Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 08:03:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help - confused  (Read 592 times)
JuanHungLo (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1001

I don't always drink...

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:22:42 PM

Please forgive my newbiness.  I have successfully created an offline wallet system and am ready to send a payment.  I saved the transaction, loaded it into my offline computer, signed it, saved and have reopened the saved transaction in the online wallet computer.  This is where I am confused.  I am attempting to send 1 BTC to an address and that address shows up under Outputs.  The problem is that the BALANCE of my wallet ALSO shows up under Outputs with an address that I did not enter.  I went to Bitcoin Blockchain explorer, entered the address that I didn't recognize and it said "No transactions found for this address, it has probably not been used on the network yet."

Is this correct?  Or if I hit save am I going to send the balance of my wallet to someone?

Please advise and thanks in advance!

Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. - John Templeton
bizz

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 10:01:13 PM

Please forgive my newbiness.  I have successfully created an offline wallet system and am ready to send a payment.  I saved the transaction, loaded it into my offline computer, signed it, saved and have reopened the saved transaction in the online wallet computer.  This is where I am confused.  I am attempting to send 1 BTC to an address and that address shows up under Outputs.  The problem is that the BALANCE of my wallet ALSO shows up under Outputs with an address that I did not enter.  I went to Bitcoin Blockchain explorer, entered the address that I didn't recognize and it said "No transactions found for this address, it has probably not been used on the network yet."

Is this correct?  Or if I hit save am I going to send the balance of my wallet to someone?

It is correct. This is your change address from your wallet. If you have 2 BTC on address A and you want to send 1.5 BTC to address B, change of 0.5 BTC will be sent to your own change address C.

You can actually disable change addresses in preferences if you want. In that case when you send 1.5 BTC from address A to address B, 0.5 BTC will be sent back to address A.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change
JuanHungLo (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1001

I don't always drink...

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 10:13:45 PM

Please forgive my newbiness.  I have successfully created an offline wallet system and am ready to send a payment.  I saved the transaction, loaded it into my offline computer, signed it, saved and have reopened the saved transaction in the online wallet computer.  This is where I am confused.  I am attempting to send 1 BTC to an address and that address shows up under Outputs.  The problem is that the BALANCE of my wallet ALSO shows up under Outputs with an address that I did not enter.  I went to Bitcoin Blockchain explorer, entered the address that I didn't recognize and it said "No transactions found for this address, it has probably not been used on the network yet."

Is this correct?  Or if I hit save am I going to send the balance of my wallet to someone?

It is correct. This is your change address from your wallet. If you have 2 BTC on address A and you want to send 1.5 BTC to address B, change of 0.5 BTC will be sent to your own change address C.

You can actually disable change addresses in preferences if you want. In that case when you send 1.5 BTC from address A to address B, 0.5 BTC will be sent back to address A.

Thank you very much for your reply.  I was thinking that that is what was going on but when you have 3 digits worth of BTC in the "change."  I am sure you can understand why I wanted to be sure!  lol

Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. - John Templeton
bizz

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 10:21:43 PM

Thank you very much for your reply.  I was thinking that that is what was going on but when you have 3 digits worth of BTC in the "change."  I am sure you can understand why I wanted to be sure!  lol

You can/should double check if it's really yours on receive tab under 'change'
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 08:37:19 PM

You can/should double check if it's really yours on receive tab under 'change'

Yes double check before broadcasting the transaction. Remember there is no undo button in bitcoin!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: