Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:59:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitGem.org - Buy gemstones pegged to BTC - New parcel for sale on page 2!  (Read 3742 times)
Anonymous

August 10, 2011, 08:29:27 PM
Last edit: September 08, 2011, 01:35:03 PM by Gilgamesh - BitGem.org

BitGem is a new service set up by myself and an investor. I am a geologist with a GIA background and have a passion for both gemstones and Bitcoins. I've stated many times that I believe the biggest weakness that Bitcoins have is their dependence on USD. Most things you see for sale from any regular vendor have prices listed in USD and Bitcoins, with the Bitcoin price being current market value for USD.

This isn't what Bitcoin needs to survive. I would like to try and help bridge this gap by offering semi-precious and precious gemstones at a price pegged to Bitcoins no matter how high or low they go. This may mean I take a loss on some stones in the immediate, but I know my Bitcoins will go back up in time to compensate. The only time I will adjust my prices is if Bitcoins go up so high that it would be insane to buy for the customer (for example, if one btc was $100 it would make no sense to buy a garnet from me at my current prices).

Currently I'm offering Garnets (1btc), Peridots (1.5btc), and spessartite (3btc, only one remaining). I have several more gemstones waiting to be added to the list, particularly some relatively small emeralds and some very nice sapphires.

The list will grow over time, and I am happy to look into any stones people would like me to stock. I can't stock diamonds, and mineral samples aren't very likely unless there is high demand and I can find a wholesaler.

Also, your privacy is a big concern to me, so I won't be storing any transaction records or receipts electronically where anyone can find them. Everything will be kept in a physical ledger, which is essentially the ultimate hacker-proof system. If you wish to purchase something, please contact me either over e-mail or here on the forums.

I have a temporary website up while I finish coding the final site:

http://www.bitgem.org/

I have already conducted one sale on these forums and found a happy customer. Please note that I'm out of town right now and any order less than about 2btc is going to be too much for posting for me to deal with until the end of september. To make up for that, any order 2btc or greater in that time will receive a small free emerald. While not the most valuable emeralds I'll stock, they are genuine gem quality emeralds.

I look forward to doing business with the Bitcoin community in the coming months.

-Gilgamesh

The current stock is:

White Topaz 1 btc

Garnets 1 btc

Peridots 1.5 btc

Spessartite Garnet 3 btc

Campaign Topaz 1.5 btc

Pear Topaz 2.5 btc

Round Topaz 2 btc

Trillion Topaz 2.5 btc

Fire Opal 4.5 btc

Sapphire 5 btc SOLD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 10:43:16 PM

The site looks very interesting!  I will certainly keep an eye on this as it develops and I look forward to new products.
kookiekrak

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 12:12:23 AM

get me a SI H-J flawless roundcut 1 carat diamond with certificate plz =D

FREE 100 GME if you post your Cryptsy TradeKey on the official GameCoinTalk forums

http://www.gamecointalk.org/index.php?topic=7.msg9#new
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 07:33:57 AM

What, no coltan and conflict diamonds?
Anonymous

August 11, 2011, 07:33:51 PM

Why would I want to support horrible human rights abuses?
Coineer

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

NewsBTC Canada

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 11:44:29 PM

Can you provide a complete list of stock?

Do you have anything over 1ct. in size?

Coineer - The World's First Bitcoin Magazine Available in Print and Online is Now NewsBTC Canada!
Anonymous

August 12, 2011, 07:07:10 AM

Currently I have what is listed on the website, plus one sapphire I'm working on identifying the nature of any treatments before selling, and one goshenite (colorless beryl) well over a carat.

More will be available at the end of the month. I didn't post the goshenite because I didn't figure there'd be much interest.
Anonymous

August 12, 2011, 08:59:24 PM

I'm in negotiations with my supplier to see if I can get some larger stones, since I've had a lot of requests for those. Don't expect me to have huge sapphires, but I'll see what I can get.
Anonymous

August 13, 2011, 07:48:06 PM

I'm going to hear back Monday from my supplier, are there any requests for specific kinds of large stones?
dovewing2000

Activity: 134

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 07:07:26 AM

i know this may not be related... but any chance you would get crystals as a product?
Anonymous

August 14, 2011, 11:09:22 AM
Last edit: August 14, 2011, 11:46:24 AM by Gilgamesh

Everything I'm selling is a crystal. Smiley

To clarify, whether you're interested in crystal structures due to chemical growth or religious/metaphysical properties, these are the same things.

Or were you just looking for roughs?
msb8r

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2011, 06:19:23 PM

For those that didn't catch my post in -Discussions (plus a free bump for Gilgamesh). I ordered a stone from Gilgamesh (one of the spessartite) last week and received it 2 days later.
Throughout I was kept informed of progress with my order. Will definitely put in another order.

Bonus info: ran the stone through http://gemval.com where it values in the $40-50 range (paid 3BTC incl shipping).

New Bitcoin directory @ http://btcdir.org/
dovewing2000

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 10:42:05 PM

Everything I'm selling is a crystal. Smiley

To clarify, whether you're interested in crystal structures due to chemical growth or religious/metaphysical properties, these are the same things.

Or were you just looking for roughs?

something like white christal structure for chemical/metaphical property...
http://hk.image.auctions.yimg.com/ac/34/96/b18346249-ac-2425xf10x0600x0400-m.jpg
Anonymous

August 14, 2011, 11:48:57 PM

I could likely track something like that down, anything specific you're looking for?

At the same time, I highly recommend gemstones if you're into crystals. It's still the same thing, still the same chemical structure, crystal system, etc. but with the added advantage of having the best qualities of light brought out in them. Remember, even Egyptian preists had gemstone necklaces, they're still the raw stuff of the earth. Just a bit shinier. Smiley
Anonymous

August 15, 2011, 11:26:25 PM

I can't find anything in the truly massive range, but I'm looking at some >1ct stones which might satisfy your gemlust, stay tuned!
dovewing2000

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 11:27:29 PM

yeah - I'm basically looking for Quartz (hopefully i'm getting more specific... ) I'm usually online due to the fact that I log on from my home and work computer but let me know if I need to give more specific as I'm new to gemstones/crystals/quartz...
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 11:33:37 PM

Question...It is my understanding that once a gemstone crosses the 1 carat weight threshold, it's proportional value goes up significantly.  In other words, a .5 carat gemstone is NOT usually worth half of what a 1 carat gemstone is worth because its much harder to find 1 carat of a particular gem and have that entire carat be free of inclusions.  Is this true?
Anonymous

August 16, 2011, 07:34:25 AM

the joint: Prices tend o be exponential, but not in an easily quantifiable way. I know that a act peridot in my collection cost almost $60 wholesale, that's not to say a half carat is straight up 30, it depends on a lot of variables. For some ecxtremely rare gems, the carat threshhold might be 0.1 ct.

dovewing: are you interested in fax eyed, or just rough stone? Quartz is easy for me to find even in larger sizes. What colour quartz?
Anonymous

August 16, 2011, 06:05:29 PM

yeah - I'm basically looking for Quartz (hopefully i'm getting more specific... ) I'm usually online due to the fact that I log on from my home and work computer but let me know if I need to give more specific as I'm new to gemstones/crystals/quartz...

I've done a bit of digging, and frankly if you're just looking for quartz crystals there isn't much reason for you to go through me. If you really want to spend bitcoins for this I could probably help you but it'd be a special order so it could be a bit of a bother for you.

If you'd like, I could help you track down good quartz crystals that would suit your needs in a manner that would allow you to purchase them yourself. Since all you're looking for is quartz, eBay would actually be a pretty safe bet. With pretty much any gemstone the risk involved is too high, but for quartz the material itself is so cheap that it's rarely counterfeit. That's not to say that it doesn't happen, glass is frequently substituted and sold as "crystals", particularly to the market you seem to be in.

I do recommend gemstones though, both because their value is more inherent and frankly they're nicer looking. Think of them as small crystals you can bring with you places, they're no different from the full-sized things except in how they look.

Finally, I'd like to offer you some advice. The metaphysical market for crystals is utterly saturated with horses hit. There are no "frequencies" that crystals vibrate at that makes them more in tune with anything. If you treat your belief like a religious one, then you're okay, you're not likely going to have people pulling wool over your eyes at every turn. If you start tying scientific mumbo-jumbo into the mix, you're going to be a victim to someone selling snake oil because "Only THIS crystal vibrates at the right frequency!"

Walk down the road you're heading with a bit of caution, just to avoid people taking you for all you're worth.

If you would like some help tracking down quartz crystals, I'd be happy to lend my services free of charge and point you in the right direction. If you'd like to buy some gemstones, I'd also be happy to help with that. Feel free to send me a PM. Good luck finding what you're seeking, be it quartz or yourself.
dovewing2000

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 04:08:51 AM

Hey Gilgamesh,

Thanks for the advise - I'm not the science type just basically buying quartz for the "feel better" reason ... I'll try to earn a few more btc and definitely will take your advise about gemstone and may be an order (gf kinda scolded me to get my rigs profitable first... but soon i should be able to spend them accordingly to get her a surprise and buy gemstones...).
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: