Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 02:13:55 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin transaction fees  (Read 445 times)
anonkun (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:21:20 AM

There's a thing that's been nagging me for a while is that when you send bitcoins from your wallet, it requires a transaction fee. However, on the wiki, it says something on the lines of transaction fees helping the transaction get verified quicker. If I don't care how long a transaction takes, why can't I make the fee 0? Why does the wallet force a transaction fee?
zubelutte

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:26:10 AM

There's a thing that's been nagging me for a while is that when you send bitcoins from your wallet, it requires a transaction fee. However, on the wiki, it says something on the lines of transaction fees helping the transaction get verified quicker. If I don't care how long a transaction takes, why can't I make the fee 0? Why does the wallet force a transaction fee?

Read wiki about high priority transactions, in some cases the transaction can be free (but can take days to confirm)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4658

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:41:43 PM

Why does the wallet force a transaction fee?

Because you have chosen to use a wallet that enforces certain minimum fees in some situations.  If you prefer not to be forced to pay fees, then find (or pay someone to create) a different wallet program.  Be aware however, that in some circumstances your transaction will not get very far at all and may NEVER get confirmed if you don't include a reasonable fee.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: