Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:55:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin, Spouses and Divorce  (Read 2134 times)
lorix (OP)

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 06:35:53 AM

Hello Folks,

I was listening to a Bitcoin podcast the other day and the speaker mentioned that one person had written to him asking for advice - his wife had heard about Bitcoin in the mainstream media and the price rise and was pressuring him to cash it all out immediately or she would leave him.

I don't know how that particular fellow ended up but it got me thinking - for those of us with partners who are not into Bitcoin, have you ever had pressure put on you to sell it up and are they even aware of how much BTC you are actually holding?

There is a bigger picture here as well, with some people holding hundreds or thousands of BTC and the price continuing to go up - how might the court system view Bitcoin in the context of divorce and separation?

It certainly raises an interesting point.

Thoughts?

Proud family man, futurist and all-round Bitcoin fanatic! Smiley
1KBN5gTzX3ECSu9XHrsZJPsMn7vjT67ciF

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bigdude

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

Dolphins Finance TRUSTED FINANCE

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 06:40:14 AM

Address = Never Give to Wife  = courts don't know jack

lorix (OP)

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 06:48:18 AM

Just to clarify - I personally don't hide my BTC from her, if anything I wish she would be into Bitcoin too!

I'm just curious if anyone's partner has suddenly "woken up" to the value of Bitcoin and demanding you cash out immediately, perhaps after listening to the MSM and thinking it's some kind of bubble or ponzi scheme...  Angry

Proud family man, futurist and all-round Bitcoin fanatic! Smiley
1KBN5gTzX3ECSu9XHrsZJPsMn7vjT67ciF
blkitty

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:02:15 AM

Just to clarify - I personally don't hide my BTC from her, if anything I wish she would be into Bitcoin too!

I'm just curious if anyone's partner has suddenly "woken up" to the value of Bitcoin and demanding you cash out immediately, perhaps after listening to the MSM and thinking it's some kind of bubble or ponzi scheme...  Angry

The media is hyping up Bitcoins. Some people in the media are hyping it up so much that they think it'll go to $1,000,000. Show her that news Grin
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:03:53 AM

i hope this story doesn't bring out the misogynists out in you guys.. she is probably a controlling bitch, but.. well, shit, i can't really defend her.

if i were the guy, i'd rather divorce her than let her emasculate me like that.
laowai80

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:09:39 AM

"Listen to a woman and do the opposite of what she tells you" - that works pretty good, you should try it too Smiley
beetcoin

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:10:59 AM

lol let's all be woman hating chauvanists..

i bet she wanted to cash all that money out to buy a new dress or purse. can you imagine how pissed off the husband would be if BTC went to $10k and it turns out she wanted the money for buying shit she didn't need Cheesy
Ozymandias

Activity: 644

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:19:46 AM

Don't invest in a marriage what you aren't prepared to lose. This should be common sense to everyone but especially poignant to "investors".
beetcoin

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:21:42 AM

sometimes the desire for poonanny supercedes all logical reasoning.. and sometimes guys just love dominant women. you can confirm that with misstress_magpie  Wink
laowai80

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:26:14 AM

What are you talking about. I love women, when they behave like women. When they don't, well, right there, show the *itch who's the boss. Always works. When it doesn't, time to look for a new woman.
beetcoin

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:29:25 AM

What are you talking about. I love women, when they behave like women. When they don't, well, right there, show the *itch who's the boss. Always works. When it doesn't, time to look for a new woman.

men rule the world, but women rule men. the guys with power and wealth have it all, but they can't control their urge for a pretty woman... just ask the likes of anthony weiner. i am reminded of this when i see women getting bitcoin from horny donors, or when a woman gets her claim to fame for purposefully getting into a scandal. that chick who sexted anthony weiner was obviously aiming for that money and fame, and man did she get it  Cheesy
laowai80

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:33:14 AM

Better learn to control that urge, dude Smiley
beetcoin

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:41:27 AM

i look at threads like these https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=358254.0 and i think to myself "it's kinda hard." i am programmed to get a boner when i see a picture like that.. and bad things happen when the blood flow stops going to your brain.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:57:51 AM

I was listening to a Bitcoin podcast the other day and the speaker mentioned that one person had written to him asking for advice - his wife had heard about Bitcoin in the mainstream media and the price rise and was pressuring him to cash it all out immediately or she would leave him.

The first mistake he made was that he gave all the details of his BTC stash to his wife.

BTW... if she is going to leave him if he doesn't cash out all his coins, then I think she will do that even if he does everything as per her orders.

Men like pretty women, and women like wealthy men.  Grin
laowai80

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:00:01 AM

i look at threads like these https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=358254.0 and i think to myself "it's kinda hard." i am programmed to get a boner when i see a picture like that.. and bad things happen when the blood flow stops going to your brain.

The hardest fight is with yourself Smiley
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:13:52 AM

One word: prenup. Anyone who won't agree to a prenup clearly doesn't respect your property rights, and if they don't respect your rights, then they don't respect you as a person, so why the fuck are you even marrying them?

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:12:49 AM

One word: prenup. Anyone who won't agree to a prenup clearly doesn't respect your property rights, and if they don't respect your rights, then they don't respect you as a person, so why the fuck are you even marrying them?

The problem with prenups is that in most of the EU nations, lawyers can tear down the agreement and make it near worthless.
HoboTheClown

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:33:38 AM

Good God..  Prenups!  lol.  Well I could understand if the SO wants to keep their property especially if it's before marriage and they have a decent fortune (even if it's a nice house or some collection).  If the SO agrees, then you know they don't care much about the money. 

In any case, if the SO didn't give a crap about you and your bitcoins, keep them for yourself Smiley.  I tell my wife about it but she doesn't think much about it just as long as I'm careful with what I'm doing.  In the event of something happening, I'd still give half to her. 

Now in court, that's a different story Smiley.  If you got married and accumulated bitcoins afterwards, half belongs to her.  But who's to say you ever had an account Smiley.  If she finds out you filthy rich after a few years and the value of bitcoins rockets up, you'll sure to be getting a letter from the courts to review your finances.
laowai80

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:39:33 AM

In the event of something happening, I'd still give half to her. 

what, even if she cheated on you with another guy, you'd still give her half? Don't say this is impossible, you never know with women Smiley
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:48:07 AM

Now in court, that's a different story Smiley.  If you got married and accumulated bitcoins afterwards, half belongs to her.  But who's to say you ever had an account Smiley

If she finds out you filthy rich after a few years and the value of bitcoins rockets up, you'll sure to be getting a letter from the courts to review your finances.

If the ex-wife finds the guy filthy rich after few years, there is not much that she can do. The guy can claim that he got the wealth through legitimate means AFTER the marriage was dissolved.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: