Bitcoin Forum
December 04, 2016, 04:32:49 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Issue detecting 2nd GPU on Linux Miner  (Read 983 times)
MinerNiner

Activity: 3

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 04:06:04 PM

Hello,

I had my rig setup and working successfully with two 5830's running on Ubuntu mostly following the Natty Narwhal Mining Guide http://bitcointalk.org/?topic=7514.0. I was getting close to 285 mh/s per GPU and seeming like things were going smooth. Following a sudden power outage in the house, I've been having difficulty getting the second card to be fully detected or mine.

Both cards work independently if I place them in the 1st PCIe slot, but neither work if in the 2nd.

lspci | grep VGA detects the following:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 5800 Series (Cypress LE)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 5800 Series (Cypress LE)

aticonfig --list-adapters detects the following:
* 0. 01:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
  1. 02:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

* - Default adapter

Yet aticonfig --odgt --adapter=all only works on the first GPU:
Adapter 0 - ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
            Sensor 0: Temperature - 76.00 C
ERROR - Get temperature failed for Adapter 1 - ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

And when I try to use -d 2 for poclbm to start mining I get the following:
No device specified or device not found, use -d to specify one of the following

•      AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor
  • [1]     Cypress
Any suggestions on how to resolve or ways to confirm it is / is not a hardware issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
Anonymailer
aka BitBacco

Activity: 654

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 06:34:14 PM

as it followed a power outage, i recommend swapping the cards around and seeing whether it's the card or the second slot that's the problem.

MacMiner - The first, best and easiest to use native Mac coin mining app: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=197110.0

BTC: 12vZf8mjaXvHorXWVWfv7nZspHa8L8kfoG LTC: LLRqwo3YcLqoRyfZRVmUevtd2Y35Vvnt4w
MinerNiner

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 06:50:28 PM

as it followed a power outage, i recommend swapping the cards around and seeing whether it's the card or the second slot that's the problem.

I have done so and both cards work in the first slot. What I (and the few of the people in the ArsBitCoinPool IRC) found strange is that the basic detections show the second slot and the video card in it - but specific actions like get / set the fanspeed generate the errors.
bcforum

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 06:57:01 PM

Does youre xorg.conf file list both adapters? I think the command is "aticonfig --initial --adapter=all" to create a default xorg.conf file.

If you found this post useful, feel free to share the wealth: 1E35gTBmJzPNJ3v72DX4wu4YtvHTWqNRbM
MinerNiner

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 02:15:08 AM

Does youre xorg.conf file list both adapters? I think the command is "aticonfig --initial --adapter=all" to create a default xorg.conf file.

Indirectly, this did help me solve my problem. There were a number of different xorg.conf files in the /etc/X11/ folder and after removing them, re-creating a new one and rebooting it is now operational again. Another issue that I noticed in swapping the cards was that two of the wires from the motherboard were bumping up against the fan of the second GPU which could have led to a long-term problem down the road.

Thanks for help all!
bcforum

Activity: 140

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 03:39:04 AM

aticonfig creates a backup copy every time it runs, only 'xorg.conf' exactly is important.

Good catch on the wire, I had that problem and it showed up as abnormally high temps on one adapter.

You might also enjoy: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33550.msg419241#msg419241

If you found this post useful, feel free to share the wealth: 1E35gTBmJzPNJ3v72DX4wu4YtvHTWqNRbM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.