Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:48:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Baidu Stops Accepting Bitcoin, Price Slumps Again  (Read 1240 times)
Definit (OP)

Activity: 357
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:35:21 AM

http://www.coindesk.com/baidu-stops-bitcoin-price-slumps-again/

sweet... looks like the fun sha'll begin...

or the Fear stage is amongst us, either way... still fun.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cowandtea

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 03:58:51 AM

That sucks, but it will recover soon Smiley

solidshotnosh

Activity: 307

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:12:56 AM

That sucks, but it will recover soon Smiley

I like all these quotes from the new members who think they know what's going on.

Every new "To the moon" or " It's gonna crash" has been someone who registered recently.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:14:54 AM

i'm a little bit bearish as to whether it's going to reach back to $1k+, at least until the end of the year. starting in october, it was good news, good news, good news, good news.. now it looks like it's bad news, bad news.. as in it's kind of cascading.
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:17:16 AM

Much needed reality check for everyone

On balance, happy it happened

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:22:30 AM
Last edit: December 07, 2013, 06:38:14 AM by AnonyMint

Reality check.

However, general public may trade bitcoin on the internet by taking their own risk.
How is that not uber-bullish?

Because if merchants aren't allowed to accept it as currency then that is a major blow for bitcoin adoption in China.  However it's not clear to me if that is the case.
Who said merchants were not allowed to accept it as currency?

From the 'human translation' on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1s5hzl/my_human_translation_of_the_china_regulation/

"Bitcoin is a specified virtual commodity, it does not have equal legal status with money currency, and it cannot and should not be used as money currency on the market."

Note the important correction.

That could be interpreted to mean that any Chinese business should not treat bitcoin as money currency i.e. not accept it as payment like they would if it were a currency.

My father is a former West Coast division head attorney for Exxon. I appear to have inherited some of his high IQ ability to interpret the law.

I can't find anything in this document that specifically bans the bolded assumption.

This document is merely stating that Bitcoin will not be allowed to circulate widely as a currency to compete with RMB, because all volatility risk will remain outside the financial sector in the private parties and exchanges. It is very free market way of saying Bitcoin will not be backed by the government's system. There is nothing stopping businesses from accepting it, and converting it to RMB via a registered exchange.

The government will not likely clamp down on small scale acceptance, as it presents no credible threat to RMB. As we all see now, businesses are forced to convert to fiat immediately if they have significant expenses in fiat, i.e. Bitcoin presents no threat to fiat at the moment because of its volatility and the need for businesses to have fiat to pay their employees and operating expenses, etc..

Note small scale in China is big scale relative to current Bitcoin market size given the large population. Bitcoin is only in the tens of $billion range of market cap. Fiat finance is in the hundreds of $trillions. Bitcoin can grow immensely while still being small scale relative to fiat finance market size.

Whereas, (small) businesses could keep their profits in BTC, as easydns did (PenAndPaper username). Of course big businesses can't because the Bitcoin market cap is too small any way, besides big businesses are not into such risk.

The document is saying that non-financial entities must accept risk of holding BTC.

So this does not to stop the trajectory of Bitcoin in China. Exchanges can still operate and are not prevented from having a bank account to operate with. The document only bans financial institutions (and payment providers) from being market makers, underwriting, insurance, etc. In other words, all the risk and market making must be done by individuals and exchanges.

What they have done is simply kept Bitcoin in the free market-- the wild west.

This is an extremely bullish outcome. They have clarified that Bitcoin is legal for its small scale free market functions.

The Baidu thing is very suspicious. They accepted for a very small portion of their business which was misunderstood and caused a euphoria, then they dump when people misunderstand the ruling above, in order to create panic. Looks like some manipulators are getting rich on BTC pump & dump & rebuy on the dump.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: