Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 11:41:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: You can't import a key pair that's been used before? What?  (Read 634 times)
manuel (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 09:54:53 PM

What good is being able to import a key if you can't import one that's been used before?  Is this a typo?  Is this a joke?  What good is backing up my key pairs for a rainy day if I won't be allowed to import them if they've been used before?  This can't be right, is it?

(space)bitcoind importprivkey "5yourveryveryveryverylongprivatekeystring" "my-new-key"  # "my-new-key" is a label for the key/address pair and is optional

The importing process is now started. Bitcoind will rescan the entire block data to ensure this key has not been used before. This process will take from one to two minutes, depending on your CPU performance. DO NOT abort it before finishing!

If no errors occurs, the import is a success and Bitcoin-QT users will be able to see the new address in the GUI immediately. If you need to import more keys, just repeat the instructions above. There is currently no command to import a batch of private keys so you will need to wait a minute or two for each key to be imported.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:00:06 PM

It shouldn't be right. Perhaps what they mean is, Bitcoind/Bitcoin-qt will rescan the blockchain so it can retrieve any spendable outputs and display your balance.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
manuel (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:05:44 PM

It shouldn't be right. Perhaps what they mean is, Bitcoind/Bitcoin-qt will rescan the blockchain so it can retrieve any spendable outputs and display your balance.

Hope so.  I'm testing now.  It sure takes a lot longer than a minute or two if you don't have a very fast computer.  And if you stop it in the middle of the scan you can corrupt your blockchain and/or wallet.   Shocked
Zae

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:07:25 PM

You can't import a key pair that's been used before? What?
That's not what it says.

What it means is that bitcoind will rescan the blockchain to check the total balance.
evershawn

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

Vod is a liar

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:08:40 PM

It's just a rescan, you can import it.
manuel (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 10:13:47 PM

It's just a rescan, you can import it.

I am not sure what "just a rescan" means in this context but yes I can confirm I can import an address with a balance.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: