Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 08:30:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Imaginary Bitcoin Apocalypse - thoughts?  (Read 1121 times)
itayl2 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:15:03 AM

I'm new to this, so just thinking...

Say some company, let's call her X, has almost unlimited resources (think Google). For some reason or another, that company is now motivated to crash Bitcoin.

If that semi-limitless company invests 10 billions dollars in building the most gigantic ridiculous Bitcoin farm in the world (10 billion is not that much, go check how much the tobacco industry spends on lobbyism / marketing).

Can either of the following things happen?
1. The computing mass increases to such a degree, and in turn the difficulty increases to such a degree, that no one but them and perhaps a few other big companis can remain in the game without losing ridiculous amounts of money, thus leaving them with more than 50% of the mass ( or they remain even though it's no longer profitable for them, just to be more than 50%)

2. They posses so much computing mass % that they simply pass the 50%

If I'm an idiot and do no understand some mechanisms involved here - please explain how I'm wrong and why Smiley
techstorm2

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:40:54 AM

Why would any company, however large throw away 10 billion from their bottom line to simply crash bitcoin, id like to see them justify that to shareholders! ouch  Shocked

even if it was technically feasible, which im not convinced of. Companies like google are too busy looking at making profits out of new technologies like driverless cars etc..

Dime 7Q3cZtyJemmE8pJsrYgX24mHnkqZX6M6hP
BTC 18vbvovBeM5ZTZqR5ZWAy75EXE7qTNipuo
Mooncoin 2QgyivUMa7Zun6oPdxeE1yry1aNp5hqrDb
LTC Lg3UYGCAe3Tb146PiMqeGNLR7bnjdM447d
Doge DPd1XejW8TabJu5gfjyKnuQYQ9Vzw1anXN
Bitventurer

Activity: 488
Merit: 250

S P 8 D E

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 11:44:30 AM

it will be replaced by another currency which will be based on PoS ?
fighting a cryptocurrency is insane.

SP8DE - The Game of Chance. Changed.
itayl2 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 12:26:28 PM

Why would any company, however large throw away 10 billion from their bottom line to simply crash bitcoin, id like to see them justify that to shareholders! ouch  Shocked

even if it was technically feasible, which im not convinced of. Companies like google are too busy looking at making profits out of new technologies like driverless cars etc..

Scenario -

World Bank: "Oh hey Google, listen, we need your help - please take 5 of your most skilled guys and setup this bitcoin farm for us, we'll give you 10 billion which we obviously have. Thanks!"

Google: "Sure, would you like fries with that?"

It's that easy. Bitcoin (and all other cryptocurrencies) is against some major interests.
itayl2 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 12:34:17 PM

it will be replaced by another currency which will be based on PoS ?
fighting a cryptocurrency is insane.

It's extremely resource consuming, but insane is context dependent.

If you say to the world bank they would need to invest 10 billion annually to maintain their grasp on the world economy - they'd do it in a heartbeat.
If you say to all the major banks in the world they would need to invest 20 million each, annually, to do that same - they too, would do it in a heartbeat.

"It's unlikely" / "It would take humongous amounts of resources" don't really apply to apocalypse scenarios... Obviously apocalypse means some super major events have occurred already.

I'm asking whether there is a technical / logical error in my scenario.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 01:09:49 PM

Well... my guess is that an unholy alliance of Paypal, Goldman, Western Union, Visa, Master.etc will seriously consider doing this, if their business gets affected by BTC in the near future.
itayl2 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 01:13:03 PM

Well... my guess is that an unholy alliance of Paypal, Goldman, Western Union, Visa, Master.etc will seriously consider doing this, if their business gets affected by BTC in the near future.

Agreed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: