Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:13:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mad as a box of frogs  (Read 3177 times)
WompRat (OP)

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:22:26 PM

There is far too much craziness to post anything sensible today, so I will just post a quote I like about speculators instead.

‘I would like you to imagine a national coin-flipping contest. Let’s assume we get 225 million Americans up tomorrow morning and we ask them all to wager a dollar. They go out in the morning at sunrise and they all call the flip of a coin. If they call correctly, they win a dollar from those who called wrong. Each day the losers drop out and on the subsequent day the stakes build as all previous winnings are put on the line. After ten flips on ten mornings, there will be approximately 20,000 people in the United States who have correctly called ten flips in a row. They each will have won a little over $1,000. Now this group will probably start getting a little puffed up about this - human nature being what it is. They may try to be modest, but at cocktail parties they will occasionally admit to attractive members of the opposite sex what their technique is and what marvelous insights they bring to the field of flipping.

Assuming that the winners are getting the appropriate rewards from the losers, in another ten days we will have 215 people who have successfully called their coin flips 20 times in a row and who, by this exercise. each have turned one dollar into a little over $1 million. $225 million would have been lost, $225 million would have been won. By then this group will really lose their heads. They will probably write books on “How I Turned a Dollar into a Million in Twenty Days Working Thirty Seconds a Morning.” Worse yet, they'll probably start jetting around the country attending seminars on efficient coin-flipping and tackling skeptical professors with, “If it can’t be done, why are there 215 of us?" But then some business school professor will probably be rude enough to bring up the fact that if 225 million orangutans had engaged in a similar exercise the results would be much the same—215 egotistical orangutans with 20 straight winning flips.’

- Warren E. Buffett
NorbyTheGeek

Activity: 201

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:30:31 PM

Brilliant.  Thanks for that.  Cool

Cryptsy:  All new look - USD Trading coming soon!
Learn why Bitcoin is NOT a bubble... | Are you an "expert" bitcoin trader?
BTC: 1NorbyPiNPEFBXJ7GVKsMCkfAW4p8j5cTs | 42: 4KjFuqfESkdXWDHMK8rnaxc84NqMpxu9t8
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 4603

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:38:42 PM

A keeper for sure.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:41:33 PM

Pretty amusing read, thanks OP Smiley

Doesn't really apply to Bitcoin (or any other market) though, right? Sure, there are plenty people that get rich simply by luck, but the Buffett example is that of a coin -- presumably a provably fair coin, meaning there is nothing to predict about tossing that coin besides the fact that either outcome is equally likely.

That's hardly what happens in markets. Why would human behavior, guided by (depending on your philosophical assumptions) free will or quasi-deterministic processes suddenly become completely random just because it is group behavior rather than that of one individual. Sure, there's some noise and randomness, but almost certainly not to the point where there is no prediction possible.

Meh. Unnecessary rant, I guess. After all, this is the speculation subforum. Surely noone here thinks the market is nothing but a coin toss.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
NorbyTheGeek

Activity: 201

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:48:24 PM

Doesn't really apply to Bitcoin (or any other market) though, right? Sure, there are plenty people that get rich simply by luck, but the Buffett example is that of a coin -- presumably a provably fair coin, meaning there is nothing to predict about tossing that coin besides the fact that either outcome is equally likely.
I think the point is that some self-proclaimed "experts" get lucky and profit based on their whims rather than any real market research or logic.  But they certainly think their strategy is sound because it's worked so far.

Cryptsy:  All new look - USD Trading coming soon!
Learn why Bitcoin is NOT a bubble... | Are you an "expert" bitcoin trader?
BTC: 1NorbyPiNPEFBXJ7GVKsMCkfAW4p8j5cTs | 42: 4KjFuqfESkdXWDHMK8rnaxc84NqMpxu9t8
amencon

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:48:55 PM

That's hardly what happens in markets. Why would human behavior, guided by (depending on your philosophical assumptions) free will or quasi-deterministic processes suddenly become completely random just because it is group behavior rather than that of one individual. Sure, there's some noise and randomness, but almost certainly not to the point where there is no prediction possible.

Meh. Unnecessary rant, I guess. After all, this is the speculation subforum. Surely noone here thinks the market is nothing but a coin toss.
I'd be willing to bet that for most speculators here there is sufficient complexity and number of variables to render their predictions about as accurate as guessing coin flips.
I_bitcoin

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:50:29 PM

This is also a great quote for those who claim to predict the future value of stocks and sell their advice.

No matter where you go, there you are.
elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:51:40 PM

I agree, no one can tell the outcome of a coinflip just like no one can firmly predict bitcoin and for those who win there will always ve loosers
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:55:25 PM

This is also a great quote for those who claim to predict the future value of stocks and sell their advice.

Wait , you're not interested in buying a book on how to win 10 millions on forex? I'm trying to sell it for 10$ instead of gaining myself 10 millions with my knowledge.
=))))

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:57:31 PM

Pretty amusing read, thanks OP :)

I'd be willing to bet that for most speculators here there is sufficient complexity and number of variables to render their predictions about as accurate as guessing coin flips.

Agreed. But the fact that there is only 1 competent brain surgeon among 1000s of people doesn't make brain surgery any less of a well-founded method.

There difference is though, I agree, that trading allows delusion to thrive :D

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:06:30 PM

chaos theory FTW
the_sunship

Activity: 230

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:22:13 PM

enjoyable post, which reminds me once again not to flip my coins anymore - just buy and hold them.

thank you!
wizby

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:23:14 PM

going furthermore in to conspiracy... Grin

but what about gravity forces of so much coin flipping in itself? Cool can it flip the world? Roll Eyes or shake it a bit for some amusement for others?
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:43:00 PM

Only that speculation isn't a coinflip. If you want to make an analogy with a zero sum game it's more like poker.
It is a game of chance but skill moves the chances in favor or against you. That's why it takes time to make profit or to lose. (Of course you need your bankroll to be enough to deal with variance). But who am i to argue with Buffett  Tongue
jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:49:50 PM

There's nothing wrong with taking the other side of the bet ... :p

When the 20x head flipper shows up ... bet on tails. Psychology will take care of the rest.

And never bet everything, either way.

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:49:28 PM

When the 20x head flipper shows up ... bet on tails. Psychology will take care of the rest.

Unfortunately a coin doesn't have any feelings or memory or anything else besides 50% chance for either heads or tails.
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 09:02:53 PM

There is far too much craziness to post anything sensible today, so I will just post a quote I like about speculators instead.

‘I would like you to imagine a national coin-flipping contest. Let’s assume we get 225 million Americans up tomorrow morning and we ask them all to wager a dollar. They go out in the morning at sunrise and they all call the flip of a coin. If they call correctly, they win a dollar from those who called wrong. Each day the losers drop out and on the subsequent day the stakes build as all previous winnings are put on the line. After ten flips on ten mornings, there will be approximately 20,000 people in the United States who have correctly called ten flips in a row. They each will have won a little over $1,000. Now this group will probably start getting a little puffed up about this - human nature being what it is. They may try to be modest, but at cocktail parties they will occasionally admit to attractive members of the opposite sex what their technique is and what marvelous insights they bring to the field of flipping.

Assuming that the winners are getting the appropriate rewards from the losers, in another ten days we will have 215 people who have successfully called their coin flips 20 times in a row and who, by this exercise. each have turned one dollar into a little over $1 million. $225 million would have been lost, $225 million would have been won. By then this group will really lose their heads. They will probably write books on “How I Turned a Dollar into a Million in Twenty Days Working Thirty Seconds a Morning.” Worse yet, they'll probably start jetting around the country attending seminars on efficient coin-flipping and tackling skeptical professors with, “If it can’t be done, why are there 215 of us?" But then some business school professor will probably be rude enough to bring up the fact that if 225 million orangutans had engaged in a similar exercise the results would be much the same—215 egotistical orangutans with 20 straight winning flips.’

- Warren E. Buffett

Ahh Warren Buffet, the king of Buy and Hold.

joshv06

Activity: 991
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 09:08:13 PM

Good stuff. A lot of "I told you so"' going around. It gets old. Suddenly, when BTC crashes, all the amazing speculators that we previously mumbling and talking at the side of their mouths come out yelling.

D A I L Y -  C R Y P T O  -  G I V E W A Y S
▬▬ ●●     Your source for daily free giveaways !    ●● ▬▬
DISCORD    -    TWITTER    -    WEBSITE
amencon

Activity: 410

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 09:21:11 PM

Agreed. But the fact that there is only 1 competent brain surgeon among 1000s of people doesn't make brain surgery any less of a well-founded method.

There difference is though, I agree, that trading allows delusion to thrive Cheesy
True enough I suppose.  I don't know enough to refute that some players have strategies that will garner statistically positive alpha, only that I haven't seen any obvious examples to date.
jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 10:18:51 PM

Unfortunately a coin doesn't have any feelings or memory or anything else besides 50% chance for either heads or tails.

Exactly, the fact that everyone is "betting heads" makes betting tails a "outsized" bet, even though the underlying probability says otherwise. Aka reverse gambler's fallacy. Probability is one thing, risk:reward is something different.

Part of "buy low, sell high" is looking like an idiot for more time than you can imagine.

That said, the analogy doesn't apply that well because markets are not purely stochastic, but processes with memory.

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: