Bitcoin Forum
July 25, 2024, 08:01:46 PM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Once a bitcoin miner, computer crashed, no backup of wallet.  (Read 690 times)
yetisalmon (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 01:18:44 AM

Hello!,
Funny this is my first post here but have been a member for two years.
That very same two years ago I spent some time mining....that computer has since crashed and I do not have a backup of the hard drive, or even have that computer anymore.  I threw it in the trash.
My question is this...is there any way to recover the coin I had mined and sent to my Bitcoin QT wallet.....I was using Deepbit.net as my pool, and the history is still in my rewards history on the pool website.  Is there ANYTHING I can do?  Or am I shit out of luck....

Hope it's not the latter...

Thanks for any replies...!

-RLF
hermann1983

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 01:22:06 AM

That very same two years ago I spent some time mining....that computer has since crashed and I do not have a backup of the hard drive, or even have that computer anymore.  I threw it in the trash.
My question is this...is there any way to recover the coin I had mined and sent to my Bitcoin QT wallet.....

Im affraid, but without backup or hard drive, your coins are lost.
sweetNlow

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 01:25:46 AM

My question is this...is there any way to recover the coin I had mined and sent to my Bitcoin QT wallet.....

Im affraid, but without backup or hard drive, your coins are lost.

Unfortunately this is the truth. With out either of the 2, your coins are gone forever  Cry
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 01:28:11 AM

you probably could have recovered them even though your computer crashed if you hadnt thrown it in the trash.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
yetisalmon (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 01:39:13 AM

I just found an old drive with some backups on it!  I did not backup the "Applications" folder but nearly did everything else....would the backup file be a .dat file?  Most likely located somewhere....?
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 01:58:01 AM

I just found an old drive with some backups on it!  I did not backup the "Applications" folder but nearly did everything else....would the backup file be a .dat file?  Most likely located somewhere....?

my backup says type unknown.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Nightsh4de

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 02:05:45 AM

by default, qtwallet backs up to wallet.dat

Assuming you backed up everything but the applications folder, (assuming your user folder), you should be able to go to your [drive]:/Users/[yourusername]/AppData/Roaming/BitCoin ; as documented in the Bitcoin Data Directory wiki FAQ here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory

Hope everything works out for you! Bitcoin is highly priced!
GillyPony

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 02:12:12 AM

Are you that famous person in the newspaper?

Wow, I thought it was some kind of joke, but now when I saw your account. I believe it.
yetisalmon (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 03:48:51 AM

Hehe...well....no dice guys :/  God bless I wish I hadn't thrown out that computer.  It fried though....wish I had made a proper backup of my wallet.  I wasn't even thinking back then...nor did I ever think bitcoin would take off like it has....

Ah well....there's at least a few hundred bucks lost.  I wonder how many people this has happened to...

Thanks again.

-RLF
Squeaker

Activity: 450
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 09:18:25 AM

all depends on what part of the computer, fried...

just because the computer doesn't function anymore, doesn't mean the hard drive isn't usable.

typically, when the computer dies (won't turn on, screen doesn't display anything, etc), you can just remove the hard drive from it, attach it to a USB drive enclosure, and copy over your data files (music, pictures, etc) from that drive to the new computer.

then wipe the drive when you're done (reformat), and leave it in the enclosure to use as spare storage.

never throw away computer hardware just because it quit working. salvage what is still usable, first.

yetisalmon (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

I did recover my pictures, music and other personal files but did not get the wallet.dat file :/  didn't even think of it when I was recovering because it was a miracle my computer even turned on that day...come to think of it, I wonder if I fried the thing mining.  it was a macbook pro.  i thought i had recovered what I needed, so I threw the thing away....wish I hadn't!!

Also...according to blockchain, my coins have "not yet been redeemed" but I think that just means that I have not sent them elsewhere or "spent" them.
Am I wrong?  Could deepbit somehow recover them?

-RLF
freakying99

Activity: 429
Merit: 250

Pythagoras and Plato are my brothers.

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 05:46:26 PM

I guess you had Bitoin-qt wallet, so install Bitcoin-qt and replace wallet.dat with your backup (You have rename it to wallet.dat ), then open Bitcoin-qt and synchronize
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: