Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:40:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum won't start  (Read 1610 times)
JuanHungLo (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1001

I don't always drink...

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 05:10:35 AM

Win 7 -64, was using program earlier today.  Now when I click on the desktop icon.  Nothing happens.
Please advise.

Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. - John Templeton

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JuanHungLo (OP)

I don't always drink...

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:05:17 AM

Nevermind.  I just uninstalled the program and reinstalled it then rebuilt the wallets using the master public keys.  No problems.  I did find out the the original wallets must have been corrupted somehow.  After uninstalling and before reinstalling I backed up the contents of the C:\Users\<myname>\AppData\Roaming\Electrum\wallets and then deleted the original folders.  Upon reinstallation everything worked fine.  I skipped the rebuilding of the wallets the first time around and just quit the program and then copied the old wallet files to the new folder.  Then attempted to restart the program.  Same problem.  It would not start.  So I just archived the old wallet data, uninstalled Electrum, reinstalled, and rebuilt the wallets with the master public keys.

Is it that easy to corrupt a wallet file?  Any ideas??

Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. - John Templeton
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1560

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:12:33 PM

master public key (MPK) creates a watch only wallet meaning you won't be able to spend the coins. You will need a working backup of the seeded wallet or a copy of the seed to be able to restore a full wallet.
JuanHungLo (OP)

I don't always drink...

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:26:05 PM

master public key (MPK) creates a watch only wallet meaning you won't be able to spend the coins. You will need a working backup of the seeded wallet or a copy of the seed to be able to restore a full wallet.

Correct, that is the way I had it configured anyway.  The primary reason I use Electrum is because of the watch only wallet and offline wallet concept.  The lack of necessity to download the blockchain is a close second.

Thanks for your reply though.

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 1560

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 01:03:11 PM

Correct, that is the way I had it configured anyway.  The primary reason I use Electrum is because of the watch only wallet and offline wallet concept.  The lack of necessity to download the blockchain is a close second.

Thanks for your reply though.

Yeah definitely one of the best features of electrum. Glad everything is ok Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: