Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:54:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin wallet question  (Read 1018 times)
Paul337

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:58:54 PM

Coinbase is an online wallet and they have full access over your funds. Obviously its easier to deal with and it's a more familiar way for most of the newcomers but online wallets have failed people many times before.

I am reminded of the saying "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket". If you have a lot of bitcoins, I think the sensible thing to do is to spread them between all available options.
dan123

Activity: 55
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 07:47:16 PM

Coinbase is an online wallet and they have full access over your funds. Obviously its easier to deal with and it's a more familiar way for most of the newcomers but online wallets have failed people many times before.
[/quote]

I am reminded of the saying "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket". If you have a lot of bitcoins, I think the sensible thing to do is to spread them between all available options.
[/quote]
Yes, I'm thinking the best option is to put it in 2 online wallets.  Coinbase being one of them.  I'm guessing their Venture Capitalists that have funded them are making sure they are securing things they way they say they are in the website.

What large online wallet backed by various VCs have failed in the past?  Educate me. The ones that i have read about failing are set up by drug dealers and are 1 or 2 working part time on the site.
Paul337

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:01:48 PM

What large online wallet backed by various VCs have failed in the past?  Educate me. The ones that i have read about failing are set up by drug dealers and are 1 or 2 working part time on the site.

Multibit is the only one I have ever used. I find it very good and I have had no problems with it, although for some reason I tend to feel more secure using Coinbase.
xSerendipity

Activity: 27

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:18:34 PM

I personally prefer blockchain.info myself, it's a lot more convenient than having to download the actual blockchain.
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:23:25 PM

I personally prefer blockchain.info myself, it's a lot more convenient than having to download the actual blockchain.

yeah, but when you downloaded a wallet, it's all in your hands and you don't depend on hacker attacks,crashes etc. Smiley

sadycz

Activity: 15

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:29:43 PM

sinc it once , have a good antivirus and keep your money in your pocket Cheesy
pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:38:31 PM

What large online wallet backed by various VCs have failed in the past?  Educate me. The ones that i have read about failing are set up by drug dealers and are 1 or 2 working part time on the site.

Obviously coinbase looks 100 times more secure and professional than all those wallets that got "hacked" but it is still yet another online wallet.
Bitcoin.org even has a warning for online wallets in their choose a wallet section.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: