Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:14:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Freedom Newsletter!  (Read 861 times)
BookofNick (OP)

Activity: 315
Merit: 116

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 06:16:49 PM

In my ongoing mission to further advance the cause of liberty, I started a daily, free, emailed newsletter last week and have gotten some great response so far. I talk about issues of freedom and individual liberty, economics, politics, technology, gold, silver, and of course Bitcoin!

I give you breaking news and rational insight and commentary on current events. Completely free, no ads, just a great way to start your morning. All you need to do is PM me your email address. Here is an excerpt from today's newsletter:

NPR and the Audio-Drugging of Society

10 August 2011 10:45 AM EST

If you are aware of even the most minor of intricacies regarding our current political state (in other words, if you are awake), then you know that listening to mainstream media is like trying to decipher a foreign language. The words may be coming through crystal clear, but trying to make sense of them can be mentally exhausting. 

Take NPR, for example. Last week, my truck radio was mostly tuned to the New York City NPR station (WNYC). While extremely serious events are taking place around the world, such as U.S. debt expansion and financial crises in Europe, child slavery in China, famine in Somalia, along with wars of aggression in various middle-eastern countries, NPR chose to devote the majority of their airtime to the following topics (I've created hyperlinks to each story in case you think I'm joking):

- The History of Helvetica (the font) in the New York Subway System.
- How to prepare lobster.
- Earth may have once had two moons.
- Low-cost vacation rental websites.
- On-screen romances.
- An architect building an exceptionally narrow house.
- The physics of roller coasters.

These things may be worth talking about (perhaps even dimly interesting) in a world where there is no war, no starvation, no child abuse, no forced taxation, and no Federal Reserve debt slavery. Unfortunately, that is not the world we live in. Talking about the physics of roller-coasters when tens of thousands of innocent people are incarcerated each year for smoking a naturally-occurring plant is circus-quality distraction on a grand scale. For NPR to pose as an objective and informative source for important news is borderline criminal. 

...to read the rest of the story, please subscribe to the newsletter by sending me your email address. I promise it will be worth it!

Thanks and peace,

Nick Foley

"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 06:27:48 PM

Sweet! +1  Grin

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 07:01:57 PM

not to be contrary but from my perspective, there is a point when people just say fuck it and turn off the goddamned news and stop paying for it. That is probably what NPR is seeing.

Honestly, when I see a guy on the side of the road selling a newspaper, I think of that guy as a carrier of the virus, the virus being a derangement strategy. I see him looking at me like I need to buy one, the drug pusher trying to catch my gaze. When I see a newspaper delivery van throwing papers at people's houses, i think of that guy as helping spread a disease that cascades down from the source of the degeneration of humanity.

When i see newspaper boxes and newspaper stands i see them as OTC hard drug stores, people require a fix, and it is there to provide it, but it isn't helping them.

have you ever noticed how the happiest most loving and joy filled people on earth who really know how to enjoy life are labeled mentally deficient and cast off to the side, while all the fear mongers and lunatics are treated as sages?
bitplane

Activity: 321

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2011, 07:13:26 PM

History, culinary advice, astronomy, architecture and physics are pretty interesting subjects. Far more interesting than war, poverty and all miserable things.
elggawf

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 07:47:46 PM

These things may be worth talking about (perhaps even dimly interesting) in a world where there is no war, no starvation, no child abuse, no forced taxation, and no Federal Reserve debt slavery. Unfortunately, that is not the world we live in. Talking about the physics of roller-coasters when tens of thousands of innocent people are incarcerated each year for smoking a naturally-occurring plant is circus-quality distraction on a grand scale. For NPR to pose as an objective and informative source for important news is borderline criminal.

Surely you jest? NPR is about the best we've got in this shithole country - contrast it to the mainstream media and NPR almost always looks objective. So they didn't spend enough time fixated on the world going to hell - who cares? They're still a hundred miles ahead of anyone else in this country, unless you're the type of mouth-breather who genuinely believes that climate change is a hoax or something.

^_^
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 08:12:53 PM

I understand why, but I don't know if I'm happy that they moved this topic.
rainingbitcoins

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 12:12:07 PM

Surely you jest? NPR is about the best we've got in this shithole country - contrast it to the mainstream media and NPR almost always looks objective. So they didn't spend enough time fixated on the world going to hell - who cares? They're still a hundred miles ahead of anyone else in this country, unless you're the type of mouth-breather who genuinely believes that climate change is a hoax or something.

It's weird to focus on NPR since there are a thousand better examples, but he does have a point when even the "best" source of news in this country looks like a pile of crap half the time.

NPR suffers from some of the same problems as for-profit news. They don't have as many advertiser concerns (although there are some when major corporations underwrite their broadcasting), but being almost entirely funded by donations and needing more listeners to get those donations, they end up heading in the direction of soft news because so many people find what's actually happening in this world to be "too depressing". I can't tell you how many times I've heard regular people give that as their excuse for not paying any attention to the news.

For me, and I suspect a lot of others even on the opposite side of the political fence, the constant injustices fill me with rage and a desire to know more.  But that sure ain't how it works for everyone.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
BookofNick (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 03:21:29 PM

I focus on NPR in this particular newsletter because 1. I listen to it the most and 2. They steal taxpayer funds to operate, which I find interesting and 3. You hardly ever hear an opinion beyond the left/right. They are not so dissimilar from other news outlets.

Also, I just gave you a portion of my story. I was hoping you would subscribe to read the rest.

Regarding global warming, I think that neither you nor I are meteorologists, but I do see the global warming agenda as anti-progress, and full of lies that further the agenda (I.e. Skewing climate data). But I'd love to hear your thoughts and hope you'll subscribe so we can carry on this conversation in the future.

BookofNick (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 03:36:04 PM

It's weird to focus on NPR since there are a thousand better examples, but he does have a point when even the "best" source of news in this country looks like a pile of crap half the time.

NPR suffers from some of the same problems as for-profit news. They don't have as many advertiser concerns (although there are some when major corporations underwrite their broadcasting), but being almost entirely funded by donations and needing more listeners to get those donations, they end up heading in the direction of soft news because so many people find what's actually happening in this world to be "too depressing". I can't tell you how many times I've heard regular people give that as their excuse for not paying any attention to the news.

For me, and I suspect a lot of others even on the opposite side of the political fence, the constant injustices fill me with rage and a desire to know more.  But that sure ain't how it works for everyone.

NPR is funded 15-30% through violent taxation - in other words, the money that funds NPR is taken from you, and you have no choice or say in how it's used. If you chose not to fund NPR, you will be taken to jail or shot.

That's why I focus on NPR in this newsletter (which is one newsletter of many). The "real" news may be depressing of painful to hear, but I think more people need to pay attention so that things can change. While they talk about the various color patterns on african toads, the government and bankers are robbing us blind. All I'm saying is: look, someone is robbing you while you're looking the other way.

P.s. I hope you'll subscribe. Lots more interesting articles to come. I cover bitcoin next.

rainingbitcoins

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 03:36:42 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2011, 04:03:44 AM by rainingbitcoins

NPR is funded 15-30% through violent taxation - in other words, the money that funds NPR is taken from you, and you have no choice or say in how it's used. If you chose not to fund NPR, you will be taken to jail or shot.

Oh give me a fucking break.

You gotta at least give libertarians some credit, I guess. They should plainly be able to see that this "taxation is VIOLENT THEFT" stuff makes sane people laugh at them, but they just keep going with it, never compromising, forever oblivious.

e: just for the hell of it, here's another depressing news story that highlights what an awful idea privatizing everything is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/12/us/12brfs-Ciavarella.html

How many judges did we have throwing children in prison for years on end for first offense shoplifting BEFORE we had a privatized prison industry to give the judges kickbacks? I'm pretty sure the number was zero.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██