Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 11:38:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Borrowed $1,000,000 (1 million dollars) from my dad to invest in BTC (serious)  (Read 18401 times)
merockstar

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

BTS: merockstar420

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 03:17:08 AM

Only read op, haven't read any responses but...

If your dad loaned you a million dollars, then you shouldn't stress on the chance of losing it... I don't think it'll be much of a problem for you dude...
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 03:35:15 AM

I doubt there'll be enough sellers at any one point in time for you to drop $1 million into the market.  Dropping $1m in a day might actually cause the speculative bubble to burst, since you'd spike the value so quickly that the speculators will panic-sell.

meh, $1m doesn't move the market much thesedays...

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
mccoyspace

Activity: 237
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 03:48:21 AM

4. Will I have to pay taxes on capital gains? I don't wanna pay shit to the US gov, how would they know how much I made off BTCs?
Yes, you have to pay capital gains on the profit.  If you cash out through an exchange, they could report you to IRS, or your bank could report you if they think your transactions are suspicious.

I'm not an accountant, but there are a few things to consider, specifically if you are an American.
There is a gift tax in the US. You are allowed something like $10K per person per year tax free to be given to you, after that it is income. If your dad gives you 1M, you have to pay income tax on 990,000 at 39%.
So you may need to set up a company (an LLC or an S-Corp) to accept the money. This way it is an equity investment in the company, not gift income.

Also, you have to pay capital gains tax on any profits. If you don't hold your investment for more than 1 year, there are short term capital gains that are taxed as normal income (you would easily be in either the 35% or 39% income tax bracket when dealing with those amounts). If you sell your coins after 1 year then it is long term capital gains and the tax rate is 20%.

Talk to an accountant!
GriTBitS

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

“A decentralized registry for unique assets”

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 03:56:52 AM

4. Will I have to pay taxes on capital gains? I don't wanna pay shit to the US gov, how would they know how much I made off BTCs?
Yes, you have to pay capital gains on the profit.  If you cash out through an exchange, they could report you to IRS, or your bank could report you if they think your transactions are suspicious.

I'm not an accountant, but there are a few things to consider, specifically if you are an American.
There is a gift tax in the US. You are allowed something like $10K per person per year tax free to be given to you, after that it is income. If your dad gives you 1M, you have to pay income tax on 990,000 at 39%.
So you may need to set up a company (an LLC or an S-Corp) to accept the money. This way it is an equity investment in the company, not gift income.

Also, you have to pay capital gains tax on any profits. If you don't hold your investment for more than 1 year, there are short term capital gains that are taxed as normal income (you would easily be in either the 35% or 39% income tax bracket when dealing with those amounts). If you sell your coins after 1 year then it is long term capital gains and the tax rate is 20%.

Talk to an accountant!

He already said, barrow with 10% interest its not a gift... You don't need to go through a bank for a loan

▄▄█████████                                                                                   
 ██▀       ██                                                                                   
██         ██                                                                                   
██         ██                                                                                   
██         ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
██         ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██         ██                                                                                ▀█▄
██         ██                                                                                 ██
██         ██                                                                                 ██
██         ██         ▄██████▄    ▄██████▄     ████████▄     █████████   ▀██▄  ▄██▀           ██
██         ██       ▄██▀    ▀▀   ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ██     ▀██▄   ██            ██████             ██
██         ██       ██▀          ██      ██    ██      ▀██   ██▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀██▀              ██
██         ██       ███          ██▄    ▄██    ██      ▄██   ██            ▄████▄             ██
██         ██        ▀██▄▄▄▄██    ▀██▄▄██▀     ██▄▄▄▄▄██▀    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ██▀  ▀██            ██
██▄██████████          ▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀           ██
███▀                                                                                          ██
██                                                                                            ██
▀█▄                                                                                           ██
 ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀████
                                                                                    ██       ▀██
                                                                                    ██       ▄██
                                                                                    ██      ▄██
                                                                                    ███████▀▀   
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █
█ █

*   Collect with Trust   *
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
 █ █
 █ █

accord01

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 04:02:37 AM

Don't use coinbase.  They cancel transactions which could result unfavorable for customer.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 04:16:38 AM

Wow.  You are fortunate to have a wealthy father that is willing to give you this opportunity.

Yes it is risky.  Start-ups are risky investments too.  Having started a business that failed I know first hand how they can go. Wink  Bitcoin has been much more profitable and we put WAY less money into it than we did our business.  Wish we had the money for BTC now, but oh well.  Life works out that way sometimes.

I think it is a gutsy move but all signs are pointing towards an amazing 2014.  My advice would be that as soon as the price that you paid for your BTC doubles, just pull out your initial investment and pay your dad back then you will have $1,000,000 in free BTC at that point!  Pretty cool!  

I would talk to an accountant too and figure out the best way to do that too.  There are some long term capital gain laws that carry into next year it appears that can put you at 0% if your annual income is in the lower brackets.  I am in no way qualified to give tax advice though so please consult a professional on this.  (Have to put a disclaimer here Wink)

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
gla22

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 04:21:41 AM

1,000,000 is enough money to retire on. Talk to someone who knows something about investing and have him set you up with a solid portfolio. You should be able to withdraw 40k-70k a year. With that type of money you can coast, travel, pursue any interest or hobby. Congratulations you have freedom. Don't fuck it up by dumping it all in bitcoin.

Slow down and think.
adrian-mx

Activity: 15

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 04:58:31 AM

If i have 1 million dollars i prefer to buy high end miners of course this is only my opinion. Then when you recover your investment you can keep mining until still profitable. You can check with a mining profit calculator if you want. Wish you good luck  Grin
traderCJ

Activity: 280

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:02:19 AM

1,000,000 is enough money to retire on. Talk to someone who knows something about investing and have him set you up with a solid portfolio. You should be able to withdraw 40k-70k a year. With that type of money you can coast, travel, pursue any interest or hobby. Congratulations you have freedom. Don't fuck it up by dumping it all in bitcoin.

Slow down and think.

He's supposed to pay it back, not retire on it.

If I had a million dollars of play money, not something earmarked for retirement, then I would build rental units in Anchorage or North Dakota where the fracking is going on.  Rental units in ANC go for $1/sq ft per month.  Spend that million dollars on 2 duplex homes for a total of 10000 sq ft (2500 sq ft/home), that's $10k/month income.  After overhead (taxes, maintenance, insurance etc), you can certainly count on $9k.  Mortgage it, use the rent to pay off the mortgage (leaving you with pure profit), and pay your dad back.  Basically, you're just using his money as no interest a construction loan.
Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:05:29 AM

If you look through ops post history you'll discover quite quickly that he's a pathological lying troll.
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:33:23 AM

What strikes me is that at a certain time in 2010 I told some people to buy $10 worth of bitcoin and they weren't so optimistic. I guess sheep have to see price increase in order to believe.

DISCLOSURE: The only reason I didn't buy that pizza (I was there when the offer was made) is because I didn't have $20 Sad

Awfully wrong. Bitcoin price has been manipulated and is manipulated even today so price DOESN'T MATTER! What matters is you taking your own decisions w/o emotions. And right now you're biased by the price-effect emotions, you hope and want it to go 10,000 a btc.

I recommend investing just $100,000. It's more than you can afford right now.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:43:37 AM

1,000,000 is enough money to retire on.

He's supposed to pay it back, not retire on it.

In any case, 1,000,000 is enough money for gla22 to retire on.

Everyone else has their own individual comfort level, and 1m wouldn't cut it for me. I'd keep working.
bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:02:26 AM

IMHO:
$1 million? Want no hassles?
Second market.

done.

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:25:45 AM

IMHO:
$1 million? Want no hassles?
Second market.

done.

+1, minimize your risks since it's not your money.

i am satoshi
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:46:17 AM

Wow, lots of BEARS in this topic

spoilt bastard!

Go fucking die spoiled bastard! FTFY

Go suck a dick. You have no idea who I am and whatever relationship I have with my family is none of your concern. I don't get a penny from my parents, I live on my own barely making rent. I don't even have a bed in my room, I sleep on a blanket on the floor.. that's how poverty I am right now. I am only borrowing this money. If you're jealous then that's your problem.

3. Depending on where you want to spend your $million, there will be a long list of sell-orders waiting for you to purchase. If you were to use sites like Coinbase, Bitstamp or Mtgox, you'll have to expect the average price per bitcoin to be up to ~5% higher than the current price for those last few hundred bitcoins of your $1million purchase. An example: A few days ago i saw someone buy out 940BTC from Mtgox. This order ate up every sell-order from $1040 all the way up to $1070, thus driving the price up $30. I would consider buying in portions. Perhaps buy ~100BTC every hour for 10 hours or so?

Thanks for the solid advice, I guess I'll look i'll do some more research first.

It took me a lot of convincing but I somehow managed to convince him without telling him exactly what I would do with the money.

Not sure why it was so hard, my dad would loan me 1 million dollars blind no problem  Wink

Because i don't always make the most responsible decisions, i'm not the smartest in the family by any means.. but I have balls Wink

Bitcoin always spikes in value after a media blitz via a speculative bubble, then crashes hard a few months later.  Those of us who have had their ear to the ground have seen it happen, first in May of 2011, then less so in Jan 2012, then again in August 2012.  Do NOT invest in $1 million in bitcoin unless you are prepared to lose $990,000 of it.

The recent media attention that bitcoin has received is the sole thing fueling this bubble.

I doubt there'll be enough sellers at any one point in time for you to drop $1 million into the market.  Dropping $1m in a day might actually cause the speculative bubble to burst, since you'd spike the value so quickly that the speculators will panic-sell.

1. I get what you're saying but if the price "always" follows history everyone would be rich. Following charts and comparing "bubbles" only for delusional investors who think they are smart enough to beat the system. My guess is just as good as yours.

2. So you are saying that in a $12 billion market cap my $1 million will affect the price enough to cause panic selling?

Now it is a good time to buy, but don't all in at once

why not? it would drive the value up for all of us. he could let us know when he's buying, so after he puts in his buy order, we could sell and then buy it back when it bottoms out  Grin

Go fuck yourself, why would I tell you if y'all trying to screw me like that

What I can do, is keep your coins in cold storage where no online hacker can steal it. Think of it as offshore safe deposit box, except I generate a completely random private key and bitcoin address(es) for you, print it on paper, then store it in a safe place.

Get the fuck out of here if you think I would even consider doing this... lol

Roughly the equivalent of borrowing money from your dad to put it all on roulette in Vegas.

If you can't afford to pay your dad back (which is sounds like you can't), you're scum.

How is gambling in Vegas the same as investing in something revolutionary? Please explain.

And yes, if I can't pay him back I am scum.

Wow.  You are fortunate to have a wealthy father that is willing to give you this opportunity.

Yes it is risky.  Start-ups are risky investments too.  Having started a business that failed I know first hand how they can go. Wink  Bitcoin has been much more profitable and we put WAY less money into it than we did our business.  Wish we had the money for BTC now, but oh well.  Life works out that way sometimes.

I think it is a gutsy move but all signs are pointing towards an amazing 2014.  My advice would be that as soon as the price that you paid for your BTC doubles, just pull out your initial investment and pay your dad back then you will have $1,000,000 in free BTC at that point!  Pretty cool!  

I would talk to an accountant too and figure out the best way to do that too.  There are some long term capital gain laws that carry into next year it appears that can put you at 0% if your annual income is in the lower brackets.  I am in no way qualified to give tax advice though so please consult a professional on this.  (Have to put a disclaimer here Wink)

Kiss Kiss  Cheesy Cheesy

Oh heavenly blessed beauty whose beauty is so divine and everlasting... We could have been together baby. We coulda been in the topics sippin on piña coladas...or go to the slums where killas get hung shawty I could take you there. But you had to get married before we met Sad

Slow down and think.

lol wut? 40-70k a year...fuck that.  This is not my money dude. I can't retire on my dad's money and live off interest

If you look through ops post history you'll discover quite quickly that he's a pathological lying troll.

That's great chong hung, I don't really care what the fuck you think about me and whether you believe me or not

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
x86Daddy

Activity: 216

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:54:57 AM

I currently have some BTCs in coinbase that I bought with my own money. Is it not secure? I still don't quite understand the concept of putting it in a "wallet" that resides in your harddrive.... I feel like that is more risky. What if the file accidentally gets deleted or my computer crashes?

You really need to learn the difference between paper wallets, cold software wallets, hot software wallets and online (web) wallets.
Try each in turn and perform some transactions from each with small amounts of bitcoin. Learn how to best secure and backup each of them.
Buying $1mn of bitcoins without knowing each of these important concepts in detail seems like a recipe for disaster.
Seconded... If you hold Bitcoins, you're working outside of the traditional banking systems, with all of their armed guards, massive safes, federal insurance, etc...  Online exchange companies do not operate at the same level (yet).  You need to understand how to replace all that missing stuff with sensible security before you transform that kind of cash into Bitcoin.  Read about Paper Wallets.  Grab the BitAddress.org paper wallet tool, and experiment with a small amount from your existing CoinBase account.  Do try the BIP38 pass-phrase option.  After all that, you can consider various ways to make a couple copies of your paper wallets, place them *securely*, or get a Bitcoin Firesafe, which is a metal version of a paper wallet.
Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:55:27 AM

That's great chong hung, I don't really care what the fuck you think about me and whether you believe me or not
[/quote]

Well that's a good thing I suppose
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:03:16 AM

Man all my threads get moved to Speculation... wtf

On another note... BTC is below $1000.... time to buy?

I currently have some BTCs in coinbase that I bought with my own money. Is it not secure? I still don't quite understand the concept of putting it in a "wallet" that resides in your harddrive.... I feel like that is more risky. What if the file accidentally gets deleted or my computer crashes?

You really need to learn the difference between paper wallets, cold software wallets, hot software wallets and online (web) wallets.
Try each in turn and perform some transactions from each with small amounts of bitcoin. Learn how to best secure and backup each of them.
Buying $1mn of bitcoins without knowing each of these important concepts in detail seems like a recipe for disaster.
Seconded... If you hold Bitcoins, you're working outside of the traditional banking systems, with all of their armed guards, massive safes, federal insurance, etc...  Online exchange companies do not operate at the same level (yet).  You need to understand how to replace all that missing stuff with sensible security before you transform that kind of cash into Bitcoin.  Read about Paper Wallets.  Grab the BitAddress.org paper wallet tool, and experiment with a small amount from your existing CoinBase account.  Do try the BIP38 pass-phrase option.  After all that, you can consider various ways to make a couple copies of your paper wallets, place them *securely*, or get a Bitcoin Firesafe, which is a metal version of a paper wallet.

Ok thanks for the links, I'm reading up on security right now

Well that's a good thing I suppose
[/quote]

I'm jk, that sounded racist but i wasn't trying to be at all

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:42:41 AM

What I can do, is keep your coins in cold storage where no online hacker can steal it. Think of it as offshore safe deposit box, except I generate a completely random private key and bitcoin address(es) for you, print it on paper, then store it in a safe place.
Get the fuck out of here if you think I would even consider doing this... lol

You seem to forget the last part where I also said you have to try and learn it on your own.

If you know how to do that, do it. If you care to spend the time to learn how to do it, do it. If you can't be bothered, then you have to send the coins somewhere you are pretty damn sure will be safe.

Anything online (exchanges, online web wallets, even your own bitcoin-qt wallet connected to the internet) is out of the question.

I'm not asking you to consider it, that's a decision you have to make. If you can secure your $1 million USD worth of bitcoins on your own, do it. It's better that way, and it becomes 100% your responsibility.

If you lose your coins because you make a mistake, get hacked, lose your wallet, computer blows up, or whatever, you don't know who it might have been, or how to get it back, or even if you can get it back. If your coins move from the cold storage paper wallet address(es) I give you, then you know who to go to.

I keep wondering if there is a market for this. Apparently, there are a lot of rich dudes who open accounts all over the world except their own country and they have someone else take care of it.

In your particular case, maybe you don't have a safe place to store your coins. You have to think about, not only online security, but physical security as well, like how hard is it to break into your house where you keep your paper wallet? Do you have a safe or a vault? How many armed guards do you have patrolling around that? Are you armed yourself?

For a million USD, I'm going to use dice to generate my private keys. You might want to look that up as well.

ChessWhiz

Activity: 31

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:49:41 AM

You're being very foolish.

Go re-read the post by TheDjinni on the second page. This is the correct answer.

Regarding tax, yes, you must pay capital gains tax, unless you would like to go to prison. However, you shouldn't be so sure about making money with this idea.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: