Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 11:17:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Borrowed $1,000,000 (1 million dollars) from my dad to invest in BTC (serious)  (Read 18404 times)
Bitbuy

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:54:52 AM

Not sure if OP is trolling or...but anyway, TheDjinni's advice is actually the best you can take...clear, logical and structured

I promised him I will return the money to him by the end of 2014 with an extra $100k (10% interest). It took me a lot of convincing but I somehow managed to convince him without telling him exactly what I would do with the money.

Uh huh.  Nobody with $1m to burn will buy that you can make a $100k return in 1 year on a startup.  Most startups don't turn a profit until 5 years down the road.

This sounds like a joke, but I'll bite... I suppose he could be thinking you'll borrow to cover the difference when you don't meet your target, then learn a valuable life lesson when your investment fails and you're $400k in debt once you sell off your assets, and have to declare bankruptcy.

What he doesn't realize is that you're dumping it in something on purely speculative grounds and could double your money or lose it all by a difference of days.  It doesn't even sound like you understand how bitcoin works or what it even is.

I feel like it's almost guaranteed.

That's your first problem.  Bitcoin is not a get rich quick scheme, especially if you know little about how it works.  Speculative bubbles always benefit the moguls, veterans, and hawkish traders at the expense of the young, new, and inexperienced.

1. Am I being really stupid and optimistic to think this way? How much of a chance/risk do you think it is for the price to not go up any higher in 2014? IMO, it almost seems guaranteed the price will at least hit $1200-$1300/btc sometime next year.... or is there a risk that I'm not aware of?

This plan is insane.

Bitcoin always spikes in value after a media blitz via a speculative bubble, then crashes hard a few months later.  Those of us who have had their ear to the ground have seen it happen, first in May of 2011, then less so in Jan 2012, then again in August 2012.  Do NOT invest in $1 million in bitcoin unless you are prepared to lose $990,000 of it.

The recent media attention that bitcoin has received is the sole thing fueling this bubble.

See:

2. I have a coinbase account and it only lets me buy a max of 50 BTC at a time. Is there a place where I can buy as many as I want w/o any limits?

This is not a transaction you want to handle online with some random exchange.  Find a bunch then call them up and get a contract with a lawyer in tow, if you're crazy enough to do it.

3. Will I even be able to buy $1mil worth of BTCs? Does it depend on who's selling right at the moment I'm trying to buy some? How does this work?

I doubt there'll be enough sellers at any one point in time for you to drop $1 million into the market.  Dropping $1m in a day might actually cause the speculative bubble to burst, since you'd spike the value so quickly that the speculators will panic-sell.

You'd have to buy them up at a slower pace, but that just puts you at even greater risk.

4. Will I have to pay taxes on capital gains? I don't wanna pay shit to the US gov, how would they know how much I made off BTCs?

They'd call up whatever exchange service you used and ask them for the information.  If you made a significant return, the bank will notice and report it.  You WILL pay taxes on this, governments proactively look for and try to snap up smaller sums than this.  They would look at what you are doing as free money because you simply could not contest the wealth of evidence they will have on you.  And they'll sit on it for a year so that you pay interest.

I'm thinking of putting an automatic sell order right when BTCs hit $1500 in 2014.... is that too high or should I put a lower limit? I want to guarantee some profit before I get too greedy and potentially lose my dad's money. I figured if I sell at $1500 it would be a nice $400k profit for me, I could quit my job and chill in Miami and Ibiza for a year until I need money again.

Just repeat this mantra: "Bitcoin is not a get-rich-quick scheme, Bitcoin is not a get-rich-quick scheme, Bitcoin is not a get-rich-quick scheme..." until you realize how you're letting the euphoria of naked greed cloud your judgment.

What you should do: return the money to your father and say your projections were flawed as you realized that there were some fundamental problems with your idea.

Roughly the equivalent of borrowing money from your dad to put it all on roulette in Vegas.

Basically this.  The gamble is the day the bubble pops; bet safe and you make nothing, get greedy and you lose it all.  If you don't have experience day-trading and aren't prepared to sit at a computer 24/7 monitoring any change in value, you aren't ready for this.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 08:31:14 AM

10% in the Bitcoin world is quite easy, of course you obviously want more than that or you would not be doing this.

I have quite a bit invested and can give you a few pointers via PM, though I greedily do not really want someone with a million dollars making money the way I am.

But for sure, going via CoinBase is not the best route. They are good for convenience, not for investing large amounts.

When it comes to not paying taxes, there are legal ways of doing so.

But I agree with others that your story does not seem legit. There are many legal and tax issues that your dad has to cover just to give you that much money, and if you do not pay him back it is not just him you have to worry about but also the IRS. Moving that much money around is not like in the movies.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Jrock

Activity: 363

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 09:32:12 AM

All these loans threads are probably making whales itchy to sell and gloat over your misfortunes.

Anyways, I'm not gonna answer your questions but I personally think (as a bull) this is a risky time to be buying. Especially going all in.

Proceed with caution and don't invest what you aren't willing to throw away into the wind.

Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 03:45:00 PM

Not sure if OP is trolling or...

If you are not sure if OP is trolling or not, look at the posting history in his profile.

From now on, I'm always gonna do that before answering threads like this one. Lesson learned.

Case closed.
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 03:46:36 PM

Short, straight tot he point and very easy answer, DON'T, it is risky as hell especially now!

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
Jcw188

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Carpe Diem

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 04:27:22 PM

Come on think about it.  If this is for real you must be able to blow this money.  I mean your dad must be really rich and for you to risk it like this is irresponsible.  Unless you buy slowly, and put a stop loss order in so that you won't lose much of the money, if it goes down in price.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:00:42 PM

She had them Apple Bottom jeans, them boots with Dafar...

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
SuperHakka

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:03:44 PM

he may be your Dad but what you are advoating OP is obtaining funds by deception, ie. financial fraud, your dad gonna throw your ass to the feds Tongue

'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.' - Mohandas Gandhi
"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do this?' and if he would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Schrute
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:48:00 PM

Sooooooo..... the price is around ~$856 right now. If i bought it last night I would have been down $200K already holy shit!

Wtf is going on?  Huh  Huh  Huh Is anyone buying?

She had them Apple Bottom jeans, them boots with Dafar...

LOLOLOL

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:50:59 PM

What is going on is corrective wave C. If you still want to buy, wait until it hits the bottom, but you probably won't be able to recognize it.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:53:10 PM

If I had fiat on my exchange account, I'd spent half of it putting bids from $850 to $500 with step of $20.
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

dafar consulting

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:09:30 PM

What is going on is corrective wave C. If you still want to buy, wait until it hits the bottom, but you probably won't be able to recognize it.

I have some I bought at $680 with my own money.... should I sell?

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:14:47 PM

Selling is always risky. Nobody knows the bottom.
I never sell, only buy and I'm always happy with this my dumb strategy.
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:05:25 PM

You should observe the market for a few days, don't get judgmental and end up making bad decisions.
How old are you btw

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
notmichael

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:14:57 PM

Looking forward to reading about how this ends on major news outlets.
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

dafar consulting

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:30:56 PM

You should observe the market for a few days, don't get judgmental and end up making bad decisions.
How old are you btw

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
notmichael

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:45:46 PM

Use the million dollars to hire people to open your own exchange. Seems to be plenty of opportunity to compete. Making .2% per transaction, you'll have a million dollars worth of bitcoins by the end of 2014.

Actually using the money for a bitcoin related start-up seems a better way to score some coin (as well as not piss off your dad), while scaling up and learning along the way, as opposed to trying to time the market real quick.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:57:15 PM

Put $1m into a mining rig. If 29 Mhash can be done for $15000 then you can do 1933 MHashes for $1m.
Probably you get some good discounts on hardware Cheesy

Results in 841 LTC per day which is 26572.95 USD per day.

Running a year and you have somewhere around $9698780 excl. power which is approx. 5-8x your money per year Cheesy

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 10:00:30 PM

I wonder about your old man if he just lent you a million without asking very specific questions and getting very convincing answers in return. That aside, I'm in an informal partnership with my old man as well. I figure out the tech and the money bits, he provides the money and we split the coins, and when the price is high enough that I can begin to rake I repay my part. Profit for both of us.

As for security, look into that BEFORE you make any large buys. Encrypted private key, encrypt the encrypted key, and use some strong passwords. Passwords that you can REMEMBER and don't write them down anywhere or tell them to anyone. If you can't keep a secret don't expect anyone else to.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 10:02:01 PM

If I had fiat on my exchange account, I'd spent half of it putting bids from $850 to $500 with step of $20.

hope you did this, or similar!

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: