Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 09:04:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I pay a miner to confirm an unconfirmed transaction?  (Read 839 times)
PrivateWorld (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 04:54:12 PM

I sent some BTC out from blockchain over an hour ago and realize that maybe I didn't set the miner's fee (for some reason I thought blockchain automagically scaled in a miner's fee because I've never had this problem before).

Can I after-the-fact find a miner willing to confirm it? Pay him a small fee for doing so?

Anything like that exist?
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:03:20 PM

Yes https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=232979.0

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:06:38 PM

Afraid not. It has been talked about though. Maybe it's going to be part of the fee overhaul, but that's not going to help you now.

You can hunt down the transaction on blockchain.info. Just start from your address (https://blockchain.info/address/<your address here>) and click the transaction. It will give you an estimate how long it will take for confirmation.
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:07:35 PM

Get the sender to pay at least 0.005 BTC per kB in transaction fees.

That seems like overkill, when the minimum fee is 0.0001. Is the guide outdated?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:09:57 PM

Get the sender to pay at least 0.005 BTC per kB in transaction fees.

That seems like overkill, when the minimum fee is 0.0001. Is the guide outdated?

Yes that is out of date.

The min fee of 0.1 mBTC is fine.  However remember it is 0.1 mBTC PER KB.  The total tx fee is unimportant.

PrivateWorld (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 06:48:12 PM

Thanks for the info.

Looks like the miners fee was 0.001 BTC on a 6BTC transaction.

The estimated confirmation time has gone from 12 minutes to 20 minutes, I guess that is transactions with higher fees being jumped?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4672

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:49:59 PM

Can I after-the-fact find a miner willing to confirm it? Pay him a small fee for doing so?

It amazes me that mining pools haven't implemented this (or "child pays for parent") yet.

They are all paranoid about losing profitability to the extremely small orphan cost of adding low fee transactions, and yet they are all leaving significant sums of BTC unclaimed because of a bad case of tunnel vision.
PrivateWorld (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 01:56:49 AM

It amazes me that mining pools haven't implemented this (or "child pays for parent") yet.

They are all paranoid about losing profitability to the extremely small orphan cost of adding low fee transactions, and yet they are all leaving significant sums of BTC unclaimed because of a bad case of tunnel vision.

Yeah, as I posted it I was wondering if there was enough of a demand to make it worth somebody's time to offer that as a service.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: