Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 12:34:16 AM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MultiBit: I've just lost £15 in BTC that didn't propagate &another $88 is locked  (Read 524 times)
matrixfighter (OP)

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 11:30:37 AM
Last edit: December 06, 2013, 11:41:41 AM by matrixfighter

Hello everyone,

This is my 4th day in Bitcoin world and I'm already very disappointed and frustrated in it as a currency!!!  One can understand it  especially when you loose money down the drain.

First thing first:  I went to Bitcoin.org and installed MultiBit Wallet. Then I went to LocalBitcoins.com and bought 0.15 BTC for £115 just before the Chinese news were announced and BTC lost 30% of it's value  Shocked

Transaction #1: Then, I moved 0.081 BTC from LocalBitcoins.com to my MultiBit wallet on desktop.  
Transaction #2: I decided to invest £14-£15 long term in some small up-and-coming coins, so I initiated a payment to Coins-e.com .  That payment never arrived:  it permanently said that it has been seen by only 1 peer.
Transaction #3: I have received 0.00006 from some website for watching ads (just wanted to test)

Apart from a non-propagated transaction #2, what's more, is that Multibit was showing that I have only 0.0006 BTC available,, completely ignoring my 0.081 BTC payment.  

After 1 day of waiting and nothing changing, I decided to follow some of the advice on this forum: backup the wallet, uninstall MultiBit and reinstall Multibit.  Result: the unconfirmed transaction #2 (£15) to Coins-e.com has disappeared from the list of transactions.  My only transactions showing are the ones that I have received : #1 and #3.

So now Multibit is again telling me that my balance is 0.00006 BTC ! So how can I get my 0.081 BTC Huh ,  I really want to put some money into Coins-e.com and BTC-E.com to buy some other coins.

PS: very frustrating: 0.081 BTC might be some insignificant digits, but for others it's a lot of hours of work!!!

UPDATE: just to confirm that my transactions are true see https://blockchain.info/address/1BUjQLS8XDotiKdy8kkn1Fk8RnkAhHbWdK
So , now I need to make that 0.081 BTC appear as part of my MultiBit wallet's balance,which currently reads only 0.00006BTC
matrixfighter (OP)

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 02:09:36 PM

I seem to have resolved this by Resetting Blockchain 2 times.

But still...this is very disappointing because it goes to show how fragile public trust will be in the system when there are such hickups.  Maybe it's just the MultiBit wallet.  Maybe I  need to move to another wallet client likeWallet QT , which is impossible to find these days.  Or maybe I need to move to a cloud based wallet -- I don't know which one is a good and reliable one - I'm new to all this.  Any advice appreciated.

But then again, there are fees to pay every time you want to move money from one wallet into another.  Maybe it should not be called a "Wallet" because every time that I want to take cash out of my physical wallet and pay for my tobacco, that leather wallet doesn't charge me for doing so.

And I'm trying to find a good "Wallet" app for my iPhone, and I can't. Any advice?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: