Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:45:03 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Satoshi has how many Bitcoins?  (Read 8700 times)
ThePanCakeKid95 (OP)

Activity: 418
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:41:22 AM

that's true, or it could be the wallet was encrypted and the fbi honestly has no way to get to the funds and as a result the coins basically die Sad
ThePanCakeKid95 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:56:26 AM

yea your right there are a lot of possibilities, personally I'd love to know what they did with them :/
nowise

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 02:55:38 AM

I mined early on as well.  Was generating 50btc every other day on a macbook pro in late 2009, and expanded with a dedicated video card setup a little too late.  I've seen all the ups and downs.  I have also spent many coins in the past to acquire things for my life that helped it improve.  I still have some, and I carry no regrets about decisions of the past in selling (I'm talking about selling lots at $3 each).  When I started they where worth $0.15 each.

There was an article that a wheel chair bound comp sci professor wrote that was published in maybe Wired?!?! <-- help would be nice

He went on about working with Santoshi early on and taking part in the startup of the block chain (it was restarted quite a few times because of bugs etc.), he contributed code and was there when it went it took off.  He said he's left all his early coins in trust to his kids.  He said that he never met Santoshi but communicated with him via email often.

I think the estimates for what he holds land around 40% of current and 15% of future total (or more).

peace
ThePanCakeKid95 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:14:53 AM

wow that very incredible, thank you also for sharing your story, I love hearing things like this, and that's crazy about the computer science professor, I would love to know his name too Smiley
ThePanCakeKid95 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:17:24 AM

Also could you expand on what you mean by the blockchain was restarted?
nowise

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:35:20 AM

Also could you expand on what you mean by the blockchain was restarted?

The first time you write a program, maybe, "hello world," it never works the first time you run it... it needs some tweaking!  Same thing with building a server/client based protocol.  The first few times it runs, it isn't right.  So you change it, and it works better, until it doesn't.  Then you change it again and start it back up... eventually it works good enough that it can be set sailed into the public... to be improved more.

Ask more detailed questions if you want more detailed answers.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 04:30:02 AM

1) Ulbricht might have made a deal to transfer the coins into some sort of escrow (perhaps a split-key controlled by the FBI and his lawyer).

Ullbricht is still claiming that he is not the real DPR. So why he should make a deal to transfer the DPR Bitcoins?
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 05:23:10 AM

There is no BTC wallet with 980K coins. The richest wallet contains 144,341 BTCs and is tagged as DPR Seized Coins.

You don't know that. Wallets can contain any number of keys, and you would have no way of knowing how many coins are in it.

Buy & Hold
Jaagu

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:10:32 PM

wow that very incredible, thank you also for sharing your story, I love hearing things like this, and that's crazy about the computer science professor, I would love to know his name too Smiley

Read from here:
Bitcoin and me (Hal Finney)
ThePanCakeKid95 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 02:17:04 PM

Yes, I would love to know way more and in more depth about how the block chain was tested and then retested and then finally we get to the one present today Smiley
ThePanCakeKid95 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 05:27:35 PM

anyone have stories about satoshi?
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 05:42:00 PM

Why do you assume that the bitcoins are "the DPR Bitcoins"?

It's not me who is assuming. It is already flagged as "DPR seized wallet", which means that the BTC community think it is indeed the DPR wallet.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 05:49:25 PM

I remember talking with him in email when he announced stuff to the crypto list way back in the way back.  He was very intense, in a way you started to realize only slowly.  If you explained a problem, he'd shut up and listen, then work night and day to fix it.  If you *told* him there was a problem, but didn't explain it, he'd badger you until you broke it down and made it exactly clear what you were on about.  Then you wouldn't hear 'boo' from him until it was fixed.  

Sometimes I remember thinking he didn't ever sleep if there was work to be done on the code; he didn't seem to have anything like a schedule other than 24/7 when working on code -- he was as likely to be online at any hour of the day or night as at any other, but wouldn't stay in contact for more than about 30 seconds.  But if there wasn't work to do on code (or if he was talking about the code or trying to get feedback) he seemed most active early in the morning (US/Pacific time). I have no idea if that was 'morning' wherever he was.

I have source code for the original Bitcoin client and miner, from November 2008.  in a RAR archive, if you can believe it.  RAR is obscure now.  Hell, it was obscure in 2008.  Nobody but an olde-skool dyed-in-the-wool download geek from way back in the 1980s would be all that likely to use it, and the number of people who'd even heard of it was dwindling fast by that point.

No RPC, no UPNP, no QT, barely any use of Boost.  It's just two files of C++ code.

I can confirm that the blockchain restarted several times while the kinks were getting worked out. The original code  has a different 'genesis block' hash.
ThePanCakeKid95 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 06:50:00 PM

wow that is so incredible, it must be awesome to know you got to send him emails Smiley I wonder if he's reading these very messages about us talking about him :0 but again thank you it was a very interesting story to read about and you gave some perspective as to the fact he must be at least around 30 or older if he was using a rare obscure file format like that 
Cryddit
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:18:20 PM

No.  The chain that started on January 9 2009 is the chain that is still active.

But there were several blockchains that started on earlier dates with different Genesis Blocks, in November and December of 2008 - each of which ended when it became clear that the protocol needed a fix and the fix couldn't happen leaving the early blocks valid.

This is why we have a 'testnet' now.  

ThePanCakeKid95 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:26:06 PM

yea me too, I'm also very very curious !!
Cryddit
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:05:32 PM

I only ever saw it in email, on three different cryptography lists.  Metzdowd, Cypherpunks, and one that's no longer funct. I heard that some people talked to him on IRC a few times but I never did.
ThePanCakeKid95 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:13:58 PM

that's crazy, it really just expands the whole mystery of satoshi
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 01:12:49 AM

Yes, "the BTC community", whatever that means, has jumped to the conclusion that Ulbricht = DPR, essentially just on the fact that the FBI has alleged this. I don't consider that to have been proven yet, though.

But the FBI also seized falsified identification documents from him (such as driver's license and SSN). Do you still believe that DPR is someone other than Ulbricht?
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:39:18 AM

Prediction: In 2014 or 2015... Satoshi cashes out all of his bitcoins, making him the world's first trillionaire driving the price of BTCs back to single digits

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████