Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:32:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What does "Transactions that were relayed first by the ip" mean exactly?  (Read 1541 times)
manuel (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:19:59 AM

There are a ton of transactions on that says "Transactions that were relayed first by the ip [my ip]" on Blockchain.info that i had no part in.  Some of them are for huge numbers of coins, way more than I've ever had in my possession.  Some mention services I've never used "satoshi dice" for example.  And, lastly, many transactions that I did originate are NOT listed.

Whatup with that?

What does this mean?

Lord F(r)og
Donator

Activity: 477
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:25:02 AM

There are a ton of transactions on that says "Transactions that were relayed first by the ip [my ip]"

Whatup with that?

What does this mean?

looks like you're runnin' a node, aren't you?

edit:

check http://blockchain.info/nodes-globe to find your node
manuel (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:35:23 AM

There are a ton of transactions on that says "Transactions that were relayed first by the ip [my ip]"

Whatup with that?

What does this mean?

looks like you're runnin' a node, aren't you?

edit:

check http://blockchain.info/nodes-globe to find your node

Well I'm running bitcoin-qt yea but what exactly does this mean?  What does first to relay mean?  How does it work?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:50:45 AM

Every node relay every transactions, that's why the bitcoin network is a network. So your node relay all the transactions. If the transactions blockchain.info received were from your node, then it show that. It does not mean you made them.

This is why any approach to track transactions based on IP is useless and an epic fail.

Lord F(r)og
Donator

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:53:17 AM

How does it work?

Your client connects to other clients. Other clients connect to nodes. Nodes connect to other nodes. Other nodes connect to other clients. Your transaction becomes propagated through the network until the last client knows your transaction. The IP is from the node that relayed your transaction first. So, you're runnin' a node or what?
manuel (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:57:32 AM

I see.  Thanks for clearing that up.
Lord F(r)og
Donator

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 01:02:26 AM