Bitcoin Forum
July 09, 2024, 02:42:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how cold is too cold?  (Read 528 times)
rffr (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 11:28:13 PM

hi all.  im new and looking to dip into the bitcoin pool.  ive recently ordered parts to setup an entry level rig.  im not trying to get rich, just want to earn a few coins and see what happens. 

im setting up a ASICminer block eruptor blade.  ive got the electricity and internet part figured out.  i will be keeping the rig in a garage and while the ambient temperature stays around 60F, ive had thoughts of taking advantage of this winter and may pipe in some sub-freezing air.  i know computers like to stay cold, but how cold is "too cold"?  will keeping it this cold help with performance?  will it damage my blade? 

any insight will be helpful

thanks guys

klovishey

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

Selling Coupons Babie

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 11:37:03 PM

i know computers like to stay cold, but how cold is "too cold"?  will keeping it this cold help with performance?  will it damage my blade? 

Just dont go under 5C or the condensation may start
rffr (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 03:13:04 AM

thanks for the advice on the condensation.... but theoretically if you could achieve 0 humidity, then the colder the better?
Itun

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:37:29 AM

thanks for the advice on the condensation.... but theoretically if you could achieve 0 humidity, then the colder the better?

I think so.

Your miners are going to get HOT so it would be good to do what you suggested.
rffr (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:59:31 PM

Itun.  i hadnt thought about the condensation, but since it was mentioned i dont think i want any moisture developing on my rig.  winter temperatures might be ideal if there were no humidity to form condensation.
DarkKnight

Activity: 178

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 12:24:37 AM

When you get your rigs close to freezing temps, the way the electronics behave is a little different. Many of the parts values will change drastically with a significant temperature swing. When I've seen people using sub zero cooling on their CPUs they will usually use a mini heater around the CPU slug to keep the board warm and avoid condensation. Some motherboards that are built for extreme temps like this feature a "sub-zero" mode, to help compensate for the change in values of the electronics.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: