Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:21:26 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Number of blade workers, does it matter?  (Read 854 times)
delta11965 (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:43:06 AM

I was wondering when running 5 to 10 blades pool mining doesn't it matter or change anything if you where to run each on a separate worker opposed to all on one worker?
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 02:22:22 PM

No.  But why you'd want to.  Run everything through a proxy.  Having the Blades do getwork across the internet is a recipe for disaster.
delta11965 (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:18:23 PM

I am running a proxy, i was talking about the number of workers. is it better to have one worker at 50GH or 5 workers at 10GH each?
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:22:56 PM

I am running a proxy, i was talking about the number of workers. is it better to have one worker at 50GH or 5 workers at 10GH each?

It makes no difference.  Here's the 'need to know' bits about blades & proxies (or any large farm behind a proxy):

Stratum connections assign difficulty on a per-connection basis.  When mining on a proxy, all your workers are on one single connection.  This means your individual worker stats will always be slightly off.  The total of all your workers should average out to the proper rate, but one worker might show 2x and two workers might show 0.5x due to share variance.  It mostly depends on how many miners share the proxy, and if all the miners are similar speeds.

Using separate workers helps on the pool side because you can see if one individual worker is not performing.  Internal monitoring is generally more reliable, but many pools like BTC Guild can alert you when a worker is no longer submitting shares.  If you have too many workers on one proxy, you may want to turn that off, or run 2-3 proxies and split your workers.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
kfactor

Activity: 138
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:50:28 PM

... If you have too many workers on one proxy, you may want to turn that off, or run 2-3 proxies and split your workers.

Using BFGminer, is every instance considered a separate proxy or do pools lump connections by IP?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: