Bitcoin Forum
June 06, 2024, 11:49:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When miht it be good to have gigbit internet for BTC ?  (Read 922 times)
MoreBloodWine (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 11:49:11 PM

Right now I have just regular DSL, but am ontemplating ADLS2+ / giigbit internet. I am curious though, when might a gigbit connection be good for BTC mining. Like if someone is just doing say 100Ghs or w/e, regular internet might be fine. But if say someones doing 600Ghs then gigabit might be sugested.

Hope I made sens, Ty.

To be decided...
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 01:08:44 AM

I hear ya. You are running a full node and you wonder at what level of economic activity on the the Bitcoin network will your bandwidth requirements force you to upgrade to higher bandwidth. Clearly the late stage evolution of all crypto currencies is to centralize in pockets around cheap, wide bandwidth, as well as cheap electricity. If keeping up with blocks now is your concern, you need to ensure you can pull 0.1 megabyte (0.8 megabits) per minute (~15 kilobits/sec) through your connection. If you are using a 14.4 kilobaud modem from 1994, you probably are gonna have trouble doing that now; but a modern 56k modem from 1998 might work just fine Smiley

Seriously though, bandwidth requirement right now is fixed by the 1 MB/block safety limit. It shouldn't trouble your connection too much!

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
MoreBloodWine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 01:14:40 AM

So as of right now, at least, a regular non gigbit (10/100) connetion should be just fine ?

I didn't have any real concern behind the original question cause my operation right now is sort of laughable compared to a lot of others, I was just curious because the more hashing power you have the more data you have coming in and out. Hence the, at which point might a gigabit connection be reccomended.

To be decided...
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 02:33:03 AM

So as of right now, at least, a regular non gigbit (10/100) connetion should be just fine ?

I didn't have any real concern behind the original question cause my operation right now is sort of laughable compared to a lot of others, I was just curious because the more hashing power you have the more data you have coming in and out. Hence the, at which point might a gigabit connection be reccomended.

You seem to be asking a mining question. The answer is simple. Chances are you can't afford enough mining equipment to outpace your internet connection for the foreseeable future. Internet connection speeds for your area will likely stay ahead of your ability to install new mining equipment. ADSL is a fast enough connection to run just about every jalapeño ever shipped from one house because getwork only makes a small request every second. Just don't try to run a full node while your mining.

MoreBloodWine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 02:37:24 AM

You seem to be asking a mining question. The answer is simple. Chances are you can't afford enough mining equipment to outpace your internet connection for the foreseeable future. Internet connection speeds for your area will likely stay ahead of your ability to install new mining equipment. ADSL is a fast enough connection to run just about every jalapeño ever shipped from one house because getwork only makes a small request every second. Just don't try to run a full node while your mining.
I have 600Ghs coming soon and plan on upping to 1Ths at some point and continuing to increase over time. So please don't assume what I can or cannot afford. The question was very simple and doesn't seem to have been answered yet since what I specifcally asked was at what point might a gigbit internet connection be required in terms of hashrate since the higher the hash the more data you have coming and going.

So, if someone can put a realistic number on this that would be great.

Ex. I would think that once you hit the 2.5Th mark that you might wana start thinking about gettin a gigabit connection.

Also, getworked is being phased out for stratum from what I hear but I dont pretend to know anything about stratum let alone getwork. I don't plan on hosting a node for the good it bitcoin, so as you said yes, this is about mining.

To be decided...
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 02:45:48 AM

I have 600Ghs coming soon and plan on upping to 1Ths at some point and continuing to increase over time. So please don't assume what I can or cannot afford. The question was very simple and doesn't seem to have been answered yet since what I specifcally asked was at what point might a gigbit internet connection be required in terms of hashrate since the higher the hash the more data you have coming and going.

So, if someone can put a realistic number on this that would be great.

Ex. I would think that once you hit the 2.5Th mark that you might wana start thinking about gettin a gigabit connection.

Also, getworked is being phased out for stratum from what I hear but I dont pretend to know anything about stratum let alone getwork. I don't plan on hosting a node for the good it bitcoin, so as you said yes, this is about mining.

Even stratum doesn't use a lot of bandwidth. You should be fine at 2.5Th. I have a question though. With a 500 gh/s Bitcoin miner costing about $22,000, why would you not just buy Bitcoins? You could make a killing just investing the money.

MoreBloodWine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 03:15:19 AM

Even stratum doesn't use a lot of bandwidth.
Like I said I don't know alot about startum or getwork but that is good to know.

You should be fine at 2.5Th.
Good to know but I wouldn't be anywhere near that for a while.

Like I said when I mentioned 2.5Th it was an example. I am still curious though that ragardless of whether it's now or 10 years from now at what hash rate might one look at gigabit internet. I assume from whats been said so farr that it would be more of a business thing running in the Ph.

I have a question though. With a 500 gh/s Bitcoin miner costing about $22,000, why would you not just buy Bitcoins? You could make a killing just investing the money.
Part of that is the whole bubble thing, dont know what will happen at any given point. I'd rather mine he BTC and then spend out of that whatever I have to for whatever I want. If the bubble grows I gain more value for what I have mined. If the bubble pops well you have the opposite. I just feel mining for me any way is better than playing the market with buying direct.

To be decided...
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 04:03:48 AM

Even stratum doesn't use a lot of bandwidth.
Like I said I don't know alot about startum or getwork but that is good to know.

You should be fine at 2.5Th.
Good to know but I wouldn't be anywhere near that for a while.

Like I said when I mentioned 2.5Th it was an example. I am still curious though that ragardless of whether it's now or 10 years from now at what hash rate might one look at gigabit internet. I assume from whats been said so farr that it would be more of a business thing running in the Ph.

I have a question though. With a 500 gh/s Bitcoin miner costing about $22,000, why would you not just buy Bitcoins? You could make a killing just investing the money.
Part of that is the whole bubble thing, dont know what will happen at any given point. I'd rather mine he BTC and then spend out of that whatever I have to for whatever I want. If the bubble grows I gain more value for what I have mined. If the bubble pops well you have the opposite. I just feel mining for me any way is better than playing the market with buying direct.

You should probably look into the ROI debates before you buy any mining equipment (especially expensive high gh/s stuff). Most of the data I've seen clearly point to buying coin as more profitable. Part of the reason many people consider BFL labs as a scam isn't because they aren't delivering but because of all the money that was lost in btc/$ increases since people ordered their equipment. It doesn't matter if that's an invalid argument people still feel cheated. It won't be too long until there will be so many TH of miners working that no individuals could possibly profit from it and businesses will mine to keep the network alive. Anyway, do some more research in the mining sub forum before you order too much equipment. Cheers

MoreBloodWine (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 04:14:13 AM

My investment right now now is less than 2 grand so it's not as big of a gamble hence my stance even though yes I could go belly up still.

Edit: Just checked my excel sheet, I'm all in right now at $2,225 for 600Ghs but that includes money for other mining stuff. The atual equpment costs were $1,912.

To be decided...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: