Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:27:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining-Rig 3*HD7990 -- Problem -- Freeze after 10-30 minutes  (Read 12589 times)
CarlWillhelmG (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:24:20 PM

Hey guys i need help with my rig... im a little desperate after 2 weeks of try and error...

i have the following setting:
3*radeon hd 7990
2* 1000W PSU
2*4gb RAM
AMD Athlon II x3
Windows 8 64bit
newest catalyst and app sdk driver

everthing is set up with riser cables and enough box fans for good airflow...
im mining with cgminer and i tried the following three settings:
--scrypt -I 13 -w 256 -g 2 --gpu-fan 100 --thread-concurrency 8192
--scrypt -I 18
--scrypt -I 18 -g 1 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 24000
(these three work perfectly for a friends rig with 3hd7990, the difference is that he has an octacore cpu and 2*8gb RAM but that shouldnt make any difference right?)

while running my rig the temps are good .. constantly lower than 80°C... but after 10-30 minutes the system freezes.. and the last frame is visible but the screen doesnt get dark...
below are some photos of the freezing screen... i read in this post (the https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=4996.0) that "Only disabling all ATI software and processes from booting with windows" solved the problem..but how do i do that and what exactly should i disable?
sometimes before freezing the gpu no.4 shows suddently a temp around 500°C but the whole time before that it is around 75°C
and sometimes my cpu shows an high peak and the temp of gpu4 drops to 50°C ....
i already replaced the graphicscard but this is still happening

am i making any other mistake that i cant see?

it would be so sweet to hear your opinion

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/c/40/te5v.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/c/440/lvz5.jpg
Sophokles

Activity: 1218
Merit: 516

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 12:30:32 PM

What voltage are you running the cards on? Got this problem when I was undervolting too much. If you didn't undervolt,  the 1000w psu is insufficient.

Did you measure power consumption at the wall socket ? Get a power meter to check it.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
CarlWillhelmG (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:35:06 PM

hmm im not undervolting... i think the cards (Gigabyte) are locked...are you sure my friend is running the exact same setting .... he has also two 1000W PSUs and for him its working nice...
but im going to measure it...
Sophokles

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 12:40:10 PM

Ok, you've got TWO 1000W PSUs. I misread that the first time. In this case you are ok.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
▬▬▬▬▬
chondrite

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 01:00:25 PM

hmm im not undervolting... i think the cards (Gigabyte) are locked...are you sure my friend is running the exact same setting .... he has also two 1000W PSUs and for him its working nice...
but im going to measure it...

Try adjusting the voltages with MSI Afterburner beta version.  I was able to drop the voltage from 1200 to 800 on each core with my 7990.
CarlWillhelmG (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 01:33:24 PM

Try adjusting the voltages with MSI Afterburner beta version.  I was able to drop the voltage from 1200 to 800 on each core with my 7990.

unfortunately this isnt working for me .. i have a 64bit system.. and the beta is only available for 32bit systems ... and besides the gigabyte cards are locked... with the normal afterburner version i cant change the value for the corevoltage
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:26:57 PM

I use Windows 8 64 bit. I can use the MSI afterburner Beta to change the core voltage. My catalyst version is 13.4/13.6 beta.

What is your core/mem frequency? Can you reduce the frequency of GPU4?
Bfljosh

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Skol!

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:31:37 PM

Brand of the cards?
Sophokles

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 06:43:10 PM

Does the system freeze with only one or two cards as well ?

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
▬▬▬▬▬
CarlWillhelmG (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 09:35:05 PM

i have gigabyte cards .. and the system works fine with 2 cards but with 3 it freezes ... coreclock is 1000MHz memoryclock is 1500MHz.. i didnt change that..

I use Windows 8 64 bit. I can use the MSI afterburner Beta to change the core voltage. My catalyst version is 13.4/13.6 beta.
What is your core/mem frequency? Can you reduce the frequency of GPU4?

im wondering where you did find this beta..that works for 64bit...

i still havent got a solution for that problem ... maybe the problem comes from my two powersupplies... sometimes after a freeze one of the 3cards does not restart with the computer... only after i switched around with the pci-e power cables it starts working again .. that strange ... because the PSUs are brandnew and the my friend runs his rig with the same ones without any trouble...
Eastwind

Activity: 896

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:44:29 PM

It is here

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
Download the latest beta version

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/msi_afterburner_beta_download.html

Just reduce the frequency to see what happens.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:27:06 PM

If you happen to have an Asrock 970 Extreme4 motherboard (or any Asrock) , get a better one like the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. Just like I had to do

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/50970-asrock-970-extreme4-fx-8350-unstable-stock-settings.html

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
chondrite

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:07:24 AM

unfortunately this isnt working for me .. i have a 64bit system.. and the beta is only available for 32bit systems ... and besides the gigabyte cards are locked... with the normal afterburner version i cant change the value for the corevoltage

No idea what you're talking about...i have a 64 bit system and am using the MSI afterburner beta just fine.  Gigabyte cards are notorious for their voltage locking.  But I'm not sure if they're actually locked on the 7990s.
tom_o

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:54:02 PM

Try Win+R then msconfig, you can disable the catalyst centre etc from loading using that.
CarlWillhelmG (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 08:04:47 PM

ok cool i didn't know that there is a 64bit version.. juhu Smiley ... thanks a lot!! my friend is really happy too because he didnt knew as well... the temps drop around 8-10° thats insane ^^

after disabling the catalyst centre & co... it still crashes after a few minutes.. im pretty sure now that my PSUs are doing some crazy shit... new ones are on the way...
Slingshot

Activity: 616

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 03:10:57 PM

Hey guys i need help with my rig... im a little desperate after 2 weeks of try and error...

i have the following setting:
3*radeon hd 7990
2* 1000W PSU
2*4gb RAM
AMD Athlon II x3
Windows 8 64bit
newest catalyst and app sdk driver

everything is set up with riser cables and enough box fans for good airflow...
im mining with cgminer and i tried the following three settings:
--scrypt -I 18
(these three work perfectly for a friends rig with 3hd7990, the difference is that he has an octacore cpu and 2*8gb RAM but that shouldnt make any difference right?)

while running my rig the temps are good .. constantly lower than 80°C... but after 10-30 minutes the system freezes.. and the last frame is visible but the screen doesnt get dark...
below are some photos of the freezing screen... i read in this post (the https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=4996.0) that "Only disabling all ATI software and processes from booting with windows" solved the problem..but how do i do that and what exactly should i disable?
sometimes before freezing the gpu no.4 shows suddenly a temp around 500°C but the whole time before that it is around 75°C
and sometimes my cpu shows an high peak and the temp of gpu4 drops to 50°C ....
i already replaced the graphics card but this is still happening

am i making any other mistake that i cant see?

it would be so sweet to hear your opinion

edit...
I gotta run:
--------------
NOT EDITED: I will try to do so later!
------------------------------------------

------------------
*not edited yet*
------------------

I will take a stab at this. Let's "work the issue".

Maybe this will help, I hope...see the PSU issue first. That is likely the issue. Or lack of Powered Risers, and or lack of secondary Video Molex outlet on mobo not having any juice (voltage) to it. Also is the motherboard designed to handle 3 such beasts as those 7990's Huh

1st - 2*4gb RAM = 8 gig correct? If so then maybe with (3) 7990's Cards your under memory requirements.

Open up Task Manager on the Task Bar at the bottom of your desktop. Then click the PROFORMACE tab in Task Manager.
That will bring up both the CPU and Memory usage data and charts. Note how much memory is being taken by the entire system the first moments after the rig is mining. This may be your problem - not quite enough memory. But maybe not?

I don't know how much memory is on the 7990's - let's look:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7990/pages/radeon-7990.aspx

OKAY:

Questions:

ARE YOU USING "powered risers" and are they getting voltage (plugged in to the PSU) Huh

And is the motherboard PCIexpress secondary voltage OUTLET  PLUG  (Molex likely)  for extra Video Cards have a Molex cable or whatever feeding the Mobo extra juice??? Your system is running Hot Rod style cards btw, those such energy like crazy!! (a PCIexpress secondary voltage OUTLET  PLUG  (Molex likely)  for extra Video Cards may or may not be on your board). If none is there and no powered risers either it's obvous your running a very dangerous fire hazard to say the least, and maybe why it's crashing quickly through voltage drops which triggers sky high amperage as a result (massive heat issues). And fire hazzard galore in your case, IF no powered risers plus NO secondary  PCIexpress secondary voltage OUTLET  PLUG on board your mobo Huh In your case you need BOTH I would hazzard to merely guess. Others may chime in to assist but running those beasts will result in massive current flows.

Is your power supply big enough? High Quality (Corsair Gold?, and highly rated model ? ), Is it a Single Rail, or more than one rail? Are you drawing too much from one rail on a dual rail or multi-rail PSU?

Again,  Is your power supply big enough? - That's very critical. I would hazzard to even guess.

I just reviewed the link below again. (while working this issue):

Your cards require 470 watts to 490 watts EACH, according to those that reported testing them on their rigs. WOW!!!
Toss in your motherboard, hard drive, and other attached drives and what not and well one needs a 20% reserve capacity too at a minimum for safety (don't run a PSU at max output 24/7) so a 2000 watt PSU is required here!!! Or damn close to 2000watts. Or say 1 850 watt PSU for the mobo and 1st card. Then another 1200 watt for the 2nd two 7990's. That may result in solving this issue if your underpowered.

LOL, okay, well AFTER THE FACT of writing the above I see you have two 1000 watt power supplies. So your likely running two cards off one of those PSUs correct ? If so your up against the wall so to speak with it's peak output. If not a damn fine PSU it wont likely be stable, much less long term reliable from demanding it's peak output be met 24/7.

Try at least a 1200 Watt power supply (PSU) on those 2 cards that one is attached to and powering. IF THAT DOESN'T solve it then move on below. Better off though getting bigger than 1200 watt PSU since really those cards are far and away big drains. Gold Rated Corsair that is very well reviewed by users!!! Or whatever that size that is best reviewed whatever brand(s) are. But no way use any cheap PSU's that are not at least Gold Rated here.

Trouble Shootings sometimes a bitch. I worked here for you cause electrical trouble shooting is one thing that turns me on, sadly...

Do you have 3  7990's or four ? Not so clear in that above? I take it just 3 cards from further review! I base all this on 3 cards. And wow that's a beast of a rig in terms of power requirements and energy costs. But hey it's all about hash #'s too now that every coin is tough to mine and growing in value so there ya go!

NEXT:

7990 = 6GB of GDDR5

So 6gig x 3 = 18gig.

That's way more than say my 7950's (the most energy efficient cards to use). 7950's have 3gig as I recall each, or 9gig total for the 3 card rig I have.

My memory consumption with my VPN Application & Service running for encypted, secure internet, plus Kaspersky Internet 2013 and Malware Antimalware Lifetime, along with C3 GUIMiner's running all together while mining
all together in the Performance tab inside Task Manager equals = 3.21GB

Hum. I thought it would be a bit more memory consumption.

I run (2) 8 gig sticks = 16gig total since I got them free with matching motherboards and wanted spare motherboards which already came to be needed since one board ended up bad quickly.

So at any rate I don't know about this.

At first I thought maybe it's not enough memory but now not so sure.

Might want to re-install your AMD Video Drivers. Did you get them straight from AMD? That's the ticket. Same for the Uninstaller from AMD too.

Any Screen Freezes and Hard Shutdowns can cause the Video drivers damage, and until re-installed, or simply clicking the uninstaller inside control panel and then clicking repair instead of uninstall will likely fix any driver issues. If not use the AMD uninstaller app, and then do a fresh clean install again. Maybe run Ccleaners Registry cleaner though first to clear out the old left over AMD crud. But if you  don't know what your doing then registry cleaning can be very dangerous.
Same for regedit and manual registry cleaning.

At any rate maybe Drivers, or not enough memory even though it is seeming possibly okay in the Performance tab. Or bad memory.

I never ran cgminer in command line by itself. But instead in GUIMiner-Scrypt which is well EASY. But I did wonder why your first card is set at 8192 Huh but the 3rd one is at 24000, and the 2nd card doesn't display any data on your post??? :

--scrypt -I 18

I have read and reviewed many posts on cgminer and it's real picky/different than using it inside GUIMiner-scrypt when it comes to I (intensity settings) and also sometimes even Thread Concurrency settings.

Your I (Intensity setting) that seems to get a lot of folks in mesery with cgminer if they set it too high. Results in hardware errors. Evidently it must be lowered to result in no hardware errors for best mining results, plus of course even to resolve cgminer freezing up/screen freezes, etc.

-1 13 sounds correct for my 7950's as about as far as one is said to safely go with cgminer in the command line by itself, as I recall but am not too sure Huh Where as with cgminer inside GUIMiner-Scrypt I can usually run all the way dialed up to I 20, or at least I 19 without too many Stales resulting (<~3%). Much higher then I reduce the Intensity, but inside the GUI of GUIMiner for cgminer we have no reporting of hardware errors itself. I still wont switch to the bare cgminer since GUIMiner-Scrypt is so nice, easy, stable and well I can quickly switch from pool to different coins on the fly or even mine three different coins and three different pools quite easily. I don't know if cgminer alone can do that trick near as easy, I doubt it. Oddly some settings such as I for cgminer vary drastically if used with GUIMiner-scrypt compared to using it alone in the command line setting.

The I 18 setting of yours may be far too high, or not Huh Verify that if your not certain.
 And why??? do you have the 1st card at I 13 but the 3rd at I 18, makes no sense if their identical cards or even the same series (7990's)

The best thread-concurrency for all my many scrypt mining has been 24000 btw, but that is for 7950's and whats best for them. See below at the link to find your ideal settings or at least what's been effective. That's ideal. But 8191 is far too low for say my 7950's, let alone your fire breathing hot rod 7990's! Just remember that thread-concurrency must always divide by 64 resulting in a whole number (no fractions) for smooth mining results, for whatever reason(s).

See the Link below and other threads (do a search) to find the best cgminer settings for your 7990's. That also may be where the issue is unless your certain your setting are correct. But for the life of me I know 8192 is not correct ?!!?

The -g 2 what is that??? GPU threads maybe? For the correct settings there see the link below as well but even though some mining software sets that at 2 GPU threads for my 7950's they work ever so slightly better at 1 GPU thread. Not sure why or whatever but yours may well be very different for that settings. See below.

You got some trouble shooting to do. Work the problem. One step at a time. Verify everything down this list if need be.

The first place I would zoom to is test the rig again and check in the Performace tab for total memory usage and what's available still. That likely will check good? Maybe, or NOT!!!

Then adjust the -I down to 13 or even 12 for ALL Cards, just to see if that helps, if so then find the correct I settings for your card. In fact find the correct settings (VERIFY below) to make certain that is correct before doing any more risky settings adjustments!

https://litecoin.info/Mining_Hardware_Comparison

7990, CGAX-7999    1125    1075    1700          cgminer v 2.11.4    -I 13 --thread-concurrency 14336    84C, Catalyst 13.1, https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/607/proof7990.png

7990, CGAX-7999    1150    1090    1725          cgminer v 3.1.0    -I 13 -g 1 -W 256 --thread-concurrency 8192    87C, Catalyst 13.1, http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5343/imagetfc.jpg

7990, GV-R799D5-6GD-B    1250    980    1350    1.050 N       cgminer 3.4.0    -I 13 -g 2 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 14336 --gpu-powertune 20    Windows 8, 70-80C, i5-2500k, ASUS P8P67

7990, 102-C47601-00-AT    1325    1025    1500    1.075 N       cgminer 3.4.0    -I 20 -g 1 --thread-concurrency 24000 --gpu-powertune 20    Windows 7 2061, 66-79C, 6Z77-V DELUXE, 3770K, 16GB RAM
(M379B5273DH0-YK0), 2 x 7990, CoolerMaster Sniper case, AX1200 PSU, 660-670kH/s per GPU, 113-C47601M0-101 firmware

7990, R7990-6GD5    1344    965    1360    1.050 U    470    cgminer 3.7.2    -I 13 -g 2 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 8192    Windows 7, 87C, Celeron G530

7990, AX7990 6GBD5-M4DH    1363          N    490    cgminer 3.7.2       500GB HDD, RAMdrive, 80C, i7-4770K, 16GB RAM, 2x7990 @ 2721kH/s

7990, HD7990-6GD5    1518    1100    1480          cgminer 3.2.2    -I 13 -g 2 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 8192 --gpu-powertune 10    60C, Catalyst 13.9, FX-8320, 3x7990, watercooled

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware!

CarlWillhelmG (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:07:32 PM

hey thank you for your detailed answer...

hardware part:
- i have 3 * hd 7990 ...
- i looked it up and the system uses only 1,7 gb ram so there is enough left
- i have 3 powered risers and managed to put 50% of the whole system on each PSU with my cable configuration
- nothing gets too hot on my mainboard or on the risers.. i checked... everything feels cool except the gpus of course
- each graphics card has 2 pcie power-cables and 1 molex at the powered riser cable ...
- i have two 1000W bronze PSUs... and each has to do 50% of the work... but i think they are not so good ... maybe thats really my problem ... i already ordered new ones.. my friends rig is working pretty fine with 2 gold1000W PSUs... but i think you are right... it is really tight dimensioned ... 1200 W PSUs are way more expensive ... lets hope the 1000W gold ones do the job..

software part:
- i tried the 3 different settings for all my cards at once...sorry for the bad explanation but of course i have the same setting for every card... but i found the best and most stable thing is this
--scrypt -I 13 -w 256 -g 2 --gpu-fan 100 --thread-concurrency 8192  thats really the best setting for this card (dont knwo why -g 2 but it is rocking i can tell)--> my friend runs the same rig really stable with this config and 3 * radeon 7990 at 4190KHs .. i think thats really nice... and with undervolting to 1055 nothing gets to hot (nothing is over 79°C and some gpus are at 62°C)!
- i think it is no driver problem because i reinstalled and tried several versions of the catalyst and appsdk drivers... and i did it carefully and correctly

thank you very much much for getting turned on by my problem Cheesy
i report back when the new PSUs are here... you confirmed my assumption with your really nice list... thank you again
relm9

Activity: 840

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:26:45 PM

Do you have the Malta 7990 (AMD reference design)? In that case the 7990s do not take 470 - 490w each. That would include the system itself. Card itself draws ~ 350-370. It is the most efficient card out there, especially when undervolted.

2000w is more than enough. However wattage isn't everything... the PSU may be lacking in amps.

Personally, I'd go with a  Corsair 1200w for the system + 2 cards. Then put the third one on a 750w.

Btw I had no problem undervolting both cores of a Malta 7990 on Win 7 64-bit using MSI Afterburner.
Slingshot

Activity: 616

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:21:03 PM

RE:  -thread-concurrency 8192

Wow, that's for like a much lesser card than even my tame 7950's. Optimum for mine with 3 gig memory is 24000

I have difficulty in understanding that your cards must be "limited" by way of the  -thread-concurrency because reducing the thread-concurrency does exactly that. What it amounts to is reducing the stress on the card while being far from the optimum thread-concurrency setting for each and every different AMD model GPU, not to mention the onboard memory size.

There are references, maybe at the link above, or absolutely elsewhere to guide one on the range of possible optimal thread-concurrency settings. But for the life of me 8192 is far too low.

Your giving up at least by my guess as much as 75% or more of those cards band width -thread-concurrency 8192 if I understand that. .
************************************************************************************************************

Under-volting cards is fine, but it's a real possibly that your particular card(s) are not up to par enough for such a low undervolt as that, and can't be stressed that far. Lowering voltage increases card stress, and decreases stability. I should know cause I locked my rig up right on the start of it by going too low on volts with experimentations. Also the lower the volts the higher the amps. It's just the law of volts times amps equals watts as I recall. Higher amps equals two things: HEAT and Higher STRESS. In the same sense it's the very reason many delicate electronics today now instantly shut off as soon as voltage drops too low, say on a phone, tablet, or what not. So to protect the delicate circuits from being cooked by too much amperage surging as voltage drops too far for the design. Something I learned 32 years ago...

All I am getting at here is to maybe increase the voltage by a few volts and see how the rig responds. And if that helps then hopefully you can dial up the bandwidth ( -thread-concurrency) too. Your results will improve unless those cards are fundamentally different than all previous AMD GPU's.

Adjust only one thing at a time and then re-test. Never more than one thing till you get very wise as to likely results and all.

And maybe further refine, review other's thread-concurrency settings for those highest end cards of yours at that link above, and elsewhere here at bitcointalk, and maybe elsewhere such as wiki ?

I got my system so stable and reliable even when away for weeks all I do is reduce the overclock some and it's good to go, no worries ever. Even when overclocked to my personal max it's never had any issues ever but I take caution if gone for weeks. Never any problems at all. But I used top quality parts and basically found out what others did that worked best and copied their successes. I also have a decorative wire fencing around my rig to keep pets and kids from harm, and the rig too.

Anyway best of luck. And yea, the other person is correct: use the best power supplies, absolutely. Read customer reviews at newegg.com . And be careful with the powered risers as twisting those ribbon cables around can damage the internal wires and cause serious problems too, or even cause fires due to shorts or broken, frail fine gauge wires. More than a few rigs burned down due to not being built up to par. IE: high quality parts and components. It's a must to be safe. Your running those cards wide open 24/7/365. Same for the entire rig. Gotta be safe doing such things! No matter the cost. btw: A ups battery backup, my rig takes about 650 watts, and my 850 watt ups backup lasts at most 45 seconds, lol, but at least it catches most flickers and very brief lights out for a few seconds too. The ups also cleans and conditions the voltage as well as smooths and regulates the voltage output too. Very wise on expensive rigs. But not cheap. But dirty power kills tons of components. I wont run any desktop without a ups, a larger one, a quality one. Read the customer reviews...

AS for 1000 watts. Check that link, look at the row where it's watts, and scroll down to your model card. That's where I got the 470 watts to 490 watts from. At any rate even close to 1000watts consumption on a 1000watt PSU is far too dangerous for 24/7 use even for the best PSU. One needs at least 20% headroom from what Tacotime (hero member) stated a long while back. So keep that in mind too. But the other card and mobo could easily get by on a decent but not great 1000watt PSU that you already have!!! Just add up the watts of all the connections or estimate them. Save 20% for startup surging and for plenty of head room. Running a PSU hot is a fire hazard times ten!

Best Regards!
TribalBob

Activity: 1288
Merit: 257

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 07:38:13 PM

If you have 3 x 7970's why does cgminer report 5 gpu's in use...?
http://imageshack.com/i/14te5vj

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝