Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:16:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best platform for CPU mining?  (Read 914 times)
murderouskirk (OP)

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:32:45 AM

Hey all,

I've got an old macbook that's being used as a coaster. I decided to add it as a worker for mining alt coins. As it turns out MAC is freaking awful for mining I can't even get it running. So as a result I decided to reformat my macbook to windows. My question is as long as I'm formatting it how can I st it up to be the best possible platform for CPU mining? Would linux be better? Is there anything in particular I can do to increase mining when the machine is purely a miner?

Thanks!
AngryOrchard

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:36:07 AM

i would look into the ubuntu.
murderouskirk (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:51:25 AM

i would look into the ubuntu.

Good point ubuntu is probably a lot less cpu intensive than windows.
Gersen

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 08:30:54 AM

I use Ubuntu and Debian and Arch Linux to mine.  There are some advantages to using Windows: better video drivers and more tools to tweak your video card.  So if you want to squeeze out every last Hash per second, then use Windows.  The advantages of linux is that it's more stable and secure.  Also, Linux is available for Raspberry Pi.
murderouskirk (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 09:18:50 AM

I use Ubuntu and Debian and Arch Linux to mine.  There are some advantages to using Windows: better video drivers and more tools to tweak your video card.  So if you want to squeeze out every last Hash per second, then use Windows.  The advantages of linux is that it's more stable and secure.  Also, Linux is available for Raspberry Pi.

I'm only doing CPU mining so I can't really tweak my video card. Do you think windows is still the better choice?
CounterStrike

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 09:49:29 AM

I'm only doing CPU mining so I can't really tweak my video card. Do you think windows is still the better choice?

Window is good but you might get random blue screen once in a while...
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 09:51:53 AM

If you are CPU mining, you will not need to tweak your GPU.
Sparky_eMunie

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 11:38:11 AM

CPU mining on a Macbook makes no sense. You will not earn more than electricity costs. Expect max $10 a month.

Radix - just imagine - radix.global
murderouskirk (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 06:32:40 PM

CPU mining on a Macbook makes no sense. You will not earn more than electricity costs. Expect max $10 a month.

I'm not worried about the electricity bill. Mostly just doing it for fun. Plus if the price of my alt coins ever goes up it will get covered.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: