Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 12:26:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GoxLoop™ discussion / speculation  (Read 7137 times)
Pruden

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

Spanish Bitcoin trader

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:57:40 PM

I speculate that it will go down from 875 to around 830. Right now it is on wave (b), it is that 0.1BTC buy order at 840. then down again on heavy volume.
MarCoin

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:04:28 PM

That's what i'm seeing on my platform (21:00 GMT+1). Bars data (high, low, open, close) are built with the MTGox realtime streaming data received by my service's server

http://i.snag.gy/2ubzf.jpg
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:04:34 PM

If this is not proof enough i don't know what is

pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:05:25 PM

Finally someone explaining the gox loop. Thank you.
Btw i can't see the loop in bitcoinwisdom although i had it in 1m.
Actually it is just now that i can see the first itteration. Probably i 'm lagging badly.

bitleif

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

I'm always grumpy in the morning.

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:06:18 PM

It was already explained in another thread, it's a security measure (of rather dubious quality) they put in for when price is falling too fast. This is the kind of "solution" that makes software engineers around the world scream out in agony.
Mirsad

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Bitcoin - love & hate

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:07:32 PM

It was already explained in another thread, it's a security measure (of rather dubious quality) they put in for when price is falling too fast. This is the kind of "solution" that makes software engineers around the world scream out in agony.

It's also called market manipulation and in every regulated market strictly forbidden. Bitcoin allows anything.

< 100 BTC is not worth mentioning. Poor souls will always remain poor. Don't miss the failtrain.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:08:01 PM

i looking at this looping on btccharts, this is some funny shit going on. can you imagine if this started happening on nasdaq or nyse, lmfao

"funny shit" happens an nasdaq, nyse et al all the time, they hide it in plain sight.

http://johnhcochrane.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/weird-stuff-in-high-frequency-markets.html

The US stock and commodity exchanges break all the time.  Just google "zerohedge self help" and read some of the stories.  The major exchanges try to "hide" this kind of thing for better optics.  Bitcoin is more transparent.  

Note again that this "GoxLoop" happened around 9pm pacific time maybe a month ago.  It wasn't discussed as much because most people from the US were asleep.  Mark was on IRC (the last time this happened) and said that the loop was activated by his "security system" that goes off when someone places and huge market sell order.  The reason for his weird "security system" is to prevent a repeat of what happened several years ago when someone hacked the site and faked a market sell all the way down to zero!

Gox really needs to step up its game -- it could raise plenty of cash to fund improvements.  But this is not a conspiracy, and this is in no way unprecedented.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:08:28 PM

How does this solve the price falling too fast?

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
accord01

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:09:46 PM

Well, this is just going to stall the drop.  Before the bottom was 400, now the bottom could be back to single digits, because it just made bitcoin a lot less reliable.
NorbyTheGeek

Activity: 201

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:10:29 PM

How is this a better idea than simply halting trading?

Cryptsy:  All new look - USD Trading coming soon!
Learn why Bitcoin is NOT a bubble... | Are you an "expert" bitcoin trader?
BTC: 1NorbyPiNPEFBXJ7GVKsMCkfAW4p8j5cTs | 42: 4KjFuqfESkdXWDHMK8rnaxc84NqMpxu9t8
Inedible

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:10:35 PM

Mark was on IRC (the last time this happened) and said that the loop was activated by his "security system" that goes off when someone places and huge market sell order.  The reason for his weird "security system" is to prevent a repeat of what happened several years ago when someone hacked the site and faked a market sell all the way down to zero!

I can't see how this would help that situation.

If it were me making a huge sell just now I'd be pretty peeved that the whole world has now been alerted to the fact.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Inedible

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:11:53 PM

My thoughts exactly.

It's not like the hackers could magic out the fiat without them sending it out to a bank. Just mark account transfers for manual approval over a certain limit.

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:12:33 PM

It is a bandaid that Mark implemented to avoid a repeat of the hack a few years ago when someone faked a market sell all the way to zero (cleaned out the order book).  It is not designed to prevent the price from "falling too fast."  

(I am not condoning this "security system" BTW, just trying to get the facts straight.)

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:13:27 PM

Gox be a goxin'!

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
NorbyTheGeek

Activity: 201

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:15:07 PM

It is a bandaid that Mark implemented to avoid a repeat of the hack a few years ago when someone faked a market sell all the way to zero (cleaned out the order book).  It is not designed to prevent the price from "falling too fast."  

(I am not condoning this "security system" BTW, just trying to get the facts straight.)
Seems like a dumb idea to create more confusion by replaying trades instead of just giving folks a message:  "Trading temporarily halted due to a possible security issue."

Cryptsy:  All new look - USD Trading coming soon!
Learn why Bitcoin is NOT a bubble... | Are you an "expert" bitcoin trader?
BTC: 1NorbyPiNPEFBXJ7GVKsMCkfAW4p8j5cTs | 42: 4KjFuqfESkdXWDHMK8rnaxc84NqMpxu9t8
Skybits

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:16:41 PM

it stopped
pbody

Activity: 198

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:17:03 PM

i looking at this looping on btccharts, this is some funny shit going on. can you imagine if this started happening on nasdaq or nyse, lmfao

"funny shit" happens an nasdaq, nyse et al all the time, they hide it in plain sight.

http://johnhcochrane.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/weird-stuff-in-high-frequency-markets.html

if only all manipulation was this transparent. ...pretty funny from the big picture. I dont buy the security hack explanation. Though thats a good one.

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:18:12 PM

loop is over, just watching the madness right now, the chart is going all over the place  Shocked

MarCoin

Activity: 54

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:19:10 PM

Quoted. IMO, manipulation in ANY way is wrong. If it has to fall, let it fall. But if you want, just halt the trading, it is the best choice: but they can't steal if the market is closed  Grin
EasyQuest

Activity: 198

Brony Bitcoin, Litecoin Miner

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:19:47 PM

the loop is over..
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: