Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:42:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Build virtual machines (Amazon EC2 ami images for 0.3.20)  (Read 3325 times)
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2011, 12:14:17 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2011, 08:26:48 PM by gavinandresen

I've made public the windows, linux32 and linux64 Amazon Machine Images used to build bitcoin 0.3.20.  If you have an Amazon EC2 account, you can launch them and have your own working build environment for linux or windows bitcoin (paid for by the hour).

They are:
  ami-4adf2c23        32-bit Linux (Ubuntu 9.04)
  ami-12df2c7b        64-bit Linux (Ubuntu 9.04)
  ami-7a21d213       Windows (with MinGW)

All created in the us-east-1b zone (I don't know if Amazon automatically migrates public AMIs across the world).

After launching the Linux VMs, you login as root (using the ssh keypair you specify when you launch).

After launching the Windows VM, you connect via Remote Desktop and then login as Administrator, password "bitcoin development" (you should change that for your instance as soon as you login, of course).

They contain bitcoin, bitcoind, and everything needed to build them, already built.  You could launch instances and try to generate coins, but that's not cost-effective.

(Updated 22 Feb with 0.3.20.01 Windows AMI)

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
devrandom

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2011, 06:55:51 PM

Gavin,

Did you get a chance to build using the gitian process?  Would be cool to compare hashes.

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2926.20

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/27b7f3b43a3868cd4d4f97e03c35074c2ef12349/contrib/gitian.yml
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary
qt

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2011, 07:13:37 PM

Gavin,

Did you get a chance to build using the gitian process?  Would be cool to compare hashes.

I didn't-- the first "community build" took long enough as it was, and I didn't want to add one more 'different from the way it was done before' variable.

Next release I want to automate some of the manual steps, and maybe use the gitian process, assuming it will work inside an Amazon VM (DO nested virtual machines work?).  Unless anybody feels motivated to step in and do it first; with a verifiable build, anybody can take on the role of build-meister.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
devrandom

Activity: 26

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2011, 11:11:56 PM

Gavin,

I didn't-- the first "community build" took long enough as it was, and I didn't want to add one more 'different from the way it was done before' variable.

Next release I want to automate some of the manual steps, and maybe use the gitian process, assuming it will work inside an Amazon VM (DO nested virtual machines work?).  Unless anybody feels motivated to step in and do it first; with a verifiable build, anybody can take on the role of build-meister.

VM within VM is tricky and I haven't tried it.  Maybe I should add EC2 API support to the gitian tools.
Current-C

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 06:59:14 PM

Ok I tried accessing windows AMI with remote desktop using the ip address(?) as the name of the remote computer (after starting the instance in Amazon) and it wouldn't connect.  Can someone help a non-techie figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary
qt

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2011, 01:11:50 AM

Ok I tried accessing windows AMI with remote desktop using the ip address(?) as the name of the remote computer (after starting the instance in Amazon) and it wouldn't connect.  Can someone help a non-techie figure out what I'm doing wrong?

When you launch your instance, make sure the firewall ("Security Group" in AWS-speak) is setup to allow remote desktop access from your machine's IP address to port 3389.

I run Remote Desktop Client on my Mac, but the process should be the same on PC.

Connect using the "Public DNS" machine name-- something like:   ec2-184-2-91-236.compute-1.amazonaws.com

Login as Administrator, password:    bitcoin development

(I just launched the 0.3.20.2 Windows AMI to get ready to build a 0.3.21 release candidate).

Current-C

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 04:31:16 AM

I was able to run the windows vm (thanks Gavin!) but I'd like to access a linux vm (I'm using Win 7).  I downloaded Penguinet to try and connect with the ssh keypair but I really have no idea what I'm doing.  Can you be more specific about the following:

After launching the Linux VMs, you login as root (using the ssh keypair you specify when you launch).

How do I connect to a Linux vm with my Win 7 machine?
TwistedPair

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 06, 2011, 01:25:21 AM

Are there new EC2 AMI for the latest bitcoin builds?
TwistedPair

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 12:30:45 AM

Are there new EC2 AMI for the latest bitcoin builds?

Anyone? Thanks  Wink
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary
qt

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2011, 01:44:19 AM

0.3.24 Linux/Windows releases weren't built on EC2, but was built on 'gitian' virtual machines (lookup trusted build process here for more info, or get in touch with devrandom).

TwistedPair

View Profile
September 07, 2011, 05:10:02 PM

0.3.24 Linux/Windows releases weren't built on EC2, but was built on 'gitian' virtual machines (lookup trusted build process here for more info, or get in touch with devrandom).

Thanks for your response.

The reason I asked about EC2 is because I couldn't find step-by-step tutorial to build using Gitian (under Win or Linux). Seems like a great idea, but it appears the building steps are spread out across many posts/readmes/webpages so I'm struggling to make sense of it all.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: