Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:12:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on investing BTC for 5% a month interest?  (Read 762 times)
jonanon (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:15:05 AM

I, along with a few business partners, are currently in the process of setting up a service offering high interest for clients wishing to invest BTC with us.

It will work like this:

You invest from 0.5 - 5 BTC and we guarantee a return of 5% a month paid monthly with the option of cashing out your original investment with only 5 working days notice.

Our website is nearly complete and we will offer a very personal service (to invest with us you have to call us by phone and you would have a personal account manager you can call 24/7 etc).

Some of the main drawbacks we're envisaging at the moment are actually making people understand that this is a legitimate business. We would have a maximum fund at any one time and would go all out to show potential clients that they could invest their BTC without any concern.

Firstly, would anyone be interested in this?

Secondly, would you automatically think 'hang on they're just going to run away with my BTC'? - To put to this we will obviously not be an anonymous entity, we have nothing to hide.

Thirdly, would you feel comfortable calling someone on the telephone to invest BTC and developing a professional business relationship with them or do you use BTC to avoid this?

Any opinions would be most appreciated.

Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:32:27 AM

You invest from 0.5 - 5 BTC and we guarantee a return of 5% a month paid monthly with the option of cashing out your original investment with only 5 working days notice.

Yeah, well I envisage a couple of issues with your "service", namely you have a 0 rep account created rather recently with no trust whatsoever, your asking for an investment between $400 and $4000 (which most people aren't going to give you) and your "offering" 5% per MONTH (nearly impossible in the real world) without explaining what your doing with the money. I'm sorry, but the probability that this is a scam is >99%.
jonanon (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:38:48 AM

Yeah, well I envisage a couple of issues with your "service", namely you have a 0 rep account created rather recently with no trust whatsoever, your asking for an investment between $400 and $4000 (which most people aren't going to give you) and your "offering" 5% per MONTH (nearly impossible in the real world) without explaining what your doing with the money. I'm sorry, but the probability that this is a scam is >99%.

Thanks for your opinion, that's the main problem, how on earth can someone create a business that's based in BTC without someone thinking that it's a scam. It's not a scam but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

What are we doing with the BTC? Well we're not going to divulge exactly what we do but the gist is trading alt currencies and fiat etc etc. The real world does not offer such price volatility hence why we can offer 5% a month.

Now the whole reason for this post was to see if we are wasting out time due to peoples immediate reaction to think everything is a scam. It's a no win situation.

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:52:05 AM

Thanks for your opinion, that's the main problem, how on earth can someone create a business that's based in BTC without someone thinking that it's a scam. It's not a scam but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

What are we doing with the BTC? Well we're not going to divulge exactly what we do but the gist is trading alt currencies and fiat etc etc. The real world does not offer such price volatility hence why we can offer 5% a month.

Now the whole reason for this post was to see if we are wasting out time due to peoples immediate reaction to think everything is a scam. It's a no win situation.

Going on the remotest possibility that your not a scam (and it's a pretty damn big IF) I'll address each of the issues. It's not so much that the business is in BTC as there have been plenty of scams in fiat, the Madoff ponzi scam was a good example of that. Next, all return involves some risk (as the saying goes "no risk, no return") and so if there is such volatility then it is quite possible to lose money. Even if your not a scam, your not infallible to risk getting the better of your investment. Personally, if I were you I would use what savings you have and prove consistently via your trading that you can actually make 5% a month via trading (and post some form of verifiable proof rather than just your word). It's hard to judge whether people will trust you, it's a thing you develop, not something you can expect to happen overnight.
jonanon (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 11:06:17 AM

That's a nice idea, I mean I've been trading Forex for years now and of course experience losses as well as gains.

The things I have found so far with Crypto (only being trading about 2 months) is there are numerous benefits:

1. You can hold an order for as long as possible without incurring costs.
2. The markets are quite small so the larger the fund that one has to work with the more you can swing it in your own favour. (On cryptsy the whole market yesterday for LTC was about 250BTC while Forex is a trillion dollar deal.

Now you could say 'you've only been trading crypto for 2 months how can you guarantee 5%?' I am currently trading now and will continue to do so and will and would gladly showcase profits/loss before launching the service (in about 3 months time).

I've been averaging 5% per trade ie; BTC - ALT -BTC and we would make profits after the 5% return to the client.

We do say between 0.5 and 5 BTC investment - to prove it is not a Ponzi scheme would limit the total fund to a certain amount and publish all trading deals.

We are in the early stages of this at the moment and are open to all initial objections so we can work on them!

nanonano

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 06:16:49 PM

... Now you could say 'you've only been trading crypto for 2 months how can you guarantee 5%?'

I'm not going to invest in this, but I'll bite... No real investment portfolio ever _guarantees_ a profit -- and their average returns are roughly 10-20% of what you are now "guaranteeing". In fact, if you could make a guaranteed profit like the one you claim you can, there would be no reason at all for you to offer these services: it would always be more profitable to just loan some money from a bank and become rich by just trading a year or two. This would also be much less work for you.

With these facts, any reasonable person would deduce that you cannot "guarantee" a profit at all let alone a staggering 82% yearly return, and are basically making things up either because you don't know any better or because you intend to scam.
kellrobinson

Activity: 304
Merit: 380

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:57:21 AM

And nobody has yet mentioned the fact that buying and holding btc returns about 5% a WEEK, long term LOL.
Your fund is for suckers.
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 01:18:00 AM

It's just not possible to make 5% monthly returns consistently. There's a reason why the word "guarantee" is prohibited in the investment world. Not sure what your plan is, but sounds fishy.

Even if do have good intentions with this, you've pointed out an inherent problem with bitcoin -- the trust factor. Once the investor hits the send button on his bitcoin wallet, the money is gone and at the hostage of the service provider. It's hard enough to trust exchanges like Gox and BTC-E, so good luck finding anyone to invest his money long-term with your service. That's just a reality of the bitcoin ecosystem...

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: