Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:56:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronicles of a bitcoin noob (WAS: bitcoin from scratch)  (Read 1787 times)
nondescriptmale (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:47:47 AM
Last edit: December 20, 2013, 06:11:07 PM by nondescriptmale

Can't help myself!  I've decide to jump into bitcoin with both feet, starting from scratch.  I'm a software developer by day and swore I'd never be one of those guys that worked all day in front of a computer only to come home and spend all evening working in front of a computer.  So I never did.  However...bitcoin and crypto-currencies are just so damned fascinating I just have to now.  I've been fascinated with crypto protocols since I first learned about them in the mid 90s.  Spent time lurking on the cypherpunk mailing list.  It's time to get back to an old love.  First step, get a computer at home I can do some dev on!  All I have at home right now is an old-ish Macbook Pro.  I want to keep that separate from any bitcoin/alt coin dev I get into.  After I get a decent dev box at home I will set up the necessary dev environment and start playing with the bitcoin source to really see how it works under the hood.  Should be fun!

Edit 1: By 'from scratch' I didn't mean 'rewrite the code from scratch'.  I meant to indicate I was getting into the bitcoin technology without having most of the prerequisites.  I don't have a decent computer for doing dev work at home.  I've never worked on an open source project.  Never worked with MSYS, Perl, Python, GCC, Git, OpenSSL, Berkeley DB, Boost, Miniupnpc, or QT. The last time I worked with any UNIX-like OS it was called SunOS (unless you count NeXTSTEP). And obviously, I currently only know the basics of the bitcoin protocol and nothing about the actual implementation.  So, I'm not quite starting from nothing as I have been coding for many years, but I have a lot to learn.  Should be fun!

Edit 2: Changed 'Subject' line to better reflect the topic of this thread.
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:48:18 AM

Okay, good luck! The project can always use more devs Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 11:50:16 AM

welcome to the party Smiley

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 12:55:49 PM

I believe he wants to re-implement the protocol.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:15:13 PM

As many people have done, I guess it qualifies as learning experience.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 05:14:00 PM

As many people have done, I guess it qualifies as learning experience.

It also qualifies as a lot of fun and satisfaction - I know what I'm saying Smiley

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
nondescriptmale (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:43:50 PM

Yeah sure.  I plan re-implement it in COBOL, tweak a few parameters, then launch cobolcoin - the coin for legacy business operations! I'll make a fortune!  Ha!

Nope, no plans to re-implement.  Just want to see how it works, learn how some of the other interesting alt coins work, and see where that leads.  Maybe even contribute something useful someday.  It will be a slow process as I only have so much free time.  But it will be fun.
nondescriptmale (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:54:02 PM

Thanks! I expect it will be awhile before I am at a point where I can contribute anything useful, but will look for ways to help when I get up and running with a dev environment.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:27:49 AM

Take notes on the parts that aren't clear, and if possible, what finally makes it click for you.  The notes and diagrams that etotheipi wrote when he was writing Armory are very useful, and you can help by expanding that.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
nondescriptmale (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:47:14 AM

Take notes on the parts that aren't clear, and if possible, what finally makes it click for you.  The notes and diagrams that etotheipi wrote when he was writing Armory are very useful, and you can help by expanding that.

Good Idea.  BTW, where can I find these notes and diagrams?  I took a quick glance at the BitcoinArmory repository on github and the Armory web site and didn't seem them.  Are they somewhere in the main bitcoin github repository?  I'll look for them there tomorrow.
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 07:36:12 AM

Nope, no plans to re-implement.  Just want to see how it works, learn how some of the other interesting alt coins work, and see where that leads.  Maybe even contribute something useful someday.  It will be a slow process as I only have so much free time.  But it will be fun.
In such case your topic's title is very misleading Smiley

nondescriptmale (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:31:26 PM

In such case your topic's title is very misleading Smiley

I agree.  Later today I will edit my original post to clarify what I meant.
cnk

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 12:13:50 PM

BTW, where can I find these notes and diagrams?

Bitcoin wiki (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Main_Page) is probably the best source of technical information about bitcoin protocol.
You can find etotheipi's diagrams there (e.g., https://en.bitcoin.it/w/images/en/7/70/Bitcoin_OpCheckSig_InDetail.png, https://en.bitcoin.it/w/images/en/9/9b/PubKeyToAddr.png).
nondescriptmale (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 07:16:49 AM

BTW, where can I find these notes and diagrams?

Bitcoin wiki (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Main_Page) is probably the best source of technical information about bitcoin protocol.
You can find etotheipi's diagrams there (e.g., https://en.bitcoin.it/w/images/en/7/70/Bitcoin_OpCheckSig_InDetail.png, https://en.bitcoin.it/w/images/en/9/9b/PubKeyToAddr.png).

Thanks! These will be very helpful.  I am already slowly working my way through the wiki.  Hadn't noticed these diagrams yet.  I am quite fond of diagrams so will probably make a few myself in time.  I will be sure to share them so people can decide if they would be helpful to others.
nondescriptmale (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 06:24:28 PM

Well, progress is happening.  I spec'ed out a computer and placed an order.  Should arrive next week.  Bought a pair of monitors to set up a dual-monitor development station at home.  Also ordered a GIGABYTE Radeon R9 290 to play with some litecoin mining.  That should arrive next week, too.  I figure I can't fully understand crypto-currencies unless I also experience first-hand the joys and pains of mining.  in addition to that I've been doing a lot of reading in the evenings.  Been lurking in the forums here and on Reddit as well as reading up on the basics of peer-to-peer networks, how to use Git, what JSON is, etc, etc.   I've hardly turned on the TV at all these last couple of week.  Now *that's* an ROI not measured in $!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: