Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:55:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TEST network, for experimental development and hacking  (Read 27290 times)
lfm

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 31, 2010, 02:21:13 PM

Can you be more specific about where your build fails?  Is it in the new code to support the -port / -rpcport options (which I should have put on a different git branch) ?

# make -f makefile.unix bitcoind
g++ -c -O2 -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wformat -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -D__WXGTK__ -DNOPCH -I"/usr/include" -I"/usr/local/include/wx-2.9" -I"/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-
unicode-debug-static-2.9" -o obj/nogui/util.o util.cpp
In file included from headers.h:71,
                 from util.cpp:5:
/usr/include/boost/interprocess/sync/file_lock.hpp:166: error: ‘bool boost::interprocess::file_lock::timed_acquire_file_lock(boost::interprocess::file_handle_t, bool&, const boost::posix_time::ptime&)’ cannot be overloaded
/usr/include/boost/interprocess/sync/file_lock.hpp:110: error: with ‘bool boost::interprocess::file_lock::timed_acquire_file_lock(boost::interprocess::file_handle_t, bool&, const boost::posix_time::ptime&)’
/usr/include/boost/interprocess/sync/file_lock.hpp:194: error: ‘bool boost::interprocess::file_lock::timed_acquire_file_lock_sharable(boost::interprocess::file_handle_t, bool&, const boost::posix_time::ptime&)’ cannot be overloaded

... and so on for a long-long time

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2164

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2010, 05:43:45 PM

That IS part of the new -port / -rpcport code (I use boost::interprocess::file_lock to make sure bitcoins running on different ports don't try to use the same wallet/blkindex/etc files).

I'll create an svnTEST branch that omits those changes, and will always be just a TEST-network version of the latest svn trunk.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary
qt

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2010, 06:33:50 PM

svnTEST branch is up on github.

I also uploaded just the production-bitcoin-to-TEST-network-bitcoin patches to github, at: http://gist.github.com/502460
... so:
Code:
curl http://gist.github.com/raw/502460/2182724de9ef2d6721bf0e0962cc6a6895bcbee4 | patch -l
... should patch production network source code to TEST network.  And:
Code:
curl http://gist.github.com/raw/502460/2182724de9ef2d6721bf0e0962cc6a6895bcbee4 | patch -l --reverse
... will go the other way.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
lfm

View Profile
August 01, 2010, 05:41:56 AM

That IS part of the new -port / -rpcport code (I use boost::interprocess::file_lock to make sure bitcoins running on different ports don't try to use the same wallet/blkindex/etc files).

I'll create an svnTEST branch that omits those changes, and will always be just a TEST-network version of the latest svn trunk.

So if I just grab the .tar.gz from github will I get this? I haven't figured out git and/or svn yet really
lfm

View Profile
August 01, 2010, 06:16:25 AM

nevermind now, it seems like the stadard 0.3.7 has incorporated your changes for ports and now It won't build on the old boost version either. Ill need to figure out some other solution.
Anonymous

September 20, 2010, 04:17:23 AM

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=997.msg13237#msg13237

An officially supported fork so that companies can pay the bitcoin network in transaction fees and allowing bitcoin as an accepted payment method in exchange for certification and ongoing support.After all who knows the most about bitcoin and could make sure nothing funky was going on ?

Why dont we take advantage of the fact that the users of bitcoin are the best ones to "certify" forks of bitcoin?

This secondary "virtual currency" implementation could be run on each separate website and allow proprietary networks to be developed while promoting bitcoin as an accepted payment method. If we do this before a company such as facebook makes the first move it could be a smart move.
In effect bitcoin would establish itself as the certifying authority on future forks of the project.
WNS

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:45:41 PM

Have the specs for testnet changed? I'm not getting any block chain data when I attempt to connect with bitcoind 0.3.21
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 04:23:04 PM

Have the specs for testnet changed? I'm not getting any block chain data when I attempt to connect with bitcoind 0.3.21

I get all 22683 blocks correctly. Now I expected to generate some coins in a couple of minutes... Smiley
ene

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 07:15:47 PM

Testnet was reset recently with a new genesis block. If you have any data from the old testnet e.g. C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\testnet you should delete it, otherwise your client will be confused and refuse to download any blocks.
neosam

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 03:20:11 PM

Hi all,

I have started the bitcoin client in testmode two hours ago.  It's mining for 1 1/2 h at 200 kHash/s but I didn't get any coins yet.  But I need playmoney to do some test transactions.   Am I doing something wrong?  I use the original bitcoin client version 0.3.21-beta on ubuntu 11.04 (started with ./bitcoin -testnet).

Cheers,
Simon.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 03:31:06 PM

I recall having read something about a couple of days somewhere in this forum, don't ask me where exactly...

Or you may use the bitcoin test faucet, although that will only give you around 0.11 BTC currently.
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary
qt

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 03:32:45 PM

Testnet faucet is up and running if you need testnet coins:
  https://testnet.freebitcoins.appspot.com/

Although I've mostly been using testnet-in-a-box for testing recently:
  https://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/testnet-in-a-box/

neosam

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 03:41:28 PM

Super, thanks!

I always tried https://freebitcoins.appspot.com/test/ but the page is down.   https://testnet.freebitcoins.appspot.com/ works!

Thanks!

Cheers,
Simon.
cuqa

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 07:41:16 PM

hey, I wanna build a pool frontend and set up a server w/ pushpool which is running in testnet currently.

I mined all night and some hours today, summed up maybe 10 hours with 35 Mhash/s and I havent solved a single Block. Usually I should create 1 Block every 30 minutes so I start to think that I did something wrong.

What could be the problem? Everything seems to work fine except that I dont receive any Test Coins.

However, I havent switched any ports in server.json or bitcoin.conf ..
ene

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 09:00:20 PM

cuqa if I had to guess, I would say you are accidentally mining on realnet instead of testnet. ;-)
seer

Activity: 50

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 01:30:09 AM

I have to say testnet is getting hard to generate coins/blocks or something is wrong. I am hardly getting any blocks coming in so my transactions are not processing so i moved my miner that does 650Mhash/s onto the testnet network.  This is saved setting that worked in the past and normally generate the coins in 3-15 min.  So far it has been 40 min with no coins generated and only 1 other block coming in from the network.  Looks like it will take me about 80 min to test a single transaction at the min. 

Wish i could use testnet in a box but using multiple machines linux and win plus need to use custom build of the client on the backend.

Is this just because the difficulty on the testnet is getting too high?  Couldn't it be set lower so more blocks come out and people can do tests faster?
dbitcoin

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

BTCDig - mining pool

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 12:26:59 PM

I have to say testnet is getting hard to generate coins/blocks or something is wrong. I am hardly getting any blocks coming in so my transactions are not processing so i moved my miner that does 650Mhash/s onto the testnet network.  This is saved setting that worked in the past and normally generate the coins in 3-15 min.  So far it has been 40 min with no coins generated and only 1 other block coming in from the network.  Looks like it will take me about 80 min to test a single transaction at the min.  

Wish i could use testnet in a box but using multiple machines linux and win plus need to use custom build of the client on the backend.

Is this just because the difficulty on the testnet is getting too high?  Couldn't it be set lower so more blocks come out and people can do tests faster?

Use this with modified configs:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/testnet-in-a-box/

BTCDig - mining pool (Stratum, VarDiff, DGM, SSL, JSON API)
Furyan

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 11:02:36 PM

What exactly are the use cases for the TEST network?

Should I use it when setting up a new pool, for example, to make sure everything is running correctly? Or is it intended more for miners & ecommerce apps that will be consuming bitcoins?
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8343

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2011, 11:14:40 PM

Should I use it when setting up a new pool, for example, to make sure everything is running correctly? Or is it intended more for miners & ecommerce apps that will be consuming bitcoins?

"Yes". Its for testing.

Though, at the moment the testnet difficulty is high enough again that its less useful for any kind of testing that requires mining.

Furyan

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 11:40:24 PM

"Yes". Its for testing.

Though, at the moment the testnet difficulty is high enough again that its less useful for any kind of testing that requires mining.

So if I run bitcoind in testnet mode and it downloads the block chain, and then I switch to the live chain, what happens?  What do I need to delete/reset/watch out for?

And vice versa - what if I've already downloaded the live block chain and switch to testnet mode.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: