Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 05:24:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: **1 Free LTC offered for the solution to this problem - Bounty!  (Read 709 times)
btc_shell (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 01:59:20 PM

Ok,

so I've posted this problem earlier and was ignored.  It seems either no one knows the answer or no one has ever tried it! (hard to believe)

here it is...  for 1 LTC

I am running pooler-cpuminer-2.3.2-win64 via stratum proxy on a cloud server-  WinServer 2008 R2 x64.

The server has 8 Opteron processors with 4 cores each.  32 vcores (think).

but..... wait for it-  d-d-d-d-uhhh...(drum roll)

I'm only getting 4 Threads!  @ 5.5khs/sec each!!!   A total of 25khs.... why on Earth doesn't it see the other 7 processors?  Shouldn't I be getting 8x that amount at nearly 200 khs total??

Help me solve this pesky problem please and win a Litecoin..., as there is no information on the boards about it and no one seems to know!  It's as if nobody has mined on a server before.. .sheesh-

1 Free LTC for the solution.   Preferably Windows based, but if linux is easy enough.. Wink

thanks!
TBCM

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 02:11:28 PM

Run it with "--threads 32".

Jude Austin
Legendary

Activity: 1140
Merit: 1000

The Real Jude Austin

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 02:13:52 PM

Now that was easy!

Buy or sell $100 of Crypto and get $10!
btc_shell (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:22:29 PM

thanks, but I thought of that/tried it.  Here's what happens-

it seems to still only see the one processor as the hash rate drops to around 1/8th of what it was  ...  -only .77khs/sec

that makes it seem as though it's just splitting 4 cores from 1 processor into 32 now, my hash total still being 25khs give or take :/

-any ideas why?
Jude Austin
Legendary

The Real Jude Austin

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 02:23:39 PM

thanks, but I thought of that/tried it.  Here's what happens-

it seems to still only see the one processor as the hash rate drops to around 1/8th of what it was  ...  -only .77khs/sec

that makes it seem as though it's just splitting 4 cores from 1 processor into 32 now, my hash total still being 25khs give or take :/

-any ideas why?

Do this: cat /proc/cpuinfo

Then paste it here.

Nevermind, Windblows.

What does it show in Task Man?

Even better: WMIC CPU Get NumberOfCores,NumberOfLogicalProcessors /Format:List run this in CMD.

btc_shell (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:34:29 PM

thanks yes, ok-  it gets weirder-

opening up taskmgr it does show 100% cpu usage, 99% going to minerd.  -great, but the khs are still in the range of .65-.75, and the total adding up to around 21khs, making it even slower.  It really is only seeing the one processor it seems. 

When I go into device manager, I can confirm I have 8 Opteron processors  (this is a cloud server, Terramark) with 4 cores each!  This is Terremark's biggest instance-
 Do I have to "enable" my processors in Windows somehow?  seriously...
Jude Austin
Legendary

The Real Jude Austin

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 02:36:17 PM

thanks yes, ok-  it gets weirder-

opening up taskmgr it does show 100% cpu usage, 99% going to minerd.  -great, but the khs are still in the range of .65-.75, and the total adding up to around 21khs, making it even slower.  It really is only seeing the one processor it seems. 

When I go into device manager, I can confirm I have 8 Opteron processors  (this is a cloud server, Terramark) with 4 cores each!  This is Terremark's biggest instance-
 Do I have to "enable" my processors in Windows somehow?  seriously...

Can you paste what that command output?

btc_shell (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:38:44 PM

yes, just did it-

NumberOfCores=1
NumberOfLogicalProcessors=1

NumberOfCores=1

NumberOfCores=1

NumberOfCores=1

-

obviously only sees 1 processor -  argh.  Device Manager again checked and shows 8 individual AMD Opteron Quad-core processors.
Jude Austin
Legendary

The Real Jude Austin

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 02:42:23 PM

yes, just did it-

NumberOfCores=1

NumberOfCores=1

NumberOfCores=1

NumberOfCores=1

-

obviously only sees 1 processor -  argh.  Device Manager again checked and shows 8 individual AMD Opteron Quad-core processors.

Why on Earth would you buy a server from a cell phone company?

lol

I am thinking it has something to do with Windows.

Can you re-image the server and put Ubuntu or Debian?

Jude Austin
Legendary

The Real Jude Austin

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 02:45:03 PM

I think they just sold ya.

The whole server itself might have 8 Opterons but you are only allowed 4 Vcores.

This is pretty common in cloud setup, if you got all 8 of them you would be on a dedicated server.

But since you are on a cloud this is all shared.

imafish2002

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:46:06 PM

The whole server itself might have 8 Opterons but you are only allowed 4 Vcores.

This is pretty common in cloud setup, if you got all 8 of them you would be on a dedicated server.

winner winner chicken dinner.

This was about to be my guess Tongue
btc_shell (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:50:52 PM

that's what it seems like though doesn't it!  I was thinking the same thing, but since on Verizon's site they are advertising it etc...  wouldn't they actually give the product they advert?  I thought anything else would constitute false advertising etc..  I'm actually paying for those 8 processors, why not use a 1 processor instance then! that's insane if that's the case.

yeah.. I hear you about the telco cloud. I have free credit on a company account- thought I would try it while our servers are idle. Wink

I did set up an Ubuntu instance with the same specs but not being linux knowledgable I'd no idea where to start from scratch.  maybe a tutortial step by step .. been looking for one to easy-install....
TBCM

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 03:51:15 PM

I did set up an Ubuntu instance with the same specs but not being linux knowledgable I'd no idea where to start from scratch.  maybe a tutortial step by step .. been looking for one to easy-install....

I don't know what coin you are trying to mine so this is to get a pooler-cpuminer version with scrypt, sha256 and quark mining hashing capability. Get an image with Ubuntu, open a terminal and enter these commands:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libcurl4-openssl-dev
wget http://stonefoz.myfastmail.com/cpuminer-quark2.zip
apt-get install unzip
unzip cpuminer-quark2.zip
cd cpuminer-quark2
./configure CFLAGS="-msse4 -O3"
make
./minerd -a ("quark"/"sha256"/"scrypt") -t (numberofthreads - eg "8") -o (miningpoolURL):(portnumber) --userpass=poolworker:password

(For example: ./minerd -a scrypt -t 8 -o stratum+tcp://mine.pool-x.eu:9000 --userpass=LTCworker.1:x)

That should work.

Edit: this is for Ubuntu. I don't know about other distros.

btc_shell (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 03:54:45 PM

I did set up an Ubuntu instance with the same specs but not being linux knowledgable I'd no idea where to start from scratch.  maybe a tutortial step by step .. been looking for one to easy-install....

I don't know what coin you are trying to mine so this is to get a pooler-cpuminer version with scrypt, sha256 and quark mining hashing capability. Get an image with Ubuntu, open a terminal and enter these commands:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libcurl4-openssl-dev
wget http://stonefoz.myfastmail.com/cpuminer-quark2.zip
apt-get install unzip
unzip cpuminer-quark2.zip
cd cpuminer-quark2
./configure CFLAGS="-msse4 -O3"
make
./minerd -a ("quark"/"sha256"/"scrypt") -t (numberofthreads - eg "8") -o (miningpoolURL):(portnumber) --userpass=poolworker:password

(For example: ./minerd -a scrypt -t 8 -o stratum+tcp://mine.pool-x.eu:9000 --userpass=LTCworker.1:x)

That should work.

Edit: this is for Ubuntu. I don't know about other distros.

thank you, I will try that and report back
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: