Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:32:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGox buys bitomat.pl  (Read 1825 times)
Philj (OP)

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 11:14:23 AM

On the MTGox support/news page there is a statement that MTGox is buying bitomat.pl and restoring all the bitomat.pl users coins (assuming from MTGox profits/reserves).

How do you think this will affect the market? I can see a few things happening.

1) 17,000 coins are now back in the hands of people that lost them for a few weeks so there will be a quick dump from the people that just want to take their money before something else happens to it.

2) A somewhat isolated exchange will now add its traffic into the main exchange and prices will rise.

3) the numbers affected by bitomat.pl are small in comparison to the overall market, and will have no noticeable effect.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 11:33:45 AM

It just goes to demonstrate how poorly 'Tom Williams' handled the mybitcoin incident.

If he wasn't so bloody precious about his anonymity - he could've potentially come up with a similar arrangement with some investor.

mybitcoin would have been worth much more than the Polish exchange too. I can't believe he trashed that brand.. all over a mere 75,000 coins or so.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
julz
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 11:38:54 AM

I think the feel-good factor for this move will extend beyond Poland.

It's now one less thing the rabid anti-bitcoiners can use to naysay us with.
Ok - it's still bad it happened in the first place, but that a transaction like this can take place in the bitcoin community - a form of free-market 'consumer protection'.... that's just awesome.

I doubt the impact on price will be immediate or large.. but it may make a difference in how some of the upcoming news coverage is slanted.. so it's a good long-term signal.
Good move by mtgox for sure.

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 12:00:19 PM

This is good news. Also, SEPA transfers are going to be back soon and more reliable than ever. And all international wires will be easier and cheaper. https://support.mtgox.com/entries/20344112-euro-banking-update

Now we just need the release of the new Bitcoin client with built-in encryption and I feel there will be a substantial rally.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 12:00:38 PM

Ok - it's still bad it happened in the first place, but that a transaction like this can take place in the bitcoin community - a form of free-market 'consumer protection'.... that's just awesome.

Yeah, just awesome that more of a "decentralized"coin gets centralized under one exchange! Just awesome! >.<

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
julz
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 12:11:32 PM

Yeah, just awesome that more of a "decentralized"coin gets centralized under one exchange! Just awesome! >.<

heh.. funny you should mention that.. I noted my reservations on exchange consolidation on the corresponding thread in discussion.

Nevertheless..  the stain on the entire bitcoin ecosystem caused by the bitomat failure was enough that I think on balance this is good.
There are still plenty of opportunities for exchanges to pop up and compete.

kiwiasian

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 03:23:26 PM

Great, so MtGox reimburses those people but doesn't reimburse those who lost funds during the hack. Great.

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 04:01:50 PM

Great, so MtGox reimburses those people but doesn't reimburse those who lost funds during the hack. Great.

Good point. Very good point.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 06:11:35 PM

I'm not sure many (if any?) people actually lost coins... who are you referring to?  My impression was that, at maximum, 1-2k coins were missing, and it was all from the one large account that got hacked. There was not some vast swatch of account holders who lost coins. Am I mistaken?
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 06:19:34 PM

Roll Eyes
Buying non-existent coins which were added to the system by a hacker, and then getting your money back after, doesn't = "lost funds."

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2011, 06:45:03 PM

Who lost funds during the hack and wasn't reimbursed? My impression that the only people who weren't reimbursed were those who gained funds due to the hack.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
kiwiasian

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 07:25:10 PM

My account was hacked, and my money was stolen....

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 08:16:06 PM

Who lost funds during the hack and wasn't reimbursed? My impression that the only people who weren't reimbursed were those who gained funds due to the hack.
The entire Mt.Gox user database was in the hacker's hands for at least several days prior to the big hack. None of the people that were hacked prior to the big hack were ever reimbursed.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: