Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 07:27:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin-Qt Mac network sync takes days?  (Read 3827 times)
EmberMike (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 04:25:59 PM

My first network sync with Litecoin-Qt has been running for over 24 hours now and is about 1/4 of the way done. Is this normal? Should it really take a few days to sync?

And once it's done, does it take this long for every sync after?
minecrater

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:18:10 PM

Hey EmberMike...did your litecoin qt ever finish syncing? I'm running into the same problem as you, im 2.5 days in and not even at 50% completion yet. Im using the bootstrap.dat and booted up the client via terminal (using Mac/ SnowLeopard on a MacBook Pro) using the -reindex arg. Neither of which seem to speed things up. I'm assuming that after ~20 days yours has finlly finished syncing (i hope at least!). any tips or suggestions?
Doge Road

Activity: 22

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:21:37 PM

You doing it wrong, should sync much faster.
minecrater

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:32:07 PM

Could you perhaps tell me what Im doing wrong? I know this shouldn't be taking this long, but for the life of me can't figure out wtf is going on. I followed the directions on the wiki (99.9% sure i followed them correctly at least...). Again, any help would be super appreciated. No idea why this is syncing so effing slow.
Doge Road

Activity: 22

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 01:19:27 AM

I would really tell you, but I don't know. I am sorry.

Do you see open IRC connections, when checking open network connections?
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 01:24:15 AM

This problem happens when the node that you are trying to download the blockchain from is low-bandwidth.

The way the client works, it picks one node to be the source for the blockchain, and then as long as that node remains on line it will never try to download from anything else.  So if you run into a node that's way out between the boondocks and the sky on a 19.2k/second connection, or if you run into someone who's throttling the upload bandwidth, You get to wait.  A Long Time.

The recommended fix is to shut down your client, fix your 'addnode' list to get a different set of peers, and try again. You won't lose the stuff you have already downloaded, so it's pretty painless.

minecrater

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 01:41:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me how to fix the addnode list to get a different set of peers? This is probably a huge noob question but I'd really like to get this synced finally! Thanks I advance!
infinitybo

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 02:37:03 PM

@EmberMike Not at all, moreover Litecoin-Qt  is good and Mac is good and more importantly the network is pretty fast !
Cryddit
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:22:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me how to fix the addnode list to get a different set of peers? This is probably a huge noob question but I'd really like to get this synced finally! Thanks I advance!

Honestly, I don't know what the best nodes on the Litecoin network are, so I can't help so much there.  I just know it uses the same code for that stuff that Bitcoin does. 

As for the method, you usually have the addnode list in your conf file, and you fix it by adding the IP addresses of some fast well-connected nodes.  Alternatively you can also give an '--addnode=[IP address]' argument on the command line (or batch file, or whatever you use) where you start the Litecoin client. 
minecrater

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:41:23 PM

Great, I'll try looking up some well known nodes shortly and then try Booting via terminal w that node. Also, I don't seem to have a .conf file in the same place that  my wallet.dat is. Im using a Mac, does anyone know where the conf file is on the Mac or how I get it?

Also, if I close my litecoin qt client mid initial sync, to boot it up again via terminal w the node, it won't erase what I've already downloaded? It'll pick up where it left off just from the other node?
Cryddit
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:22:32 PM

Go ahead and shut it down mid sync.  It won't cause it to lose track of anything.

While downloading, it saves every received block, so even if you shut it down in the middle it can never lose more than one block.  Which I think is about 100K on Litecoin these days? 

minecrater

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 12:19:13 AM

Actually the block size now is 480k+, which is a reason it's taking so long, I'm only at ~120k. 

Does anyone know of any fast nodes for me connect to so I can get this initial sync overwith? In not having any luck finding one and would reeeeealy appreciate the help.

Thx
Mc
CrytoEnthusiast

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 12:34:18 AM

Yeah, it's just the size of the block chain apparently.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: