Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:54:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5850 strange noise when underclock memory  (Read 1046 times)
ddd1 (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2011, 11:59:12 PM

Maybe I'm imagining but it feels as if one of my 5850 makes a strange noise when underclocking the memory to 500 and running furmark multi gpu app.
there also is some flickering.

When I'm using stock memory none of these problems.

Question: The mining only uses core, so the memory is not stressed, why not leave it at stock?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 12:14:58 AM

Like a such a small screaming pitch noise? Most likely a capacitor vibrating. Sometimes, if you could locate that vibrating capacitor, you could use a hot glue gun w/ hot glue sticks, and dab some hot glue on the capacitor. It will help it stop vibrating.

Question: The mining only uses core, so the memory is not stressed, why not leave it at stock?

You save electricity by under clocking the mem. And overclocking mem helps absolutely non at all with mining.
ddd1 (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 12:57:24 AM

Like a such a small screaming pitch noise? Most likely a capacitor vibrating. Sometimes, if you could locate that vibrating capacitor, you could use a hot glue gun w/ hot glue sticks, and dab some hot glue on the capacitor. It will help it stop vibrating.

You save electricity by under clocking the mem. And overclocking mem helps absolutely non at all with mining.

thanks that explains it, so this capacitor doesn's vibrate at 1000mhz memory for some reason?

I realized the flickering has to do with runnin multi monitor setup, could this have anything to do with capazitor noise? this thread has regarding common flickering on ALL 58xxhttp://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1559534&page=17

edit---> the noise is as if gas was leaking or if water goes through water pipes.
the noise is wery notisable in furmark test with memory at 500mhz, at 1000mhz it is not there.

when mining you can hear a wery tiny noise from the card at 500 memory

the noise has nothing to do with multi monitor, indeed it is a capasitor which mostlikely has some kind of connection to RAM, maybe it is a VRAM voltage adjuster?
pekv2

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 03:51:29 AM

thanks that explains it, so this capacitor doesn's vibrate at 1000mhz memory for some reason?

maybe it is a VRAM voltage adjuster?

It could, I had at times, when I scrolled with FF4 before FF5 came out, my vid card had a pitch noise.

For the "VRAM voltage adjuster?" I don't know.
ddd1 (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 12:05:35 AM

yeah I had that firefox noise on my 8800GTX or was it IE? one of those.

I overclocked my 5850 sapphire to 825core memory 1000default.
at first mining went normal, then wen I started playing I put -w 256 and BSOD and memory dump.

After that windows always freezes after splash with windows logo.

pekv2

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 12:32:13 AM

Boot into safe mode with networking, install ccleaner, run ccleaner, goto startup programs, disable what ever set to start with windows, as in if you have miners to startup with windows and or w/e overclocking tool. Sounds like you have set something to startup with windows like overclocking tool, and overclocking tool to startup with a certain startup overclock setting.

Start windows normally.

----

I would suggest not to have anything like that to start with windows until it is very clear to you that your pc is stable enough.
CoinHunter

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 05:18:06 AM

It's definitely a capacitor! As to why it happens, it depends which capacitor it is. A lot of cheaper video cards have weak capacitors in the display circuit, so if there is too much "White" on the screen they make an audible noise. Scrolling can also be for a similar reason, more GPU power is required when updating the display. I had a "loud" capacitor in a Nvidia 9600GT, and that was 4 years ago and it's still working fine. It stopped making the whine noise, which is what can also happen over time.

If different memory speeds are controlling the pitch it could be a power related capacitor, you could play around with the memory speed until you find a sweet spot, kinda like tuning a guitar.

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
ddd1 (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 12:45:13 PM

Boot into safe mode with networking, install ccleaner, run ccleaner, goto startup programs, disable what ever set to start with windows, as in if you have miners to startup with windows and or w/e overclocking tool. Sounds like you have set something to startup with windows like overclocking tool, and overclocking tool to startup with a certain startup overclock setting.

Start windows normally.

----

I would suggest not to have anything like that to start with windows until it is very clear to you that your pc is stable enough.

thanks for the suggestion, I never had any OC program start with the PC.

I took out the Sapphire 5850 that I mined when it instantly BSOD, I took out the Asus 5850 and put the Sapphire in it's slot.
With just the Sapphire no image whatsover on display so it seems as it has died on me.

Maybe if it's a capasitor that's dead it can be fixed?

Chances are wery high this card is dead.
pekv2

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 02:54:55 PM

RMA the card, if you cannot RMA the card, it will be difficult, desolder the bad capacitor off the gfx card board "desoldering station/heatgun/maybe a soldering gun", order a new same capacitor, solder the new one on. That is if you can find if it is a bad capacitor and which one.
ddd1 (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 05:17:20 PM

I think I have warranty if it's 2 year warranty.

incase not I guess I need to buy a multimeter and find what component is dead?
pekv2

View Profile
August 12, 2011, 05:21:40 PM

I think I have warranty if it's 2 year warranty.

incase not I guess I need to buy a multimeter and find what component is dead?

If your warranty is not up, just RMA the card.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: