Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:30:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The threat of centralization through pools?  (Read 2782 times)
Mahkul (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 10:50:11 AM

The recent rapid increase of generation difficulty got me thinking: soon for most of us pools will be the only option to generate any coins. The problem with that is that we are leaning towards centralization - if someone wanted to attack the network they would nearly had to attack the pools (e.g. slush's pool with 60GHash/s is a huge chunk of the overall power of the Bitcoin network).

Any thoughts on that?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
no to the gold cult

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 10:54:40 AM

"Combination is always better than competition".

-Jack London, The Iron Heel.

Can the bitcoin network revert to a more distributed form, can difficulty go down as well as up?

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 10:59:12 AM

I don't mind if there is a bit of centralisation, as long as it is not coerced.

There can be many pools, with different rules.  Plus, nothing prevents you from investing in a lot of CGU and do your own mining.

Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 11:02:42 AM

Right now the software Slush uses to run his pool is proprietary, so it's a bit harder for people to set up competing pools. You could try asking him to open source it.

Alternatively sipa posted a decent proposal for p2p pooled mining in the developer forum recently. It'd be good to see somebody make a serious attempt at implementing that.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 11:04:09 AM

Can the bitcoin network revert to a more distributed form, can difficulty go down as well as up?

Yes for both questions.
Mahkul (OP)

Activity: 434

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 11:16:39 AM

I don't mind if there is a bit of centralisation, as long as it is not coerced.

There can be many pools, with different rules.  Plus, nothing prevents you from investing in a lot of CGU and do your own mining.

Yes. But what I am trying to say is that it would be much easier for some organization hostile to Bitcoin to turn off (or attack) a few pool servers than to disconnect thousands of single users.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2011, 11:33:45 AM

By the way, how much is slush making from running his pool?

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2011, 11:40:25 AM

Yes. But what I am trying to say is that it would be much easier for some organization hostile to Bitcoin to turn off (or attack) a few pool servers than to disconnect thousands of single users.

I don't think that would really work... even if every pool were systematically DDoS'd, others would pop up like mushrooms, it would provide incentive for that P2P network to get truly active, or the network would revert to a decentralized, low-difficulty stage. Ever try to nail Gelatin to a wall?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 11:47:27 AM

Well, even if they do, then the difficulty will decrease and the mining will be done by CPUs...

I really think there isn't much to worry about.

no to the gold cult

Activity: 140

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 12:15:30 PM

"thanks Ben" lol Grin
Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 12:51:34 PM

Probably not much, given that he recently had to enforce a mandatory donation in order to keep things running.  I highly doubt he's making a profit after all the bandwidth and server costs, and is providing us the service more or less out of goodwill.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 01:12:47 PM

So people are really paying just to get a more frequent supply of minted coins?
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 01:18:04 PM

Probably not much, given that he recently had to enforce a mandatory donation in order to keep things running.  I highly doubt he's making a profit after all the bandwidth and server costs, and is providing us the service more or less out of goodwill.

assuming an average rate of 57 GHash/s

which gives an average of 31 minutes per block

daily thats

24*0.5*50*0.02=12 BTC

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
myrkul

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2011, 01:20:07 PM

So people are really paying just to get a more frequent supply of minted coins?

I donno about anyone else, but I'm in the pool because I'd rather have a slow trickle than nothing until I hit the lottery. And I'll gladly fork over a small percentage of that income to ensure that trickle keeps coming.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 02:34:59 PM

daily thats

24*0.5*50*0.02=12 BTC

We know nothing about the daily costs associated with hosting the pool server.  It could very well be more than 12 BTC worth, just as likely as it could be less.
TheHoboHarvester

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2011, 11:33:15 PM

There's still a significant amount of solo miners with 5970 and/or 5870 clusters.

Though it is true that the "get paid no matter what" pool that recently popped up will draw some people in due to giving out coins solely based on expected block generation rate.
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 02:37:17 AM

daily thats

24*0.5*50*0.02=12 BTC

Your math is lacking.

40 minutes = 48 blocks per day.

* 50  = 2400

* minimum 2% = 48 BTC per day

Just to avoid typo confusion, 30 minutes = 48 blocks per day is the correct conversion foo, but the result is correct.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2011, 02:50:15 AM

Isn't this assuming that the pool finds every block, something we can see on the result page is false?

dissipate

Activity: 288

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 03:22:52 AM

Isn't this assuming that the pool finds every block, something we can see on the result page is false?

If the pool had over 50% of the total block output, in theory the pool operator could manipulate the block chain.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
February 20, 2011, 11:04:57 AM

Even thought as a whole the system won't be brought down, there is still the risk lots of money of lots of people will sudenlly disapear, suddenlly increasing the value of the bitcoins still circulating, possibly by several orders of magnitude depending on how big the hole is.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: