Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:47:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is finished - and not because of the price....  (Read 2108 times)
whiskers75 (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:04:03 PM

If every bitcoiner who wants to run a small startup site gets DDoS'd into the ground, I don't think Bitcoin will catch on.

Tongue

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:12:06 PM

If every user who wants to run a small website gets DDoS'd into the ground, I don't think the internet will catch on.

Tongue

FTFY

Safety in numbers, as time goes on, and bitcoin grows, this will become less and less of a problem.

whiskers75 (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:18:29 PM

If every user who wants to run a small website gets DDoS'd into the ground, I don't think the internet will catch on.

Tongue

FTFY

Safety in numbers, as time goes on, and bitcoin grows, this will become less and less of a problem.
Mind explaining why my home connection is currently under DDoS from an extortionist, then?

yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:22:20 PM

Tongue

FTFY

Mind explaining why my home connection is currently under DDoS from an extortionist, then?

Because bitcoin is still small, and so any business is going to be vulnerable. But, there are also advantages to being the first to market. But, if you haven't got the balls for it then, yes, you should probably get out.

whiskers75 (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:23:29 PM

Tongue

FTFY

Because bitcoin is still small, and so any business is going to be vulnerable. But, there are also advantages to being the first to market. But, if you haven't got the balls for it then, yes, you should probably get out.
Read: HOME connection.

yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:26:29 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2013, 10:42:34 PM by yogi

Tongue

FTFY

Read: HOME connection.

Then what the HECK has this to do with bitcoin?

qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:26:32 PM

If every bitcoiner who wants to run a small startup site gets DDoS'd into the ground, I don't think Bitcoin will catch on.
Just a suggestion from cat to cat: build a mousetrap.
I.e., if you want to do business, get DDoS-Protection. Wink

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
whiskers75 (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:28:24 PM

I kinda know that now, but when the hackers go for your home connection... Tongue

qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:30:46 PM

I kinda know that now, but when the hackers go for your home connection... Tongue
Where do they know your home connection from?
Hint, hint: use a VPN to hide your home IP, if you want to avoid something like that.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:35:09 PM

Hint, hint: use a VPN to hide your home IP, if you want to avoid something like that.

I think he's just trolling, most ISP's use dynamic IP's. All you would need to do is reconnect and the attacker no-longer knows your IP address.

qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:46:40 PM

I think he's just trolling, most ISP's use dynamic IP's. All you would need to do is reconnect and the attacker no-longer knows your IP address.
I guess he's got the problem that his IP is visible on his chat site somewhere. If that's the case, he's got a problem.

EvilPanda

Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 07:59:22 PM

Firstly every data center has a ddos protection. Secondly it's not like every kid hacker has means to set up a ddos attack from his garage. You sound like a guy who's affraid to buy a car because it might get stolen or  damaged in an accident.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 08:05:54 PM

I don't think his problem is Bitcoin. It's more likely what he said to someone on his chat site or maybe on here.

evershawn

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

Vod is a liar

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:39:47 PM

These extortionist will get caught and thrown in prison eventually. Every scumbag takes an easy opportunity to prey on the weak.
vpitcher07

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:07:29 AM

Why kind of script kiddy DDOS's a home connection? What does that accomplish...

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
whiskers75 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:20:47 AM

Virgin Media is supposed to have dynamic IPs, but they never reallocate it ;P

I guess he's got the problem that his IP is visible on his chat site somewhere. If that's the case, he's got a problem.
The chat site? WhiskChat? *laughs* You do know that was the first to get DDoS'd? (also, it never showed IPs)
I don't know, and thanks for the tip - I now use Tor.

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:30:58 AM

Tongue

FTFY

1) How do you know it is a DDOS attack?
2) What have these extornianists demanded?

Its much more likely someone has just planted a trojan on your machine, and its now under their control not yours.

You shouldn't be running a serious website from home. Doh.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:44:36 AM

Tongue

Whats are the chances though?

whiskers75 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:51:26 AM

Tongue

FTFY

1) How do you know it is a DDOS attack?
2) What have these extornianists demanded?

Its much more likely someone has just planted a trojan on your machine, and its now under their control not yours.

You shouldn't be running a serious website from home. Doh.
Response to 1:

The extortionists didn't demand anything from me, but they have from another WhiskChat [now DDoS'd] user.

I don't run whiskchat from home, and I don't have a trojan.

whiskers75 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:51:46 AM

Anyway, this thread is pretty much pointless. Locking.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: