Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:17:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Government Attack Strategy  (Read 1523 times)
db8393 (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 10:00:40 AM

I keep thinking it might be in the best interest of some large Central Bankers to try and destabilize bitcoin currency.

For example, the  bank starts printing lots of money and trading it for Bitcoins.  On the short term people trust the central bank currency and happily trade away their Bitcoins.  Then the bank destroys large volumes of bitcoins.  If people depended on stable currency (little deflation or inflation) wouldnt a valid attack be deflation? 

If this is a valid attack what happens in the source code to stabilize the currency in this situation?

I guess wild fluctuations in bitcoin price would cause crazy tulip bubbles right? You might have people getting a second mortgages to buy ATI video cards etc.    Or all of a sudden you are rich and others are poor and mad due to bad timing of a trade.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 10:18:59 AM

If this is a valid attack what happens in the source code to stabilize the currency in this situation?

The source code does nothing about this!

If someone sells their bitcoins to the central bank because they prefer fiat currency to bitcoins, it's not my problem. And if the bank destroys those bitcoins, it's also not a problem for me.

Bitcoin is not for those who have drunk the "deflation is evil" Kool-Aid.
db8393 (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 10:27:37 AM

Doesnt it become a problem if you have trouble getting any coins because large central banks are buying them up?  Then yes, miners get rich.  But people cant use the currency.

If you cant get your hands on Bitcoins because Central banks are throwing them away, how do you use it?
db8393 (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 10:40:26 AM

Yeah, I guess I was thinking that wild fluctuations in Bitcoin value would mess everybody up.  But I think I am over thinking things.  It would probably cause more people to get in on the wild rise in value of bitcoins.   

I will put away the deflation kool-aid also.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
February 19, 2011, 10:55:21 AM

If you cant get your hands on Bitcoins because Central banks are throwing them away...

If a central bank did start destroying bitcoins, you wouldn't need to get your hands on so many bitcoins (to get the same spending power).

If a central bank or other organization wants to harm bitcoin, they will need to do it in ways other than by market forces. For example, by spreading a virus that steals people's wallets.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 20, 2011, 09:17:18 AM

For example, by spreading a virus that steals people's wallets.

Tolsi is a virus from a central bank plot?

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2011, 10:14:17 AM

This is one of the last things the authorites would do to stop bitcoin. Banning the protocol and bootstrap servers, while at the same time shutting down all the exchanges and arresting all the exchange operators would be much more effective.

That would cut down bitcoin usage to a fraction of it's normal level.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2011, 10:33:13 AM

Enforcing a port-block would trip things up for at least a day, until we organized a change of ports, during which time they could finalize the rest of the protocol ban, and do some door-kicking. that would probably hurt things a lot until it got set back up as a .onion service or on i2p. Even then, that's another barrier to entry, which would reduce the amount of "casual" users of bitcoins, and probably kill it's chances of mainstream support.

On the other hand, drug dealers, gun-runners, and other people who'd rather not attract the attention of governments would flock to bitcoin in even larger numbers, and bitcoin would then become the official currency of the black market. It's value (well, cost, due to the risk involved) in local currencies would skyrocket, allowing even those with a few coins to make a killing on their way out of bitcoin, freeing up more coins to run the underground trade. Bitcoin banking and exchange would become a very lucrative trade, for those willing to take the risk, and there always are, no matter the risk, some willing to take it, if the price is high enough.

So, in conclusion, the WORST thing they could do (from their point of view) is make it illegal and try to squash it. Either way, I think B-T-C spells doom for fiat currencies. It's just a matter of how fast and how rough the ride is.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2011, 11:00:58 AM

The convienience thing could be taken care of by distributing the client with i2p or tor, kind of like the tor bundle, which is really great. So yeah, unless that became a kind of default MO for bitcoun client such a thing would hurt, a lot.

So we really dont need to worry about them trying to disrupt our market with swings, thry'll be kicking down doors long before then.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: