Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:14:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: why are proof of work (pow) coins better than the coins of icos?  (Read 131 times)
KingScorpio (OP)

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2018, 11:49:31 PM

can someone explain me that logic?

"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:20:20 AM

reason one security
because no one spends alot of funds/time to create the ICO's, no one cares if the system breaks. no one cares about a real 5 -500 year future. and so these coins have no strength/power backing them up. if a hacker group really wanted to waste their time on an ICO they could find many bugs and holes to mess with that system.
but with POW coins. many hackers for years have tried to find ways around POW, but cant break it

take some POS coins
som coins are so buggy that anyone can start at block zero and quicky sign their own blocks containing tx data of their own choosing and quickly create a chain that out paces the chain other people have. making some coin holders then accept the newly created chain and divert away from the old chain (yea some chains dont have mile stone locks to preserve certain chain with a certain hash history)

many ico's spring up so quickly that investors dont even bother reading the source code to check for bugs or do due dilegance to see if the ICO wallet is a real coin wallet or just a trojan filled with key loggers and coin wallet stealing functionality. they simply run first cry later

reason two. value
gold costs somthing becaus see it costs something to make it
air does not cost anything to make

proof of work is proof of labour. knowing it costs x to make 1btc, makes people know that pools wont sell below x. and as time goes on and historic puchases of cheaper coins get sol, the new buyers wont sell below their price and so a minimumm(bottom) price emergs and over time increases.

but other ICO's that just make coins out of no where with no cost of creation. have no bottom value. no costs that need to be covered and so thy can be sold at any price and so they will not have the same long term price incline as POW

now imagine if it didnt require large excavators and sluce machines to mine gold, costing over $1k a ounce. imagine gold could be found with a simple magnet for $1.. the price of gold would be only a few dollars right now. even without messing with the supply/demand/utility. just messing with the cost of production would effect the end value.

imagine bitcoin didnt need an average of xx exahash to mine a bitcoin. but was made by 2 people in a garage spending just $1 a day in electric. they would be selling bitcoin to cover their electric and bitcoin would not be as high as it is now.

check out the price data for around autumn 2013. (october).. then check out events.. like the hashrate of that period. yep. ASICS were first launched publicly in october 2013, which is where the first major price rise began

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
iillaa

Activity: 196
Merit: 5

A MAN SEEKING FOR KNOWLEDGE

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 02:14:54 AM

Hey  i just read lot of explanation in the net about pos and pow  and it seemed a bit confusing  .

So  pow need  energy  to run computers  ..  and those  computers will need to compete  with each other and the first who solve the algorithm  will have a reward . That mean  other computers  will not get rewarded and  the energy spent will be lost  with no reawrd ?   Like in competition  number 1 get $$ while other get nothing dispute the work they put in solving the puzzle  ?

And  pos  like some sources say  it's the proof of wealth  so  if  a computer hold  5 % of a coin  he will  be able to mine 5 % of the puzzle  or block  and his reward is 5 %  of the pool reward  ... so no competition   and  it's like a cooperative  work  where  no energy  will be lost  like in the  pow  !

What i wrote  above  is my idea and what i understood so far ... so please correct me if I'm wrong   or is there any good and simplified source you know that you can reffer me to  so i can understand more .

@franky1

Cheesy
azvn

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 05:31:24 AM

Just a little research from internet, its basic different between POW & POS for ur understanding

source: Blockgeeks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: