Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 05:40:18 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] 2011 1 BTC Error Casascius Coin 2.25BTC  (Read 3172 times)
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:36:40 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2014, 04:14:47 AM by SaltySpitoon

Hey guys, I've got a 2011, 1 BTC error Casascius coin for sale. If you want to own a piece of history, but don't want to pay 3-4+ BTC for a flawless one, this one is for you! While its not in bad condition, it does have a reasonable amount of tarnish on the front (lower left) for its age, and some scratches on the back holo. With the impending Casascius shutdown, I've got no idea what a coin in "circulated" condition will go for, so if you are interested in it, pm me or post an offer in the thread.

I will accept Bitcoins, mailed cash, or gold/silver

Any agreed upon price would include Priority Shipping with tracking, and Signature confirmation if you want it.

If anyone is interested, feel free to pm me.

I'm fine with escrow if you pay the fee.

SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 06:23:54 PM

Pics and price added.
bitmarket.io
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 08:54:08 PM

looks beat to hell
quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 08:59:01 PM

Can you provide more information?  This looks cool but where did it come from, how many are there?

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:43:42 PM

looks beat to hell

Yup, which is why I'm not selling it for 3-4 BTC like pristine ones.

Can you provide more information?  This looks cool but where did it come from, how many are there?

It is a 2011 Error Casascius, the first run of physical Bitcoin coins produced by Casascius.

Here is a bit of additional information:

https://www.casascius.com/

http://casascius.uberbills.com/

http://casascius.uberbills.com/?address=1DtmMLhBQoiwUtdg18h7AFA4m57Vte3EGi

Just FYI, a good metal polish like Blue Magic would transform that coin on the face and around the edge, be careful around the hologram. Blue Magic also applies a thin, protective silicon finish to the metal. If it revitalized century-old bronze, a worn Casascius coin should be no problem.

I'm sure the tarnish could be removed easy enough, however I'm not going to do it myself, as that is generally frowned upon in coin collecting. When cleaning a coin, it removes mint lustre, which can damage the coin far more value wise than leaving the patina in tact. Whether that is the case for Casascius bitcoins, I don't know, but I'll let the buyer decide if they want to clean it or not.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 11:06:54 PM

Yes I agree it does more harm than good to scrub pure or uncirculated coins, but for resilient alloys like brass, bronze, and steel, it can really bring out the highlights of otherwise "ordinary" coins.

I agree, in the case of not knowing how it will effect the value though, I will allow the buyer to clean it if they so choose. If you clean an old bronze roman coin, it loses like 95% of its value, however this isn't a coin from an ancient civilization, so I just don't know how it would effect the value. Its up to the market I suppose.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 02:31:41 AM

I should mention, although I'm looking to sell it for 2.5 BTC + if it doesn't sell in a few days, and I just get bored, I'll throw it up for auction starting at 2 or 2.25 and see where it goes.
Nightowlace

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 03:31:21 AM

Yes I agree it does more harm than good to scrub pure or uncirculated coins, but for resilient alloys like brass, bronze, and steel, it can really bring out the highlights of otherwise "ordinary" coins.

I agree, in the case of not knowing how it will effect the value though, I will allow the buyer to clean it if they so choose. If you clean an old bronze roman coin, it loses like 95% of its value, however this isn't a coin from an ancient civilization, so I just don't know how it would effect the value. Its up to the market I suppose.

You can check my sales thread in the signature, I am a long time seller of Casascius coins of all years, as well as graded coins. I can tell you I just saw an add for a graded MS60 (terrible grade) coin. The reason it received such a terrible grade from ANACS is because the coin was marked "cleaned". This is probably the worst thing you can do for a "collectible" piece.
bitmarket.io
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 03:39:45 AM

You can check my sales thread in the signature, I am a long time seller of Casascius coins of all years, as well as graded coins. I can tell you I just saw an add for a graded MS60 (terrible grade) coin. The reason it received such a terrible grade from ANACS is because the coin was marked "cleaned". This is probably the worst thing you can do for a "collectible" piece.

I know a guy that used Brasso to polish his brass coins Tongue
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:09:07 AM

Thanks, I wasn't sure what cleaning one of these coins would do to it, I definately wouldn't do it myself.

Part of the allure of these coins, is owning a piece of Bitcoin history, as these are the first physical bitcoins ever produced from what could remain the standard in physical coins fiveever.
bitmarket.io
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 04:09:45 AM

u can always vacuum seal a lot of the coins to preserve them. no need to get them graded.

Part of the allure of these coins, is owning a piece of Bitcoin history, as these are the first physical bitcoins ever produced from what could remain the standard in physical coins fiveever.

They better be around forever. I have lots invested in these coins.  Mike better not quit pushing and fighting. I want consecutive series releases.
Chainsaw

Activity: 625
Merit: 501

x

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:59:51 PM

Just seconding what nightowlace is saying here.
I bet johnniewalker could even add a few interesting stories about cleaned coins.

Some of the original coins are now getting old enough they're beginning to show some tarnish. A little longer, we'll get to see what sort of natural toning develops.
I have two or three I'm letting develop in this way. Yes, I'm holding out hope to get a highly desirable specimen. Who knows how it'll turn out.

SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:36:57 AM

Daily Bump for people getting home from work with some coin burning their pockets.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:58:19 PM

Order now, and overnight shipping within the U.S will be included. I need the Bitcoins for crack... I mean various Bitcoin investment stuff.
Nightowlace

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2013, 05:14:01 AM

Order now, and overnight shipping within the U.S will be included. I need the Bitcoins for crack... I mean various Bitcoin investment stuff.

I will give you the 1BTC that it has on the coin but that is the most I can offer. I am not trying to low ball you by any means I hope you get more but just in case you decide to rip it open and redeem it I will trade you so that it doesn't get destroyed.
geoffreyqp

Activity: 712
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:11:39 AM

SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 12:35:08 PM

I will give you the 1BTC that it has on the coin but that is the most I can offer. I am not trying to low ball you by any means I hope you get more but just in case you decide to rip it open and redeem it I will trade you so that it doesn't get destroyed.

Thanks for the offers, but I'll pass.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:10:55 PM

In light of Casascius' temporary/permanent shut down I will be holding onto this coin for a while to see how it all plays out.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/12/casascius/
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:23:09 AM

Opening the thread back up, as I'm curious to see if the lack of news from Casascius has influenced the market.
htspringer

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:09:26 PM

Opening the thread back up, as I'm curious to see if the lack of news from Casascius has influenced the market.
I think if you cleaned the coin up and put it on ebay you'd get at least a $700 premium over the face bitcoin value.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: