you get these graphs?

eternaluniverse

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 05:55:58 AM

Things are weird as bitcoin is in a speculative slump itself, but I always believed litecoin is over-evaluated in respect to its exchange with btc as of lately. Litecoin is attractive because its easier to get in to, but the same problems they solved will become their own once they get bigger. My hope is for litecoin to fail as its syphoning off bitcoins market cap. People aren't used to crypto coins yet, we shouldn't be dividing ourselves...
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 06:12:19 AM

I think some perspective would be helpful. Here are the market caps of some cryptocurrencies:
- snip -
Where did you get these graphs?

I made them with data from http://coinmarketcap.com. I'll update my post with this address.

Oh if you didnt know, I wasnt being sarcastic, I found them really cool!

Bitcoin-hotep

Activity: 308
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 06:39:48 AM

Someone should share Doge Coin on 4Chan

I don't know how to use 4Chan but I am pretty sure that Doge Coin would catch on there

hewho

Activity: 11

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:20:31 AM

The problem is that all other currencies are valued in BTC. To get into the game, people have to buy BTC and exchange it for something else. As soon as there is an easy way to buy altcoins directly, without having to go through BTCs first, you will see BTC lose market share.
zuerdemon

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:52:32 AM

Another coin might come close but it will be pretty hard to overtake it.

I bet 10,000 coin attempt might become magically the one overtaking Bitcoin, making Mr.Unknown who created the coin with his 1 day of work wealthy
Elkuurbitcoins

Activity: 49

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 10:52:38 AM

Once a big company like Google, Apple or PayPal launches their own crypto-currency, it will definitely be able to overtake BTC. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

All the other altcoins... Nah, I don't think so...
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 2207

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 10:58:34 AM

Easy Answer: Nope.
Hard Answer: Nope.
Complex Answer: No-pe.

I don't have anything against alt-coins, but as long as they don't solve a mayor flaw in Bitcoin it won't happen.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
Fraxinus
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:01:50 AM

Probably not, BTC is the leader and will be unless there are some very good improvements over btc

kalup

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 11:19:53 AM

I think that when bitcoin protocol will no longer considered strong, other cryptocurrency will be adopted ... i think that probably the community will push for the best cryptovalue basing on generation methods, like PoW or real utility of mining (ie. primecoins)
macjd

Activity: 44

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:22:23 AM

Realistically bitcoin would have to have some major flaw that destabilizes it before it would be threatened by any coin after the ammount of interest in the brand name has received.
Ceday

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:38:30 AM

Once a big company like Google, Apple or PayPal launches their own crypto-currency, it will definitely be able to overtake BTC. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

All the other altcoins... Nah, I don't think so...

I honestly don't see that happening at all. I would assume companies like Google, Apple, Paypal, they would be the ones to oppose to anonymous transactions and if they were to take that aspect of the crypto-currency away, then there would be no demand.

Tesla on the other hand, they are not liable for their cars after the point of sale (I am sure they somewhat are but you all get my point) and they would probably not expect a returning customer so anonymous transactions work for them.

Not the greatest comparison but that is like saying if Tesla were to launch their own crypto-currency, they would dominate the automotive industry.
Clevercoin

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 12:20:05 PM

I do not suppose any of the 'alt' currencies will overtake Bitcoins because of the current adoption rate of the current Bitcoin. The adoption process does take time. Authorities and banks are making decisions about the Bitcoins because of its winning terrain. They are not talking about any of the alternate currencies yet because of the low market vs the BTC market (potential).

flipboxx

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 12:39:23 PM

I don't think that any Alt-currency will overtake Bitcoin. BUT, currencies such as Litecoin, Peercoin and others are absolutely able to catch up and have a considerable value in Fiat. Anyway, this whole crypto-thing is quite young. So I suggest to just see where the market goes !  Wink Smiley
johncoin

Activity: 24

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:05:51 PM

Bitcoin is young, maybe in puberty now and altcoins are babies. This whole crypto thing is totaly new experience for human kind so nobody can't tell what will happen in next 5 years. BTC can fall down and some baby altcoin would be able to replace it because...noone can tell now the reasons, noone can imagine what the future brings
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: