Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:30:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin forks - Create new forum board?  (Read 1783 times)
mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 08:06:31 AM

I propose a forum board to be created for all threads regarding Bitcoin forks.

Moving such threads, including the wildly popular https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36218.0 to offtopic seems rather strange, if not kind of odd.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 08:08:39 AM

Why does everything need to be heaped into this forum? It is already too busy.

IMO, forks should make their own forums. If you can make a genesis block, you can certainly install a PHPBB (or similar) instance...

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
mizerydearia (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 08:10:49 AM

Why does everything need to be heaped into this forum? It is already too busy.

IMO, forks should make their own forums. If you can make a genesis block, you can certainly install a PHPBB (or similar) instance...

See http://ixcoin.org/forum/

The reason for mention on this forum about a bitcoin fork is the same reason many businesses, organizations and many other affiliations/associations with bitcoin (in any way) are referenced directly at the source as an extra opportunity to spread the word and propagate such information.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 08:42:44 AM

I'd prefer that these alternate block chains use different forums, though I would consider creating a section if a really popular alternate block chain appeared. Ixcoin and Namecoin are not there yet, and I'm convinced that at least Ixcoin will disappear soon.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 03:47:27 AM

I'd prefer that these alternate block chains use different forums, though I would consider creating a section if a really popular alternate block chain appeared. Ixcoin and Namecoin are not there yet, and I'm convinced that at least Ixcoin will disappear soon.
If an alternative were to come up to become popular, why not just make a thread and sticky it.
Having a section just for a fork would almost be like an insult (for how I see it, personally) to the Bitcoin economy.

JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 05:13:58 AM

Having a section just for a fork would almost be like an insult (for how I see it, personally) to the Bitcoin economy.

An insult how? You think Bitcoin will have trouble competing? I see it as the opposite. If nobody can come up with a superior blockchain then the resilience of Bitcoin is proven and it will boost the confidence of the market.
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 05:28:30 AM

An insult how? You think Bitcoin will have trouble competing? I see it as the opposite. If nobody can come up with a superior blockchain then the resilience of Bitcoin is proven and it will boost the confidence of the market.
An insult to think they could compete with Bitcoin. Grin

mizerydearia (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 02:54:08 PM

More like free advertisement for bitcoin to show that it encompasses its children forked genesis key blockchains and that those blockchains are based off bitcoin.  Although, I suppose bitcoiners (or a couple of them anyway) would rather segregate maybe?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: