Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:14:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: P2P Email  (Read 6699 times)
yurumtin (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 01:37:28 AM

I was wondering if there was an P2P Email technology? If so, could you suggest it (or one of them) to me for investigation. If not, is there a reason why this can't work? Or, is there a reason that one would not want to use such a technology?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12890

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 04:08:30 AM

Email is already peer-to-peer. Using my SMTP server, I can send and receive email to/from anyone without relying on third-parties. I could even send email using telnet if I wanted -- the basic protocol is (unsurprisingly) simple.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2011, 04:37:00 AM

ther is a p2p email program running on i2p, cant remember what its called

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 04:47:03 AM

I agree with theymos.  eMail is already peer-to-peer, since anyone can install a mail server.

However, it's a bit difficult technically, and it's kind of useless if you don't own a fixed IP and a domain name.

yurumtin (OP)

Activity: 15

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 05:11:38 AM

I must disagree, theymos. A P2P system does not have servers. Instead it has a network of nodes that each as as important as any other node. A email server interacts with clients by hosting and/or routing all of the mail for the clients. In order for email to be p2p there would need to be no servers, only a network in which every node hosted a share of the required workload and a share of the disk space. The benefits of this system is that if a single node went down the network could have enough redundancy for there to be no issue. In a server based system like current email if the server goes down then there is no way for the network to function. Of course, storage of messages would need to be encrypted like any P2P storage network.

Thank you, Nefario. I will look into that i2p email program. Perhaps it will be what I am looking for.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2011, 05:35:52 AM

I must disagree, theymos. A P2P system does not have servers. Instead it has a network of nodes that each as as important as any other node. A email server interacts with clients by hosting and/or routing all of the mail for the clients. In order for email to be p2p there would need to be no servers, only a network in which every node hosted a share of the required workload and a share of the disk space. The benefits of this system is that if a single node went down the network could have enough redundancy for there to be no issue. In a server based system like current email if the server goes down then there is no way for the network to function. Of course, storage of messages would need to be encrypted like any P2P storage network.

Thank you, Nefario. I will look into that i2p email program. Perhaps it will be what I am looking for.

The application isi2p bote.

But just on what you said about p2p not having servers is you're wrong. All p2p services, networks whatever work on a client server basis, the difference being that every client also has as  a server, each node can act at any time as both a client and server.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12890

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 08:24:22 AM

A P2P system does not have servers. Instead it has a network of nodes that each as as important as any other node.

Email is perfectly capable of operating in this manner. If everyone ran their own SMTP server, then it would be "fully" P2P. However, most people prefer to use a centralized service. The system is still P2P, though, since it's entirely possible for two people to communicate directly.

In the future most Bitcoin users will transact through MyBitcoin-like services, and running a full network node will require gigabit-speed Internet access. Does that make Bitcoin non-P2P?

In a server based system like current email if the server goes down then there is no way for the network to function.

If one SMTP server goes down, then the rest of the network functions just fine. Mail will even be delivered after the server comes back up, since other peers will keep trying to deliver mail for several days.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
xel

Activity: 20

View Profile
February 20, 2011, 07:16:33 PM

I was wondering if there was an P2P Email technology? If so, could you suggest it (or one of them) to me for investigation. If not, is there a reason why this can't work? Or, is there a reason that one would not want to use such a technology?

FreeMail is an in-freenet mail. Also i2p provides something.
Also there is mixmaster network: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mixmaster/

In either way, use OpenPGP in e-mails (e.g. thunderbird, or kmail)

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2011, 07:23:39 PM

Now, if someone could just come up with a P2P e-mail technology based on a cryptographic reputation system that effectively kept out spammers, but still had appropriate controls on things like robo-mails, mailing lists, and anonymous e-mail users (all of which serve useful purposes when not abused), then we'd have something good.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Quip

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 20, 2011, 07:38:27 PM

The proof-of-work system which Bitcoin mining depends on was originally intended for email. Email can carry any data, so you can just encrypt your messages manually.
Anonymous

February 21, 2011, 01:30:29 AM

I own p2pmail.com if thats worth anything lol

I purchased it when they announced p2pdns   Cheesy
Hal
VIP

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
February 21, 2011, 01:44:14 AM

Now all we need is a proposal to overload the block chain to hold email, and the circle will be complete.

Hal Finney
Anonymous

February 21, 2011, 05:01:38 AM

Now all we need is a proposal to overload the block chain to hold email, and the circle will be complete.

haha I see what you did there.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: