Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:08:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting the foundations of bitcoin looked at by Bruce Schneier  (Read 6813 times)
fergalish

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 05:20:41 PM

Why just Bruce Schneier?  Couldn't you offer a bounty to whoever can get a review of bitcoin published in a respectable cryptography journal?  Of course, you'd have to put the bounty in a trustworthy escrow, 'cos otherwise the reviewer might bias his or her conclusions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 11:00:47 PM

Paying for a security audit could be seen as trying to buy a positive review...

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Stefan Thomas

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

AKA: Justmoon

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 05:58:09 AM

That's ridiculous. You have to pay for the audit whatever the outcome is. There is no incentive on part of the auditor to fudge the result. On the contrary, his professional reputation is on the line.

Twitter: @justmoon
PGP: D16E 7B04 42B9 F02E 0660  C094 C947 3700 A4B0 8BF3
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 07:04:08 AM

I looked at the drafts so far - it's missing something important - an appropriate introduction.

Dear Mr. Schneier,

We're writing as a community of enthusiasts and creators of an open source cryptographic currency project called Bitcoin.  Bitcoin is a decentralized peer-to-peer money system that relies on cryptography instead of central banks to enforce the integrity of transactions.  Bitcoin was started in 200x by Satoshi Nakamoto, is billed as "the world's first cryptocurrency" and is starting to garner significant interest as of late 2010.

The reason why we're writing is, first and foremost, we wanted to see if you had heard of it, and if not, we'd like to invite you to become familiar with it.  Second, we're eager to hear any opinion you might have to share about it, whether that's for better or for worse.

We understand your time is valuable.  We hope that after a brief look you'll find Bitcoin to be truly novel and peculiar and worthy of your interest.  Several of us who are familiar with you and your work have expressed a willingness to collect a small but significant offering if you're interested - naturally, payable in Bitcoins.

I've included a brief synopsis of Bitcoin, as well as a summary of Nakamoto's Bitcoin Whitepaper for your convenience.  Our website is bitcoin.org, and we are available to answer any questions you may have.

Sincerely, ...

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
chaord

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 07:45:44 AM

Looks good...just fixed a couple grammar issues and added a little flare.  I'll also add 5 BTC to this bounty, payable when/if Schneier would like to redeem the offering.

Dear Mr. Schneier,

We're writing as a community of enthusiasts and creators of an open source cryptographic currency project called Bitcoin.  Bitcoin is a decentralized peer-to-peer money system that relies on cryptography instead of central banks to enforce the integrity of transactions.  Started in 2009 by Satoshi Nakamoto, Bitcoin is being billed as "the world's first cryptocurrency," and has recently started to garner significant interest.  Though officially still in beta, Bitcoin already has nodes, participants, and exchangers located around the world.

The reason why we are writing is, first and foremost, we wanted to see if you have heard of it.  If you have not, we'd like to invite you to become familiar with it.  Second, we are eager to hear any opinion or critique you might have to share about it.

We understand your time is valuable.  We hope that after a brief look you will find Bitcoin to be truly novel, peculiar, and worthy of your interest.  Several of us who are familiar with you and your work have expressed a willingness to collect a small but significant offering if you're interested - naturally, payable in Bitcoins.

I have included a brief synopsis of Bitcoin, as well as a summary of Nakamoto's Bitcoin Whitepaper for your convenience.  Our website is bitcoin.org, and we are available to answer any questions you may have.

Sincerely, ...
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 08:01:37 AM

to enforce the integrity of transactions

+ and the transparency of the total amount in circulation.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 08:15:34 AM

That's ridiculous. You have to pay for the audit whatever the outcome is. There is no incentive on part of the auditor to fudge the result. On the contrary, his professional reputation is on the line.

An external observer might consider a paid review biased if the reviewer says things that benefit who is paying, specially if they don't understand the details of what is involved.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
QuantumMechanic

Activity: 110
Merit: 19

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 11:41:34 AM

Maybe "the world's first cryptocurrency" should be changed to "the world's first p2p cryptocurrency" so as not to disregard the work of Chaum, et. al.
ChupacabraHunter

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

Chupacabra = Corrupt Gov't,Lies and Fraud

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 08:45:16 AM

This is a very interesting thread, did it die, or can it be revived now that Bitcoins are getting even sweeter to own?

just wondering...
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 02:14:05 AM

I never heard back from him, give it a try if you want.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: