Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:55:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will BFL Jalapeno give me any profit?  (Read 2139 times)
dj6230 (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:25:53 PM

I just ordered a BFL Jalapeño 8GH/s for 700$ will it pay for itself within months?
Or did I just waste my money?

I will use pool.

I'm currently building an collection of novelty BitCoin's and physical BitCoin's, contact me if you have any, except Casascius (yet)!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Joukahainen

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:33:41 PM

I would not count on getting any profit from that. Off course the value of bitcoin is always a large factor on ROI,
8 Ghs Jalapeno generates currently about 0.006 bitcoins a day, so with current bitcoin value it would take around half a year (if taking electricity cost in calculation) to break even.

Difficulty is in the rise, and terahash machines are coming from multiple vendors during the beginning of next year, so more time it takes, more harder it will be to gain anything.
dj6230 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:46:04 PM

Ok, how do I see the current difficulty?

I'm currently building an collection of novelty BitCoin's and physical BitCoin's, contact me if you have any, except Casascius (yet)!
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:52:55 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2013, 08:06:19 PM by Trongersoll

Profit is a relative term. Anyone who expects to break even in terms of months is deceiving themselves. Don't bother. On the other hand over the course of your lifetime, or even a year or two, you will most likely make a profit.
dj6230 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:58:17 PM

Hm ok, I will use it for a month then if it looks bad, I'll put it on auction.

zhinkk

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 03:57:47 AM

Hm ok, I will use it for a month then if it looks bad, I'll put it on auction.

This is exactly what you will have to do to make your money back. As bad as it sounds, the only way to make money off a Jalapeño (that you payed $700 for...) at the moment is to sell it to someone who is stupid enough to buy it. The spike in difficulty is going to make you earn less than $70 a month soon. And it will just keep getting worse.
sh1k1g4m1

Activity: 34

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:58:47 AM

I would not count on getting any profit from that. Off course the value of bitcoin is always a large factor on ROI,
8 Ghs Jalapeno generates currently about 0.006 bitcoins a day, so with current bitcoin value it would take around half a year (if taking electricity cost in calculation) to break even.

Difficulty is in the rise, and terahash machines are coming from multiple vendors during the beginning of next year, so more time it takes, more harder it will be to gain anything.

Once the next gen asics come out that can do 2-3TH of hashing power, your 8ghs will basically be worthless. If you want my opinion, sell it back now and look at the group buy section of the forums for people who are buying next gen asics and selling you shares. The price varies but you'll be looking at ~$15/Gh so your $800 can get you 53Ghs of hashing power in Q1/Q2 2014
DTYJ

Activity: 16

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 10:47:50 AM

Well It really depends If you're paying for the electricity or not ? But I would think in the long run you will not be profitable as 2-3th/s is already develope"d" just that most of them are still in the testing phase I believe. Once It's out, It will crush Jalapeno. Maybe If you're running it for free without paying for Electricity.. you will benefit, but very very very minimal.
CubeOne

Activity: 16

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:42:26 PM

I did also order one, I hope I break even but I did actually order it just to review the product since BF have been shitty last year.
BitcoinDenvini

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:34:58 PM

You can profit with it if you keep coins and sell them when the price is will be very high.
dj6230 (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 09:56:19 PM

Are there any altcoins that are ASIC mined?
Is there some list where I can see which is mined how?

jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:55:58 PM

Any BFL product you buy today, will have given most of its life-time profit to BFL before it left them. Mathematically, a BFL product has given 90% of its expected profit to BFL and you, the end buyer, will get the remaining 10%.
dj6230 (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 05:34:40 PM

Any BFL product you buy today, will have given most of its life-time profit to BFL before it left them. Mathematically, a BFL product has given 90% of its expected profit to BFL and you, the end buyer, will get the remaining 10%.

Please elaborate that statement.

chrissibel

Activity: 336

Got Crypto?

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 09:47:55 AM

If you can put it somewhere where you don't pay the electric bill then yes. It will eventually profit. If you are paying to run it then you will never make money only lose. You can try using it with a raspberry pi for low wattage.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 09:58:08 AM

I think some miners do make a profit eventually, may be in a few months...
but if the profit calculations looks bad now, it is only going to look even worse in 6 months...
the point is why take the risk when the profit is just marginal?

ssbn506

Activity: 48

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:04:21 PM

The trick I se with the Jalapeno is the cost to gh. The Jalapenos and the USB keys seem to go for two or three times what the blades and cubes go for per gh on ebay. you can get a Jalap for 5 or 6 hundred that will do 5 to 7gh. You can get a blade for 4 to 5 hundred that will do 10gh and a Cube for 8 to 12 hundred that will do 38ish gh. You pay a lot for the simplicity of the USB miners and the butterfly stuff.

I didn't do the math on the big boy miners per gh but they my be a better price per gh also. But I wanted to experiment and ended up getting one blade for 375 and a cube for 789 for a total of 48gh. I didn't want to play the pre-order game or drop big money where I am mostly just learning and doing this for fun.

I live in Canada and many of the group buys where you can cut my quoted prise in half do not ship outside of USA. I also wasn't knowledgeable enough to find them at that time. If I get more I wont be paying such inflated prises.

Just sell your Jalap or consider it the cost of the beginning of your BTC education where learning by doing is not such a bad thing.  So don't beat yourself up about getting it. Just part of the learning experience.
martinver

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can'

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:07:47 PM

yOU CAN PROFIT IF YOU RESELL IT RIGHT NOW!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: