Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:20:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any well rounded theories to curb volatility?  (Read 1293 times)
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 02:31:15 AM

Would be nice to know any ideas afloat on curbing the volatility of Bitcoin to FIAT prices.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
subvolatil

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

Cypherpunk and full-time CryptoAnarchist

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:51:31 AM

Would be nice to know any ideas afloat on curbing the volatility of Bitcoin to FIAT prices.

A global Exchange, High volumes of traders, and stable government acceptance of bitcoin.
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 02:53:54 AM

A global Exchange, High volumes of traders, and stable government acceptance of bitcoin.

That has too many variables. There has to be some simpler solution.

Something built into Bitcoin, like an exchange price logger that does not allow for mass fluctuations.

Regardless as to how high it climbs back, this is depressing to watch.

buysellbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1001

https://www.zebpay.com

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 02:55:58 AM

Few things I really believe are :
1. We must use now small denominations for bitcoin default price.. Like mBTC or so. That way the swings looks a bit smaller.
2. More adoption. If more people have BTC on hands and they are active in trading, pump and dump becomes a little difficult.
3. In any sane regulated exchange they must use lower circuit to make sure market calm down a bit on such days. Bitcoin exchanges must be regulated. Otherwise there is no way to know if even it is manipulated by exchange itself.
4. Everyone must understand Bitcoin is a huge social and economical experiment and just 4 year old. This is not investment option for middle class who is savings from their salary. It is very risky for investment for the time being. Once we have some kind of consumer protection law framed for it, than and than only it should be seen as investment. Obviously people who can afford to loose some part of portfolio in such wild swings can do it their own risk and there is nothing wrong with that.

Regards

Download Zebpay Fastest way to Buy / Sell Bitcoins in India
Transaction processing within one working day and best bitcoin rates | Recharge airtime & buy vouchers of Amazon, Flipkart, Domino's at great discounts
subvolatil

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:58:32 AM

Something built into Bitcoin, like an exchange logger that does not allow for mass fluctuations.

Well the only thing that comes to mind is a standardized exchange protocol that all exchanges can us, where in trade of bitcoin can be  done  between exchanges. This would stabilize prices to a certain extent. but trade between exchanges it self brings up  far to many hurdles than solution.
buysellbitcoin
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 02:59:52 AM

Something built into Bitcoin, like an exchange logger that does not allow for mass fluctuations.

Well the only thing that comes to mind is a standardized exchange protocol that all exchanges can us, where in trade of bitcoin can be  done  between exchanges. This would stabilize prices to a certain extent. but trade between exchanges it self brings up  far to many hurdles than solution.

well I do not know if its legal.. I am sure exchange can not take part in any kind of trading..

reagrds

Transaction processing within one working day and best bitcoin rates | Recharge airtime & buy vouchers of Amazon, Flipkart, Domino's at great discounts
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 03:01:39 AM

Well the only thing that comes to mind is a standardized exchange protocol that all exchanges can us, where in trade of bitcoin can be  done  between exchanges. This would stabilize prices to a certain extent. but trade between exchanges it self brings up  far to many hurdles than solution.

This makes sense to build a protocol on top of Bitcoin that has an algorithm that controls its prices based on supply and demand.

subvolatil

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 03:07:24 AM

Well the only thing that comes to mind is a standardized exchange protocol that all exchanges can us, where in trade of bitcoin can be  done  between exchanges. This would stabilize prices to a certain extent. but trade between exchanges it self brings up  far to many hurdles than solution.

well I do not know if its legal.. I am sure exchange can not take part in any kind of trading..

reagrds
Well i am talking about trade between exchanges, like a user in exchange A get his purchase from exchange B. the exchange it self does not take part in the trade. But the inter-trading between various exchanges takes place to accommodate the best price for  sell and buyer, automatically.
buysellbitcoin
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 03:09:34 AM

reagrds
Well i am talking about trade between exchanges, like a user in exchange A get his purchase from exchange B. the exchange it self does not take part in the trade. But the inter-trading between various exchanges takes place to accommodate the best price for  sell and buyer, automatically.

Well that can surely help with volatility and manipulation...
This in fact really good idea.. But I doubt if any exchange will accept it because than they will not be able to manipulate a lot.

Regards

subvolatil

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 03:12:42 AM

reagrds
Well i am talking about trade between exchanges, like a user in exchange A get his purchase from exchange B. the exchange it self does not take part in the trade. But the inter-trading between various exchanges takes place to accommodate the best price for  sell and buyer, automatically.

This in fact really good idea.. But I doubt if any exchange will accept it because than they will not be able to manipulate a lot.

Regards

This is where Benson suggestion of a protocol built on top of bitcoin makes sense. once it is on bitcoin. there will be services that will open up  starting an exchange arround the world these exchanges would be interconnected and the onec that stand alone will eventually loose customer volumes and the newer exchanges will make up a majority.
Benson Samuel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 07:42:47 AM

reagrds

Regards

Price volatility rules can also be built into the protocol. Wonder how the traditional stock market or the forex markets avoid large pump and dumps.

Coin.Karma

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:37:37 PM

Any form of external control or regulation is not good as well as not welcome for bitcoin as of now. Until it is evenly distributed these situations will keep occurring. We will see many more bubbles before it gets into large scale adoption. It is still a baby now. If you compare it with the trillions in the world economy, it is still a few month old baby, but sure a prodigy at that.

cheers
buysellbitcoin
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 01:30:42 PM

it is still a few month old baby, but sure a prodigy at that.

cheers

Worth being tagline Smiley

Regards

Coin.Karma

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 01:33:15 PM

reagrds

Regards

Price volatility rules can also be built into the protocol. Wonder how the traditional stock market or the forex markets avoid large pump and dumps.

stocks have limitations on daily growth, for example certain stocks are only allowed to grow 5% within a day, and then trading is halted. I remember a scenario where, once stock I bought for 35 INR, kept hitting the 5% everyday till it hit about 150 INR and then corrected  bit and the came back to 65 INR after that it was doing normal detail....I think it was Hindustan Paper something..this was way back in 2003..

cheers

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:49:45 AM

There is a discussion on a similar topic for Mastercoin which is based on Bitcoin protocol at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=324830.0. Sounds like an interesting idea for merchants.

These are very early days for Bitcoin. There will be more bad news and crashes. As long as people are only speculating on its value this is bound to happen. I guess these are growing pains of Bitcoin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: