Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:44:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining real USD  (Read 695 times)
natd (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 06:33:16 PM

I'm interested in knowing if miners would be interested on mining real US dollars, if it was  possible, instead of alt currencies. The hypothetical reward would be low per block (they would be real dollars!) but steady. Let's say @ 0.01 USD. Anyone interested on mining Obama's alt currency?

In search of light in cryptocurrency.
INSeed

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 06:37:58 PM

If it's not Scrypt / SHA256 stuff but something really innovative then why not.
However your USD will only be worth what people think it's worth, you can't just say my USDCoin := 1 USD
natd (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 06:48:58 PM

If it's not Scrypt / SHA256 stuff but something really innovative then why not.
However your USD will only be worth what people think it's worth, you can't just say my USDCoin := 1 USD

My hypothetical case is the US government creating an alt currency for the US dollar, and start issuing dollars through the netwofk @ 0.01 USD per block, as it would be less expensive for the government to issue new money this way than printing money on paper. I'm just exercising future possiblities for cryptocurrency uses.
Would you be interested on mining at a low reward as a penny per block if you are getting REAL dollars? (no asic allowed).

CoinGeneral

Merit: 100

The General

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 06:49:46 PM

It's easy to mine for USD, all you do is mine for any of the coins even BTC, convert it to USD, and bam it's like you're mining for USD

natd (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 06:56:36 PM

It's easy to mine for USD, all you do is mine for any of the coins even BTC, convert it to USD, and bam it's like you're mining for USD

No interest on getting USD directly, then?  A decentralized dollar?

natd (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:03:37 PM

It depends. How does difficulty factor in? How often is a new block minted?

Could I mint them with my crappy laptop GPU?

Yes, GPU/CPU only. As LTC.

Let's say new blocks every 10 minutes, as it has to be very secure.

I don't know about the difficulty, though. What would be fair?

Simran

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 07:05:37 PM

Not possible, the government wouldn't even think of such a thing. Decentralized dollar? We might as well just think the government doesn't exist, and when their knocking at your door....  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

*Image Removed*
Donate LTC: LRgbgTa3XNQSEUhnwC6Ye2vjiCV2CNRpib
Donate BTC: 1AGP6xPTRvsAVhsRsBX13NUH6p6LJjyeiA
natd (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:16:11 PM

Not possible, the government wouldn't even think of such a thing. Decentralized dollar? We might as well just think the government doesn't exist, and when their knocking at your door....  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Forget about that. It's hypothetical. It is possible in this exercise. Let's say the government already created an alt currency and gives you a penny per block every 10 minutes. Would you mine it? What would be a fair difficulty for the networkdollar miners?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: