Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 07:33:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting started  (Read 575 times)
jegfirefg4847 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:08:05 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2013, 02:15:12 PM by jegfirefg4847

Greetings all!  

I'm new to the world of crypto-currencies but am looking to get started as soon as possible. The reason for my interest is due to the way I have been recently treated by the bank. I am in the process of losing everything because of a student overdraft account that spiraled out of control. I am now faced with debt, debt collectors, bailiffs and repossession of my home. The whole thing has literally ruined my life so if possible I would like to try to get through the rest of my years without having to use banks ever again. I never realised a 2k overdraft could end up this way. Sad

I have been a little naive as to how much power banks really have and it's taken this personal issue to make me realise the corruption involved.

Anyway, enough about me, I'd like some info on mining coins. Is it even profitable form a home pc anymore? If not, could you point me towards some newer digital currencies that may be more effective/profitable to mine?

Many thanks for reading and for any replies you may offer.

x
jegfirefg4847 (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 02:20:53 PM

anybody?   Sad
cookmaster

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 02:30:38 PM

Quarks, are an interesting coin, I've read on average people are mining 5+ coins a day at the moment. They can be mined using pretty much any computers CPU Smiley

Plus there is talk over Bill Still being interviewed on Max Keiser, aired on the 19th Dec, which has the possibility to expand the initial distribution of the coin, which would only be good news for the coins growth!
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 02:52:02 PM

Anyway, enough about me, I'd like some info on mining coins. Is it even profitable form a home pc anymore? If not, could you point me towards some newer digital currencies that may be more effective/profitable to mine?

You have just stumbled upon the beginning of a most exciting adventure! Welcome to GoldCoin!  Cheesy  Grin  Cheesy

Get started with today's video and ask me anything! vvvvvvvvvvvv  Cool
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 03:03:21 PM

can you elaborate on the configuration of your "home" pc.

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
duravello

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 03:11:23 PM

If you have good ATI card you may mine profitably Scrypt coins. But electricity price must be taken in consideration as well
ZeroT

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:00:51 PM

I am also just getting started and Scrypt is the way to start out if you are new with 'home pc' spec hardware.

I have an NVidia card which isn't bad with cudaminer but if you really want to mine big your going to want an ATI based card.

As a 'casual' miner I'm pretty happy with how my GTX670 is doing for now.
jegfirefg4847 (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:00:26 PM

Many thanks for the replies.

I have tried to find out more about scrypt coins but seem to be struggling. Are there any guides for mining with a mac?

cheers
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:04:49 PM

Many thanks for the replies.

I have tried to find out more about scrypt coins but seem to be struggling. Are there any guides for mining with a mac?

cheers

Macs generally have bad hardware compared to other computers, especially if it's a laptop since it in that case probably even have an integrated graphics card, which isn't good if you want to mine. Some macs seem to have ATI graphics card, which is a lot better for mining, but it still is weaker cards than you get for the same money if you buy another computer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: