Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:15:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Certain Bitcoins worth more than others?  (Read 2559 times)
hmblm1245 (OP)

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 08:33:58 PM

I recall reading about 3 months ago about someone looking to pay 1.5 btc for 1 btc that was offered in the original transaction about the pizza sold for 10000 bitcoins. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.0
Which is kinda interesting. Can certain bitcoins be worth more based on the transaction used? For example the first bitcoin ever mined being worth more than current btcs Just thought it would be interesting to hear what people have to say.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ShaggyB (BitCoinWorldMarket)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 08:40:23 PM

A bitcoin is only worth what someone else will pay for it (or value it).

I'm sure someone would want the very first bitcoin ever mined or maybe even the 3141th bitcoin or the 1337th bitcoin etc. Will they pay 100$ USD? 500$ USD? maybe...

I certainly wouldn't but that doesn't mean someone else won't
ffuentes

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Only a curious passer-by / FirstBits: 13zsc1

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 08:44:29 PM

I recall reading about 3 months ago about someone looking to pay 1.5 btc for 1 btc that was offered in the original transaction about the pizza sold for 10000 bitcoins. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.0
Which is kinda interesting. Can certain bitcoins be worth more based on the transaction used? For example the first bitcoin ever mined being worth more than current btcs Just thought it would be interesting to hear what people have to say.

It sounds like bitcoin numismatics

Listen Radio Libre (Electronica) Donate. (click for details).

Chilean peso VS BTC ahora: http://irage.ca/2btc.php?a=1&c=CLP&r=1

My bitcoin address
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 09:04:32 PM

Can certain bitcoins be worth more based on the transaction used?

Just like physical coins and bills have numismatic value, bitcoins from certain blocks could have numismatic value as well.  This could be due to the block's low number, or because the block is special -- such as block 140,000 from a few days ago, which contained the last of the first 1/3rd of all bitcoins to be issued.  Your example, of coin whose immediate parent was part of the 10K BTC pizza purchase, is another.

The problem is that because the coins are data and can be copied, transferring these coins to a new owner without creating a new transaction involves trust that the previous owner will destroy any archives and not spend the coin.  This trust requirement is likely why there is no collectible market yet for bitcoins, and why there probably won't ever be much of one.

Virgin bitcoins (generated but never spent) can have value due to them having no prior history.  If you have generated coins, there is no prior transaction in the blockchain that might be used to help learn your identity.  Though with the current difficulty levels the ability to earn virgin bitcoin from solo mining is getting close to impossible, those in the P2Pool and Eligius mining pools do generate virgin bitcoins directly to the miner and those coins have no prior history.

While there was at one time miners selling virgin bitcoins on the #bitcoin-otc marketplace, those types of offers aren't seen very often anymore, so the conclusion might be made there really isn't much of a market for virgin bitcoin either.

That being said, I'm sure the value of the 50 BTC (plus tips that have since been received) held (presumably) by Satoshi are worth way more than what 50 X $[current market rate] would ever return.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 09:06:31 PM

Certain bitcoins are worth more.  Newly minted blocks of 50 are sold by some at a premium.  

willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 09:10:17 PM

Yes my bitcoins are each worth 2 btc. Send me 2 bitcoins and I will send you one of my special ones for no extra charge! It's the bargain of a lifetime!

Will

phatsphere

Activity: 763

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 09:36:25 PM

imagine a dollar or euro bill with a serial number that is exactly your birth day. how much would you pay for it?
shotgun

Activity: 98
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 09:54:08 PM

imagine a dollar or euro bill with a serial number that is exactly your birth day. how much would you pay for it?

Whatever the face value is.

<luke-jr> Catholics do not believe in freedom of religion.
Mike Moceri

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 12:24:22 AM

I'd certainly be willing to pay extra for a "collector's" bitcoin, such as one of the pizza bitcoins or one of the genesis coins.
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 12:51:20 AM

Half of my bitcoins are Errors, so they are worth more than everyone else's.  Smiley

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 01:41:39 AM

Know www.wheresgeorge.com ?

Meet www.wheresbitcoin.com .

Be humble!
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 02:14:47 AM

trust me,  I bought some at it's peak when we were building flexcoin,  I DID pay more than everyone else for the first flexcoins...  LOL

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 02:42:02 AM

Interesting. Would be fascinating if you could trace the 'lineage' of the first bitcoins from the genesis block to someone holding them today. Well, I shouldn't say 'if' - that is what the blockchain is for. I don't think I'll be tackling that task, however.

The collectible aspect is a cool idea.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 03:03:56 AM

Interesting. Would be fascinating if you could trace the 'lineage' of the first bitcoins from the genesis block to someone holding them today. Well, I shouldn't say 'if' - that is what the blockchain is for. I don't think I'll be tackling that task, however.

The collectible aspect is a cool idea.

The genesis coins haven't been spent yet.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 05:07:34 AM

The genesis coins haven't been spent yet.

This is going futher offtopic, however,

The block chain (now) starts with block 0.
 - http://blockexplorer.com/b/0

And the address for the 50 BTC generated is here:
 - http://blockexplorer.com/address/1A1zP1eP5QGefi2DMPTfTL5SLmv7DivfNa

Not only has that coin not been spent, it has received nearly a dozen "tips", adding more than .11 BTC to its balance.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Departure

Activity: 1204
Merit: 288

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 05:24:25 AM

according to "mybitcoins" there coins are worth 51% more than the current, which means when converting our bitcoins to there coins we only get 49% of orginal value.
Binford 6100

Activity: 504

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 06:44:11 AM

hey, it's me who paid premium on pizza coins.
looking at the history of the coins, they have 70+ transactions between the pizza and my wallet
and they got mixed on the way to me in one of the addresses, so they are 'only' 90% pizza
and i only got 3,50 (pizza content 3,15 ; ) but it's the most memorable trade so far and i wanted have a part of it
i'm glad i had them. would do it again.

btw if you stumble upon any of the 10 bitcoins from the first transaction satoshi - hal (block 120), drop me a PM.
any fraction

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: