Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:27:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Litecoin Mining - setting up issues  (Read 2382 times)
c00kie (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:23:30 PM

Hey Guys,

I'm just getting into mining and have setup with some r9 280x with my computer. It worked fine the first night and was giving me the default un-tweaked approx 650 kh/s. Today for some reason my cgminer keeps crashing, while the amd reports that the display driver has stopped working and has recovered. I tried different setting with overclocking it and setting it back to the same default settings but this problem continues to persist.

Any experienced mining pros know of a solution to this or a possible reason why this could be happening? I could really use some help getting this setup well. I am well versed with setting up computers and graphics cards and all but just can't seem to figure whats going wrong with this!

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
c00kie (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:46:23 PM

So I tried running cgminer with my individual cards, have 2 and had previously been crossfired, but now one of the card consistently crashes while one of them keeps running fine. How could they have separate problems when they are both the exact same cards run with the exact same config...
Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 06:51:41 PM

So I tried running cgminer with my individual cards, have 2 and had previously been crossfired, but now one of the card consistently crashes while one of them keeps running fine. How could they have separate problems when they are both the exact same cards run with the exact same config...

Check if there is enough space between them. Alternatively, you can open out the cabinet and point a table fan towards them and magic happens Smiley

bigendian

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 04:58:17 PM

Yea I faced the same problem while setting up. My temps for the cards were going too high so i ripped apart my cabinet and just made an open rig with a lot of fans, like how Benson said! So now my setup is well aired and keeps the temps as low as 70-75C.

Benson - I have another issue now though. The cards all mine well with good hashrates but only do so for a stretch of about 30-40 mins... cgminer just persistently keeps crashing at some point. I'm getting cgwatcher but I was hoping to solve this problem since I don't think this is a sustainable solution. I have setup with Sapphire Dual-X R9 280x... Thanks.
Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 06:14:27 PM

Yea I faced the same problem while setting up. My temps for the cards were going too high so i ripped apart my cabinet and just made an open rig with a lot of fans, like how Benson said! So now my setup is well aired and keeps the temps as low as 70-75C.

Benson - I have another issue now though. The cards all mine well with good hashrates but only do so for a stretch of about 30-40 mins... cgminer just persistently keeps crashing at some point. I'm getting cgwatcher but I was hoping to solve this problem since I don't think this is a sustainable solution. I have setup with Sapphire Dual-X R9 280x... Thanks.

You need to tweak it till you get the best and optimal settings. If it crashes at some point then there is some memory leak, overheating or some crap like that.

You can even doubt the integrity of the hardware on occasion.

Pinwheel

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 02:09:48 AM

try this fork
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150331.0

Tom Waits: We should just start as soon as possible cause we might catch a rabbit before we have our pants on. (Juxtapoz)
Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 05:56:47 AM

There seems to be some problem with downloading guiminer-scrypt.
Version 3.7.2 and below of cgminer supports the --scrypt flag.

bigendian

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 06:18:42 AM

Yea some people on that thread too show some problems with that fork. Also, I'm not sure what the difference is between this specific fork of guiminer and the original guiminer. I used that in the beginning but switched to cgminer itself as that was yielding higher rates.

I have currently set up the cgwatcher, which surprisingly works well but I don't want to stick to this.

Also found this thread (for others looking at 280x configs) - https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=7534.0 ...so I'm going to use that to adjust my setting till I find a good one that doesn't crash. Let's see if I ever find it!
bigendian

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 06:51:05 PM

So I have been tweaking and tweaking and got the fan speed and everything at really good levels and everything seems fine then again after 40 mins or so it crashes... I just can't seem to pin point what is causing this. Maybe I'm missing a driver or something?! I think my configs for the cards and temps are all fine!

Here is what I'm currently using:
cgminer --scrypt -o http://ltc.give-me-coins.com:80 -u username.worker1 -p x --lookup-gap 2 --thread-concurrency 8192 -g 2 -I 13 -w 256 --gpu-memclock 1500 --gpu-engine 1080 --gpu-powertune 0 --expiry 1 --scan-time 1 --queue 0 --no-submit-stale --auto-fan

please help... !

You need to tweak it till you get the best and optimal settings. If it crashes at some point then there is some memory leak, overheating or some crap like that.

Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 02:18:22 AM

So I have been tweaking and tweaking and got the fan speed and everything at really good levels and everything seems fine then again after 40 mins or so it crashes... I just can't seem to pin point what is causing this. Maybe I'm missing a driver or something?! I think my configs for the cards and temps are all fine!

cgminer --scrypt -o http://ltc.give-me-coins.com:80 -u username.worker1 -p x --lookup-gap 2 --thread-concurrency 8192 -g 2 -I 13 -w 256 --gpu-memclock 1500 --gpu-engine 1080 --gpu-powertune 0 --expiry 1 --scan-time 1 --queue 0 --no-submit-stale --auto-fan

please help... !

If it crashes, you are gradually heating up. Check if there are any wires inside the computer which are blocking the fan. Also remove all command line commands and try from there by adding one by one.
The first time setup will always take a bit of time.

Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 05:51:46 AM

well the main card always crash because of dvi output to the monitor , if you have two gpus one always hangs and crash while other works fine.You have to lower the setting for gpu 1 while you can push the gpu 2.
bigendian

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:28:47 AM

please help... !

If it crashes, you are gradually heating up. Check if there are any wires inside the computer which are blocking the fan. Also remove all command line commands and try from there by adding one by one.
The first time setup will always take a bit of time.

Yea I did just that! Thanks! It is currently working constantly, given that its at a lower hash rate but it is still working fine. Will keep tweaking setting one by one till I push it to the limit.
bigendian

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 10:36:07 AM

well the main card always crash because of dvi output to the monitor , if you have two gpus one always hangs and crash while other works fine.You have to lower the setting for gpu 1 while you can push the gpu 2.

Yea I thought it would be some problem relating to that too, how the system is using my gpus, or not using them. I ended up reinstalling my windows so that seemed to fix some issues too.

You are saying that the problem is when Im pushing settings for the one im using to display, whereas I should be doing that with the one im not using to display?

Along those lines, I am thinking of just not having any displays with it and setting it up as a separate rig, maybe with RDP so I can SSH into it remotely but otherwise should be running without monitor. Do you know what's the best way of achieving that?

I was thinking of setting up dvi adapters and shorting them so the cards think that there is a connection active with each of thembut it is not actualy connected to any monitor, so it keeps both of them running with same level. Is it better to just not have them actually connected to any monitor and just push them instead?
bigendian

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:45:53 AM

Any one know about power to cards support?! How many cards can I add to my current setup!

Here are my specs:
processor: intel 2600k
mobo: Asus p8z77v
ram: corsair 4gb
graphics cards: R9 280x (x6)
psu: ax1200i

I am currently only running 3 of my cards but am getting pci-e riser cables 1x-16x so I can connect more. I don't know how many I would be able to add to this setup or require to setup another rig for more.
bigendian

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 07:06:10 PM

So everything was going well and for some reason my rig stopped working. With some deliberate problem debugging it turns out that one of the two cards just shorts or something that prevents my entire mobo from starting. When testing individually one of the cards works perfectly fine while the other in the exact same scenarios just doesn't let my system startup. It just sort of clicks (makes that jumpstarting sound) and then nothing starts...

Any help with what may be the reason for this?
Benson Samuel
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 02:32:12 AM

So everything was going well and for some reason my rig stopped working. With some deliberate problem debugging it turns out that one of the two cards just shorts or something that prevents my entire mobo from starting. When testing individually one of the cards works perfectly fine while the other in the exact same scenarios just doesn't let my system startup. It just sort of clicks (makes that jumpstarting sound) and then nothing starts...

Any help with what may be the reason for this?

get  card replaced, it could be the easiest way to test if there is a problem with the card itself.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: