Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:16:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Identity of Satoshi Nakamoto Revealed  (Read 3832 times)
Seolvit (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 05:02:58 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto is (probably) Nick Szabo
by John Biggs  the East Coast Editor of TechCrunch.

https://likeinamirror.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/satoshi-nakamoto-is-probably-nick-szabo/comment-page-1/#comment-96

I recently became interested in identifying the pseudonymous creator of Bitcoin, Satoshi Nakamoto. I started from the Bitcoin whitepaper
  • published in late 2008, and proceeded to run reverse textual analysis –essentially, searching the internet for highly unusual turns of phrase and vocabulary patterns (in particular places which you would expect a cryptography researcher to contribute to), then evaluating the fitness of each match found by running textual similarity metrics on several pages of their writing.

Read the complete article here: https://likeinamirror.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/satoshi-nakamoto-is-probably-nick-szabo/comment-page-1/#comment-96
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 05:10:44 AM

To busy watching the price dropping. No time for who satoshi really is.  Embarrassed
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 05:16:15 AM

Yeah, we're bored with the primeval mystery of the identity of SN. FWIW, latest theory is that he is one of these guys:

melacs

Activity: 41

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 05:34:39 AM

As with every theory, there are more people debunking it than believing it.
The problem is that if Satoshi really moved on and only posted with his own account, then analyzing this would only show who has the most alike language to Satoshi. I'm sure that 'the whole internet' in this search was greatly confined to articles about bitcoin and similar content. This would lead ultimately to having a likely answer coming out very probable.

As for the picture above. I got a gut feeling that Satoshi may have a little bit more hair than that, haha. Cheesy
(no offense to bald people I'm losing hair myself)
Mylon

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Mining FTW

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:36:15 AM

debunked: http://unenumerated.blogspot.nl/2009/05/liar-resistant-government.html

Bit gold, my sketch of an electronic currency that minimally relies on trust in any one person or organization, achieves this minimal vulnerability by using secure property titles. Satoshi Nakamoto has implemented BitCoin which very similarly uses a dense Byzantine fault tolerant peer-to-peer network and and cryptographic hash chains to ensure the integrity of a currency.
Why talk about yourself in the third person...

Satoshi has been reading Nick's work, and its most likely based off it. But I do not believe its him. Why reference yourself 3 months after you released something...

"All Your Base Are Belong To Us" by CATS
ButchHashidy

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

...and the BitcoinKid

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:13:27 AM

debunked: http://unenumerated.blogspot.nl/2009/05/liar-resistant-government.html

Bit gold, my sketch of an electronic currency that minimally relies on trust in any one person or organization, achieves this minimal vulnerability by using secure property titles. Satoshi Nakamoto has implemented BitCoin which very similarly uses a dense Byzantine fault tolerant peer-to-peer network and and cryptographic hash chains to ensure the integrity of a currency.
Why talk about yourself in the third person...

Satoshi has been reading Nick's work, and its most likely based off it. But I do not believe its him. Why reference yourself 3 months after you released something...

If you're trying to keep your pseudonym disconnected from you, hiding in plain sight using misdirection seems logical to me.

The author of the original article makes a good point:

Then, there is secondary evidence. It is obvious that Satoshi did extensive research about prior mentions of concepts similar to Bitcoin, as any proper scientist writing a paper would have. This is evidenced by Satoshi’s reference to Wei Dai’s b-money, as well as hashcash, while both of them do not even seem to have been a direct inspiration to Bitcoin. However, he made no mention of Nick Szabo’s bit gold, whereas Bitcoin is quite visibly built directly on top of the bit gold ideas. If Satoshi had been writing independently from Nick, wouldn’t he have cited his work as per proper scientific etiquette?

This is simply a rebuttal, I'm not sufficiently convinced either but the evidence this author presents is intriguing.  

Jumpin' Jack Hash is a gas gas gaas
CoinGeneral

Activity: 182

The General

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:28:12 AM

There are so many Satoshi Nakamoto suspects it's not even funny. Yes, Nick Szabo is one of them, but there are so so so so so much more, and it is more likely it is another person than Nick Szabo because Nick Szabo last time I checked was very good at writing papers and concepts but is not an expert cryptographer or mathematician himself.

There are so many suspects, people have been suspecting Nick Szabo since forever and there are much better suspects than him, trust me. Sometimes I think it is a little too obvious who he is because of the evidence available that might spotlight one or a group of these suspects, but when you think you know who it is, all of a sudden you find some evidence that shows it might not be him/them after all.

oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 09:20:04 AM

The blog that this post first made appearance have no history of posting and most likely was newly created, I suspect the author maybe trying to lead people astray in their searches of Satoshi.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:49:47 PM

Can't we leave Satoshi alone with his decission ?

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 01:03:33 PM

Definitely. Every other day I am hearing about some individual being "accused" as Satoshi. If media can't find his real identity (they don't even know whether Satoshi is a single individual or a group of individuals), then why they are trying to fry our brain?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 01:36:31 PM

Some people are just nosy fucks and won't leave people alone, the second a person who's untrustworthy will find them, word will spread, the media will get involved and then he will be targeted for assassination by governments so as to set an example or arrested as a financial terrorist. There's a very good reason that he's keeping anonymous and it's because of all the bullshit that would follow if he revealed his identity and it doesn't take a genius to figure it out when you look at how particularly the U.S has treated people like Edward Snowden or Julian Assange.

The difference between him and them though is they clearly calculated what would happen if they revealed themselves after posting this stuff up which is why we haven't heard a thing from 'them' ( still think he could be a girl or an alien Cheesy ) so I really wish people would stop being such assholes about this. I can actually see governments totally overreacting to this sort of thing soon enough and they'll start kicking down innocent peoples' doors and arresting them or getting them killed just because the media had a verbal diarrhoea moment on national television like they always do.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:59:41 PM

Well, for what it's worth, he is kind of a public figure.
He'll have to deal with it. That's probably precisely why he chose to stay anonymous.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Singlebyte

Activity: 854

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:39:52 PM

Please edit title to include date format as outlined in sticky at top of thread.  Helps when we search archive.  Thanks

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246823.0
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 10:25:38 PM

I find efforts to "find satoshi" to belong in one of two camps:

1.) They are simply too stupid to understand that the person or persons deliberately chose to be anonymous. Don't go sniffing where someone doesn't want you to, you naive idiot.

2.) They have an agenda, where revealing the creator or creators of Bitcoin would allow close personal scrutiny of their lives, likes and dislikes, providing fodder for those that oppose or fear Bitcoin in general. "See, he was a member of this group - obviously bitcoin was meant to be a subversive terrorist weapon against our country!!"

Anyone who participates in the search, writes about it, or just in general keeps this idea going - is a complete fool at best, and at worst, an enemy to anyone who values the freedoms that Bitcoin provides.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
CoinGeneral

Activity: 182

The General

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 11:21:21 PM

I find efforts to "find satoshi" to belong in one of two camps:

1.) They are simply too stupid to understand that the person or persons deliberately chose to be anonymous. Don't go sniffing where someone doesn't want you to, you naive idiot.

2.) They have an agenda, where revealing the creator or creators of Bitcoin would allow close personal scrutiny of their lives, likes and dislikes, providing fodder for those that oppose or fear Bitcoin in general. "See, he was a member of this group - obviously bitcoin was meant to be a subversive terrorist weapon against our country!!"

Anyone who participates in the search, writes about it, or just in general keeps this idea going - is a complete fool at best, and at worst, an enemy to anyone who values the freedoms that Bitcoin provides.

Trust me there are people who have already figured it out yet purposely do not announce it, due to camp number 3:

3.) They figure out who he or they are just due to natural human curiosity, but because he or they wish to remain anonymous, they let him or them be anonymous and give out zero clues to who he or they are. They do not announce their search, they do not announce any clues, they just let him or them be.

Actually who knows if they have figured it out or not? No one is certain who Satoshi really is, but they have their own theories and answers, yet at the same time do not purposely give it out loud.

mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 01:54:31 AM

I agree with this theory, that Nick Szabo is Satoshi.

To me, the biggest piece of evidence that very few people discuss, is the fact that Nick Szabo attempted to post-date his "bit gold" post from 2005 to 2009, after the release of Bitcoin.
melacs

Activity: 41

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 02:44:12 AM

Trust me there are people who have already figured it out yet purposely do not announce it, due to camp number 3:

3.) They figure out who he or they are just due to natural human curiosity, but because he or they wish to remain anonymous, they let him or them be anonymous and give out zero clues to who he or they are. They do not announce their search, they do not announce any clues, they just let him or them be.

Actually who knows if they have figured it out or not? No one is certain who Satoshi really is, but they have their own theories and answers, yet at the same time do not purposely give it out loud.
Hear, hear. Yes, I agree.

oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 03:56:23 AM

To me, the biggest piece of evidence that very few people discuss, is the fact that Nick Szabo attempted to post-date his "bit gold" post from 2005 to 2009, after the release of Bitcoin.

There is another possibility: he is not Satoshi, but he knows who Satoshi is.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
KeyserSozeMC

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

I'm dying.

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 03:57:51 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto is the project name for cryptocoins.
It all started in 1996 with NSA.

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes/6.805/articles/money/nsamint/nsamint.htm#Introduction

Stop hunting ghosts.

Hey, smexy. Don't waste your time. Time's precious.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 04:40:36 PM

That's funny. So the witch hunt continues. Anyway Nick Szabo created the "bitgold" after getting inspiration from Wei Dai (who in 1998 created the digital currency b-money). And Dai was inspired by David Chaum, who first proposed cryptographic system for untraceable payments in 1982. The list will go on and on.......
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: